Thread: Dwaraka

Dwaraka

namaste,

If you didn't know this already, Hinduism Today did an article on it. Dr. Rao's hardwork paid off...

http://www.arianuova.org/arianuova.i...2-Dwaraka.html
    satay

Re: Dwaraka

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~~

namasté

dvāraka, for those interested, as a noun means door or gate. It also means 'many gated.'

Could there be more to this name then meets the eye? dvāra is also a way or means, an opening, an aperture.
    The māheśvara-s ( those devoted to śiva) suggest there are 6 dvāra-s or means, doors, gates, etc. one can take to obtain union, bliss, ecstasy with the divine. One that seems obvious to me is the door of the guru who guides you correctly. Perhaps others wish to list out the 6 they know.

It seems appropriate to me that kṛṣṇa would have this as a suitable name for His city... Being Divine, the jagad-guru¹, Bliss incarnate - as the way, the door to this fullness of life.

praṇām

words
    jagad=jagat - usually means universal, yet this word is defined as 'heaven and below'
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

first heard about dr. rao and his discoveries in discovery channel few years back . its amazing and made me speechless with wonder . coming face to face with shastra..you can say !!

jai dwarakadhish ..

Here is a 9 min. video segment showing the discoveries of Dr. Rao...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...rch&plindex=1#

Curiously, the Bhagavat's account shows a slightly different take on the construction of the city than the Mahabharat. Since Krishna wanted to transfer the citizens of Mathura out of harm's way from the forces of Jarasandha and Kalayavana, He built the fort underwater. (Mahabharat has Arjuna witnessing Dwaraka submerged).

The sanskrit words used in this connection are antaḥ-samudre nagaraḿ, meaning "city within the sea". (SB 10.50.49). Swami Tapasyananda translates this and the next verse as follows..

49. The way out is this: We should build a fortress that is impregnable and shelter our people there. And we must have the Yavana destroyed by someone else. 50. Resolving thus, the Lord made a wonderfully attractive city in the middle of twelve yoganas of fortified area in the sea.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1976 View Post
    Here is a 9 min. video segment showing the discoveries of Dr. Rao...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...rch&plindex=1#

Curiously, the Bhagavat's account shows a slightly different take on the construction of the city than the Mahabharat. Since Krishna wanted to transfer the citizens of Mathura out of harm's way from the forces of Jarasandha and Kalayavana, He built the fort underwater. (Mahabharat has Arjuna witnessing Dwaraka submerged).

The sanskrit words used in this connection are antaḥ-samudre nagaraḿ, meaning "city within the sea". (SB 10.50.49). Swami Tapasyananda translates this and the next verse as follows..

49. The way out is this: We should build a fortress that is impregnable and shelter our people there. And we must have the Yavana destroyed by someone else. 50. Resolving thus, the Lord made a wonderfully attractive city in the middle of twelve yoganas of fortified area in the sea.
    Thanks for sharing, Rasa.
    May I please ask which of the two versions you mentioned is more likely or true to form?

And may I ask if you have an opinion on the claims of finding the underwater ruins? I saw a video where it looked like there were ruins in the bay near the current modern city.

Thread Information