Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 2 MEDITATION

New 2 MEDITATION

hi,
    i am 22 yrs old.i feel i have practiced self control in many ways for some time now.in my short personal experience,i found out that brahmacharya is quite different from 'not experiencing pleasurable thoughts'.i now understand why it is penance and i also invariably agree that it is the best penance. i thought, let me go 2 the next step of meditation,but i dont know anythin about meditation. i also have a doubt how meditation is different from sandhya vandana. because while doin sandhya,we do pranayama.so isnt this like,including meditation.

also,i dont know how 2 look at the tip of my nose.i mean when i concentrate or look at my tip,the nose disappears and i am not looking at anythin.and,what should i think while i meditate? i guess nothin? and should i chant aum in my mind or not?

and also, what if i have 2 go outside somewhere and eat some in- appropriate food?
    please guide me from start.
    thank you.
    Sarva DharmAAn Parityajya

Re: New 2 MEDITATION

Namaste Amith Vikram,
    The ways of meditation are many and i am sure others here will surely be of great help in guiding you in the right path.
    but first and foremost since you said that you perform Sandhya vandana, this can become your first step towards meditation.
    Sandhya = union and Vandana = salutation\praying.

as you may be knowing, a dwija\brahmachari is to perform trikaala sandhya vandana.
    1: pratah kaala(where the night shifts into day)
    2: Maadhyanika (where forenoon shifts into afternoon)
    3: Saayam kaala (where the day shifts into night)
    in all these cases, its the sandhya\union \transition of the Sun from one phase to another which is very crucial for the entire Earth where in even if one ray of the Sun escapes filtering during any of these transitions, then natural disaster can occur. This is
    the reason a dwija prays to Surya\Sun during these transition period to protect the entire World with His grace. and even this prayer is not done in a selfish motive, but done with a prayer seeking guidance from the Sun with the chanting of the Gayatri Mantra.
    "Om Bhur Bhuvah Svah,
    Tat Savitur varenyam,
    Bhargo devasya dheemahi,
    Dheeyo yo nah prachodayaat"
    Om : The primary sound\vibration\energy wave which is responsible for entire creation
    Bhur : Bhoomi\Earth
    Bhuvah:entire celestial system surrounding Bhoomi
    Svah: everything that is beyond this celestial system also
    Tat :that
    Savitur: Surya\Sun
    varenyam: excellent\most supreme
    Bhargo : light
    devasya : from that God( Surya)
    dheemahi: meditate upon
    Dheeyo : buddhi\intellect
    yo nah : of us
    prachodayaat: be motivated\guided
    in total the Gayatri Mantra states "O Surya, the most benevolent\Supreme one , one whose light spreads\supports the Earth, the celestial system and beyond, let us meditate\focus\concentrate on that light of yours so that you guide us by improving our intellect".
    This is chanted during the transition periods so that the effect of chanting will be maximum.
    Thus for starting meditation, if one chants the Gayatri Mantra(its called Gayatri mantra since its in the metre\chandas of Gayatri) and focusses in his\her inner eye upon the radiance and knowledge\guidance passed by the Sun, then the person will improve his\her knowledge(which will in turn help the person to progress).
    in every case, Transition is the most crucial part.
    example. even though a mother is very careful while a baby is growing inside her and also growing outside(after birth), still the transition\process of giving birth is the most crucial and life threatening one.
    Even though one does not perform Sandhya Vandana during all the unions, whenever one performs, if the focus is upon following the path enlightened by Surya(the knower of all Vedas), then the whole process of Sandhya Vandana will be effective.
    Hope this helps.
    Best Regards,
    mukunda

Namaste amith: Firstly, I am absolutely no expert. But I do feel its a slow process, and one must start very simply, not with some complex overly long unreachable idea. That method is sure to disappoint.

The fact that you can practice brahmacarya says a ton about will.

