Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Floating Gurus..

Re: Floating Gurus..

Yajvan: Oh you're probably right. I was just making comments as to someone's suggestion as to the unholiness of it... or ego of it. Having said that, I do believe there are quite a few different siddhis. Perhaps some come before others too. That's a possibility. Masters even speak from their own experience. I don't know. Its all a long ways above me, other that from what I learned from reading books, or listening to other's words.

Clearly you have studied Patanjali more than I have.

I have witnessed someone using siddhis once or twice, quite by accident, I think. You never know. Certainly it wasn't to show off to me. But then again, I wouldn't relate this stuff to many people unless I saw a purpose, and I'm just the observer of the siddhi, not the doer of one.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Floating Gurus..

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Why do I comment on this subject? I am hopeful to bring a level of understanding to this matter. Many times what we hear becomes confused, conversations become facts and is taken a truth. This then perpetuates over time, and for me, I see this as a less then desirable condition.

EM offers the following,
    Perhaps some (siddhi-s) come before others too

This is true. This is the 'grooming' process. But lets talk about the macro-grooming process. Lets say one is of a tamasic nature and says I wish to pursue these siddhi's - I want to be great, to own this power. What happens? their intent is weak and they give up in a short time because of their nature. But let's say they stay-the-course and keep to the practice. No siddhi's will unfold until there is purification.

Purifcation is the infusion of sattva. What occurs? Tamas is being washed away. One's selfish intent in the beginning is superceded
    by the sattvic expansion, and one's intent changes to spiritual unfoldment. Siddhi becomes a vehicle - more specifically Saṁyama is that vehicle. So, if you start with mischief on your mind, you do not end with it, you end in the uplifted condition spurred by sattva.

So all this nervousness of promoting ego or a person getting stuck in some rut of siddhi-possession is for me, something I do not buy into.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information