Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Defending Hindu Dharma against the Onslaught of Adharmic Religions

Re: Defending Hindu Dharma against the Onslaught of Adharmic Religions

Namaste,

This is a two-edged sword, so to say.

"Pride" essentially is dualistic, I think, in that it implies superiority or separateness.

On the other hand, sanatana dharma (and sanskrit) is the most concise yet comprehensive expression of Holy in my opinion and deserves its props.

But Holy is not limited by our expression, regardless of tradition, it simply is.

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Namaste All,

I agree with points other members have made here regarding pride. From a worldly point of view, I would say that pride in one's religion, culture, ethnicity, etc. is definitely important. I would prefer for a person to be proud of who s/he is, rather than to be ashamed of her/himself. But, pride does not and should not mean excessive pride to the point where one becomes intolerant or takes on a "holier than thou" attitude.

OM Shanti,
    A.

namaste everyone,

In terms of my comment about pride, it was not my intent to suggest that hindus should become egotistical. My comment is for most hindus who are sleeping right now and our youth is ashamed of being a hindu.

It's like commenting to someone who is starving and requesting them to take food. Yes, there is a problem with over eating but at this point, we are only concerned with the starvation. Over eating causes all kinds of dis-ease is in the back our minds...isn't it?

Nor is there a fear in my mind of missionary nonsense. Missionaries are doing what they are supposed to be doing i.e. according to them it is their duty to shove their religion down other people's throat. As one missionary put it to me very elegantly, "we don't care if you are hindu or whatever, we don't care if it is india or africa or any other place, all we care about the instruction given to us by our Lord to save the heathens." So as you can see, it is their duty to do what they are doing.

What is our duty that is my question.
    satay

Been to visaz quite a few of times now, I see more and more new churches there each time. Evangelism is in full swing in AP with a christian chief minister.

A few months back, I was enjoying the bliss & beauty of the sea in the city beach ... then I saw a group of evangelicals started distributing pamplets about jesus among the public who were trying to have a good time in their own way.

Suddenly all the peace was gone from my mind. I was again in deep sorrow on what to do with religions whose main intent was to spread disruption among others and destroy their way of living. Dharma is peace. What was happening was disruption of peace. What could be more asuric?

I left the place before they came to me. I only pray that someday I can do more than just refuse a pamplet. Justice wasn't served that day

namaste,
    the next time someone tries to shovetheir religion on you, we can politely reply by saying, 'sorry, not shopping for a new religion. thanks'

the bigger question here is what is our duty, how to defend hindu dharma agains the onslaught of adharmic religions as the OP asks. If everything and everyone is the same why follow dharma at all? why not let's all become muslims or christians or something else?

The problem is most of us do what what SM did i.e. leave the situation instead of confronting it. If everyone reacts the same way who is defending the meek and the poorest of the poor?
    satay

Hari Om
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste yajvan!
    I see what you are saying, however, respectully, I disagree with some of it.

If difference in all relgions is of no consequence then why are we following sanatana dharma and not islam or any other religion? Why not accept jesus as our only saviour and be done with it? Why not accept the will of 'alah' instead of the inert brahman?

If hindus are not allowed to be proud of who they are, then there is a problem don't you agree? Why can a christian be proud of being a christian and even be so bold to try to shove his religion down the throat of others yet hindus can not be even proud of adhering to the eternal law? why a muslim is proud of being a muslim and a hindu can't even stand up for dharmic way of life? with respect...
    Namaste satay,
    Your respsonse is appreciated and spoken well. My point is not of consequence, but one of compassion. THat is, if one cares to look at the Supreme differently, then we respect that view...

Pride is fine, too much pride fuels the ego (was my point) - that makes one think one may be better then another, and I do not subscribe to this.
    If one has pride as a Hindu, this is fine and I have no angst over it.

What makes sanatana dharma great is (our) graciousness. We are grounded in the Truth, That all this is Brahman. If one chooses one limb of this Fullness to worship, this is fine. If one sees their master as Jesus, Buddha, Narasimha, Krsna, that is fine. Sanatana Dharma is the blossoming of Bhuma. This is why my teacher has always said, we are born to bless , this we must never forget.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and ideas in a meaningful way.

pranams.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    the bigger question here is what is our duty, how to defend hindu dharma agains the onslaught of adharmic religions as the OP asks. If everything and everyone is the same why follow dharma at all? why not let's all become muslims or christians or something else?
    Namaste Satay,

I suppose the bigger question at hand here is: does Hindu Dharma teach that everything and every path is the same? Hindu Dharma definitely teaches us to be respectful to all, and to be tolerant of all, there's no doubt about that. But, does Hinduism really say every religion and path is one and the same? By "same" I am not referring to the ultimate goal, I am here referring to the journey. I think the discussion should focus on this particular question.

A.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    But, does Hinduism really say every religion and path is one and the same?
    As we think about this above question, I thought we could examine this quote from Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa (1836-1886):

"God can be realized through all paths. All religions are true. The important thing is to reach the roof. You can reach it by stone stairs or by wooden stairs or by bamboo steps or by a rope. You can also climb up by a bamboo pole."

Does he mean to say that all religions are one and the same? If so, why follow one over another? And do modern day Hindus get the idea of "all religions are one and the same" from Sri Ramakrishna?

A.
    Last edited by Agnideva; 06 February 2007 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Agnideva View Post
    As we think about this above question, I thought we could examine this quote from Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa (1836-1886):

"God can be realized through all paths. All religions are true. The important thing is to reach the roof. You can reach it by stone stairs or by wooden stairs or by bamboo steps or by a rope. You can also climb up by a bamboo pole."

Does he mean to say that all religions are one and the same? If so, why follow one over another? And do modern day Hindus get the idea of "all religions are one and the same" from Sri Ramakrishna?

A.
    (My emphasis added)

In my opinion, Holy *is*. Religions seek to give a symbolic structure so as to preserve knowledge/experience, but to mistake the symbolic structure for Holy sort of defeats the purpose

Dharma is not restricted by symbolism, although its expression is deep in images ...

I guess what I'm trying to say is that traditions preserve expression, but the origin if you will of that expression is not restricted by tradition, it is more, um, encompassing, more universal than any particular.

JMO, as I am not Hindu nor any particular proclivity ... it is the sameness not the difference which intrigues me.

Namaste,
    ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Namaste Yajvan.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan
    What makes sanatana dharma great is (our) graciousness. We are grounded in the Truth, That all this is Brahman. If one chooses one limb of this Fullness to worship, this is fine. If one sees their master as Jesus, Buddha, Narasimha, Krsna, that is fine. Sanatana Dharma is the blossoming of Bhuma. This is why my teacher has always said, we are born to bless , this we must never forget.
    The uniqueness of Sanatana Dharma is that right from the most illiterate who is gullible and believes in blind supererstitions and sentiments to the Self-realized sage knows and says that God is One, call Him/It by any name. The difference lies only in the degree of realization.

The conflict arises when the God of one path is projected as superior to others. We have conflicts among our own Hindu sects and debate if Shiva or Vishnu or Krishna is superior, but the none of the sects attempts to force its concepts on the others or convert others to its path. This is true of all Indian religions. Whereas the Western religions are exclusive, aggressive, belligerent and even violent, and attempt to bring the whole world under their own religions umbrella that denies individual freedom for seeking God. This is what we should fight against.

It is strange, and smacks of hypocrisy that the Western faiths that believe in democracy as the most refined form of governance try to be autocratic and despotic when it comes to religion. And their followers blindly submit to religious authority, unlike us Hindus.

Thread Information