Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to quiet the mind for meditation/chanting?

How to quiet the mind for meditation/chanting?

I've been doing chanting of different mantras but often find it difficult to keep my concentration centered on the Deity. My mind always seems to wander and I have to pull it back in time and time again. Makes the process frustrating. Does anyone have suggestions on how they stay focused? Any techniques or tricks?

I've also been doing some guidied meditation and that helps with regular meditation but I want to stay focued during chanting.

Re: How to quiet the mind for meditation/chanting?

Namaste Smith,

mano->vAkku->kAyam - thought->words->action. While doing puja to our ishta devata (favourite deity), all these channels are regulated towards the deity, so there is much less digression. The idol/picture of the deity itself is a channel and a visual symbol to the personal God it represents, which is again a channel to Brahman. Herein lies the power and principle of idol worship: it is not the idol that is worshipped but the God that the idol represents as a symbol and channel. In more mundane terms, it is like clicking an icon to initiate a task on our personal computer. Or being directed by the numerous icons that we find everywhere in the modern world.

Now, when we chant a mantra outside the activity of a puja, the vakku channel is regulated but the other two are not, because there is no physically visual reference as in the case of a puja. Manas, by its very nature, jumps from thought to thought like a monkey, and does more harm to the purpose of chanting than the action channel which depends on the other two. So only the mind needs to be controlled, which is definitely not easy.

I think that the following suggestions might help in controlling the mind during mantra chanting:

1. Try to chant the Sanskrit words and phrases of the mantra with the correct pronunciation, accent and pause, in a way that is audible to you. You may speak out the words loudly to start with, even though this is supposed to be the least efficient (adhama) way of chanting. I think this is possible even if you are not Sanskrit-literate. Once it gets going, you may choose to do the chanting in the middle madhyama way by lisping the words to yourself and finally in the ideal uttama way, listening to your mind's voice as it speaks out the words within your innerspace. Practising these types of chanting might help you do away with unnecessary thoughts. If you happen to know the phrase-wise meaning of the mantra, it contributes greatly to concentration.

2. A second way to concentrate might be to contemplate on the features and glories of the deity the mantra is chanted to. If it is Sri Ganesha, for example, think about the aspects of his external form, his beautiful eyes, his trunk, belly, the folded legs, the hands and the objects they carry, what he wears around his neck, and so on. While remembering the external features you might explore the spiritual aspects of Sri Ganesha that these external aspects are meant to stand for. For example, the whole body of Ganesha is in the form of Aum, the pranava mantra. Once the contemplation on the physical form is fluent, you might choose to think about Ganesha's glories and lilas (sports).

The whole idea of Bhakti is to relate to your personal God. Known as the bhakti bhava, this might be any relationship. The usual ones are: dAsya bhava - master-servant, putra bhava - father-son, mitra bhava - Ganesha is your friend! and nAyaki bhava - Husband-wife.

The most reverred poet Subramanya Bharati of Tamiladu was a bhakta of Sri Krishna. He has related himself to Krishna in the dasya bhava (with himself as the master and Krishna as his servant!), mitra bhava and nayaki bhava (with himself as Krishna's wife and even Krishna as his wife, naming her 'Kannamma'). Bharati is also a great Jnani and a Karma Veera, and above all, a great patriot, and was among the top leaders of Tamilnadu in the Freedom Movement.

3. Finally, there is something known as ajapa japa. In this form of chanting the mantra is woven into your breathing so it runs in the background, while you do your normal work in the foreground.

My more enlightened friends here might guide you further. I appreciate your sincereity and devotion in your chosen path.
    Last edited by saidevo; 27 August 2006 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith
    I've been doing chanting of different mantras but often find it difficult to keep my concentration centered on the Deity. My mind always seems to wander and I have to pull it back in time and time again. Makes the process frustrating. Does anyone have suggestions on how they stay focused? Any techniques or tricks?

I've also been doing some guidied meditation and that helps with regular meditation but I want to stay focued during chanting.
    With practice it should go away. Observe that if you feel a touch peace and bliss during and after the chanting. Focus on that feeling. This should be done after chanting or after any upasana. This is more important than picture perfect visualzation of a deity

Prioir to starting upasana it is advicible to make the mind silent by using prayanama, anapanasati or some such technique.

-- 2 cents.

It is a problem everyone has to face. It is severe on some days and smooth on others.

Patience and perseverance are the two main requirements and (as my Guru teaches) there is no way better than the way prescribed in Gita. Whenever the mind flies away bring it back gently. Little by little.

