Thread: How to practice asceticism?

How to practice asceticism?

I am not a Hindu, but I would like the Hindu perspective on how to practice asceticism. Personally, I find this lifestyle appealing, especially the ability to conquer your desires and impulses. I always admired people who can lead very austere lives; but keep in mind, I don't aspire to be a sadhu. I just want to purge some of the vices I've acquired over the years.

Re: How to practice asceticism?

Vannakkam explorer: Personally, I would recommend a website called simpleliving.net It isn't asceticism, but it is certainly about simplifying. It has a nice discussion forum as well. Things like money, downsizing, living on less etc. are all discussed. Of course some of this would depend on your starting point, I guess, which none of us know. Hopefully you're not a millionaire as you may have a ways to go.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté e-o-t-m

Quote Originally Posted by explorer_of_the_mind View Post
    I am not a Hindu, but I would like the Hindu perspective on how to practice asceticism. Personally, I find this lifestyle appealing, especially the ability to conquer your desires and impulses. I always admired people who can lead very austere lives; but keep in mind, I don't aspire to be a sadhu. I just want to purge some of the vices I've acquired over the years.
    Let me ask what is your point of view on being an ascetic? What impressions do you have about this? How would you define a sādhu ?
    And your thoughts of a sādhu being different then an ascetic?

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 07 February 2010 at 08:49 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Basically, my point of view on being ascetic is the ability to separate wants from needs, and to value needs over wants. I think you can practice an ascetic lifestyle without specifically being a mendicant sadhu; in other words, you can life a simple life without becoming a sadhu.

What I am really driving at is this: how do I overcome desires for wants and how do I learn to focus primarily on needs?

Vannakkam Explorer:

Did you look at the website I recommended?

I face the same question of wants over needs all the time. Perhaps we all do. When making a purchase, for example, not being compulsive really helps. I also think upbringing helps. My father was very utilitarian economically. "If it doesn't have a practical use, don't buy it." was his motto. So luxuries were out. Then when I married young, had a spouse who together with me, decided to stay at home with the kids, on my salary we HAD to practice minimalism to survive.

But in Hinduism, wealth is also one of the legitimate goals of the householder. Its just hat he's supposed to use this wealth in charitable or religious ways. I also think I see less of the 'keeping up with the Joneses' attitude within Hindus, although that may be an illusion. I don't know that many people.

As your name indicates, an exploration of consumer drive and how to control it is a worthy task. If more of us do it, it will benefit the planet.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté e-o-t-m
    Quote Originally Posted by explorer_of_the_mind View Post
    Basically, my point of view on being ascetic is the ability to separate wants from needs, and to value needs over wants. ...What I am really driving at is this: how do I overcome desires for wants and how do I learn to focus primarily on needs?
    Perhaps this will give you an idea to consider...this wisdom is from the Mahābhārata, ādi parva (or 1st section) and it says the following:

tapo na kalko'dhyāyanṁ na kalkaḥ
    svābhāviko vedavidhir na kalkaḥ
    prasahya vittāharaṇaṁ na kalka-
    stānyeva bhāvopadhatāni kalkaḥ

What does this say? Here is my translation. Any errors can only be attributed to me. (Please see the footnotes for a more complete definition of key words in this śloka)
    • tapas (spiritual practices, observances, purifying methods) is not sinful , or without harm (kalkaḥ) ; dhyāya (meditation, reflection, looking within, some also call this study) is also without (na) harm or sin (kalkaḥ) ;
    • the prescribed ordinances (vidhi) of the veda's given to one's own tribe or people (svā-bhā) is not harmful (na kalkaḥ) ;
    • the attainment (haraṇa) of wealth, possessions, property (vittā) by one's own strength/means (prasahya ) is not sinful (na kalkaḥ);
    • yet when they are continually abused in practice, then they become (bhāva) the condition (upadhi) to inflict pain (tan) ~or~ impurity/sin (kalkaḥ)
    Another valid and respected translation by Kisari Mohan Ganguli
    tapa is innocent, study is harmless,
    the ordinance of the veda-s prescribed for all the tribes are harmless,
    the acquisition of wealth by exertion is harmless,
    But when they are abused in their practices it is then that they become sources of evil.

It says there is no decit or sin with any practice, attainment, or acquistion when properly done i.e.balanced, without excessive yearning and angst. Yet when these means are abused ( done with hoarding, deceit, impurity, negitivity) then one reaps the sin of this approach and they become source of grief.

Perhaps this can be considered as you sort out desires of need vs. want

praṇām
    words
    • tapas sometimes written as tápas- is warmth, heating up; it is associated with purifcation of the individual via religious practices, meditiative techniques and the like.
    • na = not or no
    • kalka is dirt, filth, impurity , meanness , falsehood , hypocrisy , deceit , sin , sinful
    • svā - one's own ; a man of one's own people or tribe , a kinsman; svāḥ - one's own relations, one's own people
    • bhā - brightness, appearence, to be, to exist
    • vidhi - ordinances, a rule , formula , injunction , ordinance , statute , precept , law , direction especially for the performance of a rite as given in the brāhmaṇa portion of the veda , consisting of two parts
      • vidhi - direction and commands
      • explanatory statement
    • pra-sahya
      • pra - fulfilling
      • sahya - able to bear, agreeable; powerful, strong
    • vittā - wealth , property , goods , substance , money , power acquired , gained , obtained , possessed
    • haraṇa - taking , holding; as a noun . the act of carrying or bringing or fetching
    • stanyeva - 'stan' is rooted in tan - to resound , roar
      • yava from yu - warding off, averting
    • bhāvo = bhāva - becoming, occuring
    • opadha =upada = upadhi - condition, attribute
    • tāni - tan is to afflict with pain (4th derivitive) tánā - one after another , continually
    Last edited by yajvan; 10 February 2010 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling error of kalka
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information