http://journeytozen.wordpress.com/20...-on-the-light/
Concentrate on the Light

Many a times, especially here in the west, we have self hatred and self criticism. It is as if our own worst enemy is the tormentor in our head as Eckhart Tolle says. There is constant chattering of our failures, shortcomings, and mistakes. We are quick to blame ourselves and feel that we are hopeless.

This is not a good way to live. The more we dwell on certain thoughts, the more neural pathways are wired in our brain which sends chemical messages to cells in our body. Our cells act in respond to that and so we keep reinforcing the ideas of our failures and shortcomings. Hence, the self fulfilling prophecies. The good news is you can change these neural pathways and change the cells in your body. Many experiments have proven this.

Paramhansa Yogananda has said a lot in his talks that we should focus on the light. Don’t dwell too much on your mistakes. Realize the faults you have done and learn from them, but do not dwell on them. Our mistakes and faults can be the fuel for our enlightenment. When you are angry and you see and witness your anger simply recognize it. You may want to take some breaths mindfully in and out. Do not start self criticizing about how you are always angry. Instead remember times in which you showed exemplary patience. Recall that these good times were the Soul’s manifestation in the present reality.

Parmhansa Yogananda said:
“Remember: No matter how much you are accustomed to being unhappy, you must adopt the antidote of happiness. Each act of being happy will help you cultivate the habit of always being happy. Pay no attention if your mind tells you that you can never be happy. Just remember to start being happy now, and every moment say, “I am happy now!” If you can continuously do that, then, when you look back, you can say, “I have been very happy.” When you look at yourself now, you will say, “I am happy,” and when you look ahead, you will say, “I know I shall be happy.” All your future happiness depends upon how happy you are now, so start being happy NOW” (From “How to Be Happy All the Time” by Paramhansa Yogananda).

It is significant that Yogananda and many other Yogis of many traditions have said that happiness is found here and now. As we have seen Thich Nhat Hanh says that the Pure Land is found here and now. So if we want to deal with our sadness, anger, lusts, and negative traits, instead of criticizing ourselves we need to act in the now. If we see an unwholesome trait we may say, “this is conditioned egocentrity acting, but I am the Changless Pure Soul”.

Yogananda and others calls us again and again to remember that we are Souls with a body, not bodies with a soul. There is a difference, because many of our mental afflictions and what not manifest because we are attached to form. If you notice the arising of unwholesomeness take some deep breaths slowly and turn inward and affirm that you are a child of God. Not God as some monarch King on a throne, but GOD as INFINITE CONSCIOUSNESS that is FULL LOVE.

I find a good technique to simply detach, even if only pretending, from the body and affirm the power of your Soul which is unconditioned. I like to sometimes stop for a moment and breath in and out and tell myself that my Soul is flooding this body with happiness and this happiness is manifesting out to all around me.

“Our soul is God Siva’s emanational creation, the source of all our higher functions, including knowledge, will and love. Our soul is neither male nor female. It is that which never dies, even when its four outer sheaths-physical, pranic, instinctive and mental-change form and perish as they naturally do.” (Taken from Dancing with Siva: Hinduism’s Contemporary Catechism” by Satguru Sivaya Subramuniyaswami)

“The Essence of our soul, which was never created, is immanent love and transcendent reality and is identical and eternally one with God siva. At the core of our being, we already are That-perfect at this very moment. Aum.” (Taken from same source as above)

Just remember when you dwell on your bad traits you are just strengthening your self criticism. Remember always that you are the Changeless soul, you are ultimate Reality. Remember your emotions, body, and mistakes are not your true nature. You are God but you have forgotten. You are truely the manifestation of Divine Mother. You are infinite in your core. Do not forget this, and if you do forget it, then remember again and again. Because this is all God’s play, and he pretends to forget his true nature, and pretends to remember. Don’t take life too seriously.