Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Defending Hindu Dharma against the Onslaught of Adharmic Religions

Re: Defending Hindu Dharma against the Onslaught of Adharmic Religions

Vannakkam: I didn't really know where to put this. Seems the Indian government does do something sometimes.

http://www.hindu.com/2011/06/14/stor...1454100400.htm

Aum Namasivaya

I saw that story too...It is a one off event. Our politicians are clueless about the design of Abrahamics. The Pope came to New Delhi and had the gumption to say that the cross has to be planted in India in the new century. The only thing that unites communists, politicians, Christians, Muslims and elite newsroom anchors in India is their hatred of anything and everything related to Sanatana Dharma

Pretty depressing, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by wundermonk View Post
    I saw that story too...It is a one off event. Our politicians are clueless about the design of Abrahamics. The Pope came to New Delhi and had the gumption to say that the cross has to be planted in India in the new century. The only thing that unites communists, politicians, Christians, Muslims and elite newsroom anchors in India is their hatred of anything and everything related to Sanatana Dharma

Pretty depressing, if you ask me.
    Vannakkam wunder: Yes, I kind of figured that ... We remain clueless over here on this side of the planet about India ... (Not to say the reverse isn't true some days) still, twas better than nuthin' at all.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: I didn't really know where to put this. Seems the Indian government does do something sometimes.

http://www.hindu.com/2011/06/14/stor...1454100400.htm

Aum Namasivaya
    Heh, emphasis on "sometimes."

Seriously though, what I think is noteworthy is that the villagers stood up and acted. They detained the missionaries for making conversion attempts. At the end of the day, government can only do so much. Government is good at protecting its citizens from foreign attacks and stopping people from killing each other. But for something like missionary activity, the solution can only come from active participation by individuals. I'm hoping that more Indians will become educated about the dangers of Christianity, and choose to stop missionaries from converting people. This is the only long-lasting solution.

Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    Seriously though, what I think is noteworthy is that the villagers stood up and acted. They detained the missionaries for making conversion attempts. At the end of the day, government can only do so much. Government is good at protecting its citizens from foreign attacks and stopping people from killing each other. But for something like missionary activity, the solution can only come from active participation by individuals. I'm hoping that more Indians will become educated about the dangers of Christianity, and choose to stop missionaries from converting people. This is the only long-lasting solution.
    I agree wholeheartedly. In fact, the libertarian in me is adamant that the government should just stay out of the business of endorsement/condemnation of any religion. Just take a non-stance, if it can. Let individual people figure things out for themselves. That is also true secularism.

The situation in India is one of pseudo-secularism - minority appeasement, actually. A famous case was the banning of the Satanic Verses. Our so-called secular government at that time bowed down to Muslim pressure and banned the book even before Iran or Saudi Arabia did. A Muslim University professor/dean actually said that that didnt make sense. He said, the book should be available in India and Indians ought to have the freedom to read the book if they so choose. His own Muslim students thrashed him the next day and sent him to the Intensive Care Unit. The student leader after dispensing his own version of Shariah justice to the Professor said something to the effect that - "India is secular. So, no religion should be made fun of". Voltaire would have turned in his grave!

The right to make fun of religion, in particular, and any ideology/philosophy in general, is precisely what is safeguarded under free speech and secularism. But in India the concept gets completely twisted.

But yes, if there is any hope, here is where I see it - education. Let our government, civil society and individuals help the poor masses in villages suffering from grinding poverty. Let us help these poor folks get educated. It is my personal opinion that as one gets educated, one cannot but turn away from my-way-or-the-highway-to-hell type of Abrahamic religions.

Have confidence in Hinduism. It is not a religion (founded by one - limited to time, space and society). It is a culmination of thousands of years of research on the subject. It is the eternal TRUTH from where the others derive their knowledge. It is most complete reservoir of the Eternal Truth.

As the mankind progresses more and more in science the only religion (if we call Hinduism as religion) who can be the guide still into the far future is Hinduism.

Already Islam and Christianity have fallen apart in keeping up with the progress of mankind and science. This is because those religions are limited by time space and society and had very little knowledge.

So the thrist for more knowledge of the science, creation, life and thus God will only push the mankind towards Hinduism.

This can be as the present day trends - Christianity converts the underdeveloped and mostly illiterate zones. Whereas Hinduism influences learned people.

Over more than 15000 years nothing happened to Hinduism even during the weakest period, it will never happen when India is growing in strength.

Love and best wishes

What has Saunta Clause to do with the TriveNI Sangamam?

Devotees, in Santa Claus costumes, pray at Sangam in Allahabad on Saturday.
    http://www.deccanherald.com/photo.php?id=85

Who are these 'devotees' and what has Saunta Clause to do with the TriveNI Sangamam?

If these devotees are normal Indian Christians, it means that they are not secure about their own religious rituals. If they are evangelical Christians, it is to be objected, and perhaps amounts to desecration of a sacred Hindu place.

What do you think of such inculturation? I have reported this to HJS at:
    http://www.hindujagruti.org/about-us/contact.php
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Namaste,
    Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    What do you think of such inculturation?
    Thanks for sharing it with us. This is hilarious and sad at the same time.

The visual is hilarious, but the underlying act of trying to desecrate a holy Hindu site and claiming it for Xitians too, is sad, as is the sand sculpture on the beach in Puri. It definitely is a back handed soft approach to taking Xitianity to the heart of Hindu sacred places without seeming to create any controversy (thereby inviting law enforcement). I would say it is very cleaver, something that most people would 'just laugh it off', but the message to Hindus is clear - we are here, and we intend to keep converting, even in your own backyard.

Pranam.
    -

Namaste,

My initial reaction to the santa picture was bemusement, but there certainly is a disturbing undercurrent to it- one must ask, what is the intended message of this? Is it as Believer has posited, a subtle psychological attack by Christians? I for one would not put it past them- they see nothing wrong or hypocritical in lying ("we're just tourists") to prevent interference of their evangelizing.

I would like to think it was the other way around, that a pair of impish-minded Hindus were misguidedly trying to send a message of "Hey Christians, this is what your beloved Saint Nicholas would be doing, were he a truly holy man in the truly Holy Land!" This is probably not the case, but I can almost guarantee there will be some Christians who will take offense at the picture because they will percieve in it something along those lines.

These could also very well be Muslims or atheists, neither of whom have any pressing reason to respect either Hindu or Christian sensitivities.

"Stirring up the pot" can originate from malice, ignorance, immaturity, or some combination thereof; but there are never beneficial results from such activity. The wise among us find far better methods for calling public attention to a given issue, than indulging in the sort of activities shown by these two pictured.

Sadly, the media-obsessed culture that surrounds the globe rewards provocativeness for nothing more than its own sake; "meaningfulness is meaningless"; if one has nothing to say, than shout as loudly and stylishly as possible, and the ecstatic and momentary praise of fools is sure to come.

No matter the true story behind the santa picture, there is a flavor of emptiness, of sauciness masking an unfocused desperation, to me.

May Most-Beloved Maa Durga grant Her children strength in that desire for Truth, which draws us ever nearer to Her; may She help us to remember that the Lion is Hers to ride, the we need not ever be servants of our appetites, that Her love knows no fear, Her succor knows no limit and no failure.

JAI MATA DI
    || जय माता की ||

I just noticed this thread and got done with reading with most of the posts here. This thread is several years old and has lot of interesting posts from many. I had started a similar thread

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=8777

But the focus there is to come up with implementable ideas to strengthen Hindu Dharma. I request members to post their ideas there so that we can discuss and use our resources to generate activities that will strengthen our Hindu Dharma

Thank you!

Thread Information