So here are a few very simple suggestions.
    1) spine straight, head balanced, comfortable position, preferably cross-legged on floor (lotus only if you're comfortable, don't force it)
    2) regulated breath, same count in (often 9 counts mentally) as out, breathing diaphramatically (sp) (Natural breathing, same way as you sleep)
    3) sitting absolutely still, no movement
    4) 5 minutes at first, don't overpush yourself .. ever
    5) same time and place every day

After this is mastered for say 6 months or more, then ask again, and someone will take you deeper.

Having said this, the views on meditation and what it is vary tremendously from different schools, and teachers. Everything from relaxation exercises, prayer, reflecting thoughts, yoga asanas, etc has been called 'meditation'. You will notice this in readings because people (teachers, students) add adjectives like transcendental, Christian, kundalini, etc in front of the word. This just shows the wide variety.

Hope this helps a bit.

Aum namasivaya

namaste all,
    thank you for the response.
    i have some more doubts to both mukunda and EM...
    thank you so much for explaining the gayatri mantra.although i had read from so many other sources,the meanings of bhuvah and suvah wasnt clear 2 me. anyway,can u also please tell me about the 24 mudras that one should do before the japa?and the anganyasa and the karanyasa?and,whom exactly do we pray,surya or gayatri? i was of the opinion that since gayatri is the shakti rupini,you know the manifest 'that',we are actually praying gayatri devi.pls clarify this doubt.i had an awful brahmopadesha(mantras without their intent),so.

how many types of meditation are practiced?i think i have heard of kundalini somewhere and the chakras.which is the meditation as suggested in the gita?

and also what abt the nose tip trouble?
    pls help
    thanks

Namaste amith:

I'm sorry, but I don't understand any of the last post. You obviously know a lot more than I do about meditation and prayer. I must have misunderstood your first post. I thought you knew nothing from that so I gave you very basic stuff that I know of. I think we are on two different wavelengths. I'm on the practical side, and you're on the theory side. One is intellectual, and the other is intuitive. Therefore, I'm out. Sorry my advice was not of use.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Amith,

Meditation is a practice which takes you towards Super-consciousness & it may ultimately reveal the True Self to the seeker.

It is not Sandhya Vandana. Sandhya Vandana is an outwardly practice. In Meditation you go inward. Pranayam too is not meditation but it is "preparing yourself for meditation".

"Looking at the tip of your nose" :

When you look at the tip of the nose, the nose gets blurred ... it doesn't disappear. Keeping your eye-gaze at some point is part of meditation practice. It varies from one type to the other.

"What to think while meditating" :

This depends upon what type of meditation you are doing. In Vipassana meditation (Buddhist practice), you are just watching your breath without adding any thought to it. However, Hindu practices start with holding on to one thought initially.

"Chanting OM mentally or not": It depends upon what meditation you are doing. In Mantra meditation (Mahesh Yogi & others), you have to chant it mentally. However, it is not so in all meditation practices.

"Going out & eating inappropriate food etc." :

Everything whatever you do affects your meditation. How you interact with people, what you read, what types of people you meet, what you eat, how much you eat, what you think, what you do .... etc. etc.

The food you eat also affects your meditation. So, it is advisable to eat Sattvik foods. However, if not possible, you may eat whatever you feel appropriate but it may affect your meditation on that day.

It is advisable to learn meditation from some good teacher/Guru as it may take you to unknown mental realms & it is advisable to have blessings of a Guru. There are many organisations which teach meditational practices : Maharishi Yogananda's organisation (SRF & YSS), Maharishi Mahesh Yogi's organisation (Transcendental Meditation) ,Brahma Kumaris, "Art of Living" by Sri Sri Ravishankar, Vipassana Centres (Buddhist) in India and abroad run by Sri Goenka, Vijnana Bhairava Tantra (by organisation of Swami Lakshman joo), Ramkrishna Mission etc.

For preliminary understanding, you may visit this website :

www.meditationiseasy.com

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Please accept this discription:

Classic old-time 20 min Silent Meditation:

1 - Sit alone quietly, eyes closed, wait a moment . . . then

2 - Silently repeat a short mantra(mono-syllabic is Okay) or prayer-mantra.