I have found another message of my Guru and also of Upanishads very supportive. Guru teaches that "Control of mind is the goal and no task is more important than that". In a Upanishad Varuna teaches his son, Bhrigu :Concentration of mind is Brahman".

Usually the distraction is due to attention going out to thoughts of pending tasks or discussions herein or some other worries. I try to remind and coax the loved mind that no task is more important than the mind staying with God. And often it helps.

SM's suggestion is also valuable. Staying put silently before and after japa is often more useful than the japa itself. Japa is not the goal but a mean. Similarly, Anuloma-Viloma (alternate nostril pranayama) before the japa is excellent to steady the mind.

But finally, it is one's patience/perseverance and god's grace.

Om Namah Shivayya

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo
    He has related himself to Krishna in the dasya bhava (with himself as the master and Krishna as his servant)
    It is not the other way round ?? Krishna as master and the upasak as servant. Never heard anyone regarding Krishna as a servant.

Quote Originally Posted by sm78
    It is not the other way round ?? Krishna as master and the upasak as servant. Never heard anyone regarding Krishna as a servant.
    It is said that Lord is a devotee of his devotees. However, it is not proper to assume that especially when you have not transcended the laws of Karma.

I am reminded of this tale.

There were two friends, one of who was a devotee of Narasimha and another one a worshipper of spirits. Both were quite accomplished in their own worship. The former could call Narasimha at his wish and the latter could invoke the spirit at his command.

One day the latter summoned his spirit to serve him betel and arecanut, which the spirit did. He boasted to his freind about how his spirit would do anything, even menial job for him. The former was now eager to prove to himself that his Narasimha would do whatever he commands. He called Narasimha, and then asked him to do the same.

Lord Narasimha did so, and then left with the message - "Since you have not realized the difference between a spirit and me, this will be my last visit to you in this birth." Lord Narasimha is meant to deliver you from the wheel of life and death unlike the spirit, and if you expect him to be your servant, you might loose him for a long time.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudarshan
    There were two friends, one of who was a devotee of Narasimha and another one a worshipper of spirits. Both were quite accomplished in their own worship. The former could call Narasimha at his wish and the latter could invoke the spirit at his command.

One day the latter summoned his spirit to serve him betel and arecanut, which the spirit did. He boasted to his freind about how his spirit would do anything, even menial job for him. The former was now eager to prove to himself that his Narasimha would do whatever he commands. He called Narasimha, and then asked him to do the same.

Lord Narasimha did so, and then left with the message - "Since you have not realized the difference between a spirit and me, this will be my last visit to you in this birth." Lord Narasimha is meant to deliver you from the wheel of life and death unlike the spirit, and if you expect him to be your servant, you might loose him for a long time.
    Indeed a powerful message in this simple story!

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    . My mind always seems to wander and I have to pull it back in time and time again. Makes the process frustrating. Does anyone have suggestions on how they stay focused? Any techniques or tricks?

Namaste Mumuksu ( one desiring liberation).

The wandering mind is doing what it knows... looking for more, for happiness. This is the wondering we all experience. JUst as a bee goes from flower to flower to collect and search for more, so does the mind.
    Disciplining or controlling the mind causes strain.
    This strain works against settling down the mind.

Chanting is one approach for your sadhana. Meditation is another. With meditation it’s all about allowing the mind to “withdraw, then withdraw from the withdrawal”.
    Simple meditation with bija mantra is a good start. There is no control , the mind with the bija mantra settles down the mind and with that the mind goes inward.
    To what? To silence. No forcing, no pushing is done with this simple approach.

If there is interest here, I will add to this post... the profound wisdom here is to be simple.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

If there is interest here, I will add to this post... the profound wisdom here is to be simple.
    namaste Yajvan,
    Thank you for the post. For the benefit of all...don't hold back. Please add more...
    satay

Love is the only weapon that can assist in focussing the mind, because it is the strongest binding force.

Cant you spend an entire day on the lap of your sweetheart, fully focussed and without knowing the passage of time?

God is exactly the same. Meditation becomes one of joy when one has a similar love for God, without which even a few minutes can look like hours.

What can increase one's love for God? Read Puranas, and iihasas like Srimad Bhagavatam, which can cause tears of love even in unemotional persons. Read the stories of bhaktas like Prahlada, Narada etc - these are very contageous.

Before sitting in meditation one must read portions of puranas that brim with devotion and make you emotional and full of love and in a 'crying' mood. This is the perfect setting to do meditation.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Thread Information