Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Request: Temples sub forum

Request: Temples sub forum

Greetings to all at HDF

Dear Satay,

It’s my very humble request, if we could have a sub-forum named “Temples (with subdivisions ‘temples in North India’, east, west and the south and ‘temples outside India’.)

The numerous temples scattered throughout India might differ in the ceremonies,
    some are known for its exquisite art,
    the pratiṣṭha might be different,
    some are centuries-old,
    and some are notable temples that were witnesses of many a turning point in Indian history or even some are buried in a stunning landscape.

The energy that emerges from these temples, I am sure, adorns India as a major centre of religion.

So, let this initiative be towards an enjoyment of our culture, piety, the pretty towns associated with Hindu legends and a strengthening of our beliefs.

With text and images for even the internet users to search for…

'In his seva'

Thanks and bliss

Please ignore it if it is a repeated request

Re: Request: Temples sub forum

Sample post

Shri. Padmanabhaswamy Temple- Trivandrum, Kerala

Padmanabhaswamy temple is a famous temple of Lord Vishnu, located inside the Fort in the city ofThiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India. The temple is one of the 108 divya desam, the holiest abodes of Lord Vishnu.
    The main deity, Padmanabhaswamy, is a form of Vishnuin Anananthasayanam posture (in eternal sleep of yognidra). This is an ancient temple and the city of Thiruvananthapuram derives its name from the name of the presiding deity enshrined in the temple.

Temple and its huge pond

Gopuram
    The temple has a 100 foot, seven-tier gopuram. The temple stands by the side of a tank, named Padma Theertham (meaning the lotus spring). The temple has a corridor with 365 and one-quarter sculptured granite-stone pillars with elaborate carvings. This corridor extends from the eastern side into the sanctum sanctorum. An eighty-foot flag-staff stands in front of the main entry from the 'prakaram' (corridor). The ground floor under the gopuram (main entrance in the eastern side) is known as the 'Nataka Sala' where the famous temple art, Kathakali was staged in the night during the ten-day uthsavam (festival) conducted twice a year, during the Malayalam months of Meenam and Thulam.

Temple at night during festival

The pond

The idol is made up of 12008 salagramams that compose the reclining lord. They are special because they are from Nepal, from the banks of river Gandhaki and they were brought to the temple with all pomp and gaiety on elephant top. On top of them "katusarkara yogam",navaratnams, a special ayurvedic mix, was used to give a plaster.

Lord Shri. Padmanabha

Darshan times are (before noon) 3.30-4.45, 6.30-7.00, 8.30-10.00, 10.30-11.00, 11.45-12.00; (after noon) 5.00-6.15 and 6.45-7.20. Only Hindus are permitted inside the temple. Devotees have to strictly follow the dress code. Men should remove clothes above waist and deposit in the locker room. No one is permitted to wear dress that displays both legs separately. This means no pants for men or churidhar for women. Dhotis can be borrowed at the locker room for Rs. 15. Dhotis can be worn over pants or churidhar. No cell phones or cameras are permitted inside the temple. Cell phones must be deposited in the locker room after taking it out of the bag for Rs. 15 a piece. Hand bags are permitted inside.

It Can be with more details and pictures

Brahman: I second the motion. Templenet has a lot listed but there is something different about personal testimony, which could go on here. That's how this site could be different. For just the basic information, Templenet is really good, though.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Brahman: I second the motion. Templenet has a lot listed but there is something different about personal testimony, which could go on here. That's how this site could be different. For just the basic information, Templenet is really good, though.

Aum Namasivaya
    I third this motion. I love hearing stories such as these, it makes me feel like we are a community here.

namaste

namaste brahman,

Thank you for the feedback. It is an interesting idea and I like it.
    Are you thinking that members will be posting about temples that they have visited or would like to visit etc.? That would be an interesting thread. Though I think there are several sites on the net that talk about temples. The last thing we want is to have empty forums and subforums on HDF where no one posts. Empty forums are not good for the search engines and don't do anything for the members. That said, we could give it a try and see...

Please give me a few days to think about it.
    satay

To broaden the idea out, perhaps some of us could post photos and whatnot even if we don't have the lovely layout presented in the OP?

I have some beautiful pics a friend sent me, plus many saved images from general collections.

It would be really nice to have a magnificent thread
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Vannakkam: Maybe as a suggestion everyone could take a look at what's already on Templenet and other sites before posting about a temple here. Otherwise its unnecessary redundancy and more copy and paste.

Aum Namasivaya

Dear Satay,
    Thanks a lot for your reply and time.

I wish ‘HDFTemple’ be unique and outstanding with the contributions of our majestic community.

And thanks all members for backing this request.

Love and Bliss

Namaste all,

Thanks Brahman & Satay. It is a very good suggestion. I would like that some other useful information too should be provided on these places for the benefit of the forum members :

a) Any suggestion on staying
    b) How to avoid harassment from Pandas/agents etc.
    c) How to commute around in the best possible manner
    d) Any special preparation in advance which may help
    e) Anything special to wear etc.
    f) Timings which are important for darshan etc.

etc.

This may become a very useful forum.

Anyone has gone to Badrinath/Kedarnath/Gangotri ? I am interested to know more about it though I have information collected from internet.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thanks Devotee.
    'a complete thread' would be a beautiful idea.

Thread Information