3 - Repeat step #2 for 20 minutes*.

4 - At finish, direct attention to any points of discomfort in the body. End.

*During step #2-3, the mind will wander away from the task of the mantra repeatition. When that happens, simple return to repeating the mantra.

Quote Originally Posted by amith vikram View Post
    namaste all,
    thank you for the response.
    i have some more doubts to both mukunda and EM...
    thank you so much for explaining the gayatri mantra.although i had read from so many other sources,the meanings of bhuvah and suvah wasnt clear 2 me. anyway,can u also please tell me about the 24 mudras that one should do before the japa?and the anganyasa and the karanyasa?and,whom exactly do we pray,surya or gayatri? i was of the opinion that since gayatri is the shakti rupini,you know the manifest 'that',we are actually praying gayatri devi.pls clarify this doubt.i had an awful brahmopadesha(mantras without their intent),so.

how many types of meditation are practiced?i think i have heard of kundalini somewhere and the chakras.which is the meditation as suggested in the gita?

and also what abt the nose tip trouble?
    pls help
    thanks
    Namaste Amith Vikram
    first of all the Gayatri Mantra is called so because of two primary reasons.
    1: the sloka word placing follows the Gayatri Chandas(grammar format)
    2: The chanting of the sloka gives rise to Shakti Rupinis aura(as you have mentioned)
    also this mantra is sometimes called as Savitri mantra also(because it is about Savitur).
    In total, the Gayatri mantra is about asking Surya Bhagwan for guidance.
    This mantra was first concieved by Rishi Vishwamitra after tapasya(as Sri Krishna says in the Gita, he first explained all the concepts to Surya). So Surya is the knower of the Vedas(yat vid iti veda, whatever is vidya\knowledge is called veda, not just the one written in the books).
    the mudras, anga nyasa kara nyasa are best known if explained face to face(my suggestion is , please seek help of a person who does Sandhya vandana and knows what he\she is doing). however the introduction to these are explained in this link
    http://tamilelibrary.org/sadhana/archives/213

about brahmopadesha\upanayana samskaara\thread initiation ceremony in India, mostly this is the case where its mantras without intent sadly. In my case, my Guru who did brahmopadesha was willing to explain, but I was having brahmopadesha more so since everyone else was a brahmachari, and thought that its a status symbol. I am still trying to learn it the hard way.
    Best regards,
    mukunda

namaste all,
    thank you so much for your inputs.it was very helpful.

well, i have another doubt which i feel is right 2 express here.
    a few months back i was reading the upanishads(edited,english version) and all of a sudden,i felt something open inside my forehead. i dont know if it was my imagination or anythin like that,but is there a possibility that the 3rd eye will open just like that. i dont know if it true or not. anyone with similar experience?

Namaste Amith
    you wrote "all of a sudden,i felt something open inside my forehead. i dont know if it was my imagination or anythin like that,but is there a possibility that the 3rd eye will open just like that. i dont know if it true or not. anyone with similar experience?"
    If you want to make sure its not any wild hallucination\imagination, then next time you get the same feeling, close your eyes and focus your energy on that point where you felt some opening. then after dedicated focussing, you might experience that particular portion starting vibrating and some other small changes. these confirm that your Ajna chakra\third eye or the eye which opens a portal to the astral plane has opened. Please remember not to over strain yourself in order to achieve this. this should be like a free flow of water. it requires some stages of practise to reach the astral planes and stay there.also after you feel satisfied\felt that you have concentrated enough on the third eye\Ajna chakra, then slowly come down to the physical plane and open your eyes.
    Its best to experience all this under the guidance of a Guru. as you know from the Gayatri mantra itself, we all need a guiding force since anything can turn ugly if misused. its not to scare anyone, but the maximum effects of any sadhana can be achieved under the guidance of a Guru only.
    for your information: from what you have described, it looks like your Ajna Chakra which became active and opened.
    Best Regards,
    mukunda

Thread Information