Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would I need?

What would I need?

What would I need to start a Hindu Group so we can gather together and learn as well have someone to hang with in common interest.

Re: What would I need?

Cooking class accompanied by Kirtan of Hari nam and then a large screen "presentation" of, a Guru's discourse; or a video documentary; or some variety of scheduled-featured showing of some appropriately related entertainment ---the "presentation" will be the substitute for a Swami's recitation and commentary.

A theatre-like reading can be done, or reading from the Gita by different guests might prove attractive to your new group attendees.

Depends what you want to do. You could set up an altar, offer an arati and sing bhajans, or you could just sit around and talk about the Bhagavad-Gita or Hindu philosophy. It's really up to you. If you are able to, take a trip to the nearest Hindu temple to really experience Hinduism. Distributing prasad (food items offered to God) as well as providing a free vegetarian meal afterwards will attract a quite a number of people.

You have been given great suggestions so far. If your main goal is to "gather together and learn", then you can have some of the scriptures such as the Vedas of the Bhagavad Gita and you can study them together. You can also pray together by singing kirtan or reciting mantras or just saying prayers out loud together. Silent prayer together is great as well.

Good luck with this. I wish you all the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    What would I need to start a Hindu Group so we can gather together and learn as well have someone to hang with in common interest.
    Namasté Tirisilex
    Just curious, were you lucky enough to make any progress with the idea of a study group?

If so, any lessons to share? Perhaps other forum members too can share some insight if they have done something similar?

Thanks.

I've just been reading a lot so I'm more knowledgeable.. I do plan on doing a group at some time.. I just feel like I'm not ready for it yet..

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    I've just been reading a lot so I'm more knowledgeable.. I do plan on doing a group at some time.. I just feel like I'm not ready for it yet..
    That would be my personal concern The answer I see, is to approach one's own group as a student oneself, and not the professor (not suggesting that you would, but in order to keep it humble and realistic imho). This is what makes it a "Study group" rather than a temple or class; it is for those who want to engage in mutual learning (aware of the risks too).

I also wonder to how much interest would be expressed, and maintained in our local communities. Do you have an impression?

None the less, I feel the benefits out weigh the work it would take.
    Last edited by Onkara; 27 April 2011 at 05:59 AM.

Vannakkam: I think it is far easier to find an existing group than to form one. But that's just my opinion.

Two things you do need are guts and will: to pick up the phone and to keep on going with determination when things falter.

I'll tell the story of a meeting here that ended up in a temple.

Someone was in Hawaii with Subramuniyaswami and heard that there were a few Sri Lankan Tamils moving to Canada (about 1974). Because Subramuniyaswami's Guru was Yogaswami from Sri Lanka, instructions were given to make contact.

With a fairly vague instruction like that, the question remained "How?" when you know absolutely no one in the Indian community.

An old acquaintance, however had married an Indian Muslim, so that was the first phone call. This chap referred the question to the then president and priest of the existing North Indian temple in town.

Then the priest there referred it to the president of the Tamil Association of Alberta. At that time this association was almost entirely Indian Tamil, as university professors and other professionals had migrated as early as the 1962.

That individual agreed to come over to the western devotee's place for coffee.

From that, a meeting of four Sri Lankans and four western devotees was set up.

Coincidentally (or not) at about the same time, a small Ganesh murthi was sent from Hawaii as a gift. A small rented room was found to 'meet' and have puja. As the crowds increased, one day someone stood up and said, "We need a temple!" with enough conviction to convince a few good people. 25 years later a temple was consecrated.

So yes, persistence, guts, time.

Aum Namasivaya

What about the presence of a person versed in the Vedas or the specific sect? I think it's important so the person act as an instructor, to give lectures in the meetings for example.

Vannakkam Pietro: A group I met once was homogeneous. It was simple called "The Gita reading group". All they did was take turns reading verses of the Gita, with occasional commentary or discussion. There was no sense of leadership, just a circle of friends. I've also seen this basic outline of a group for Ramayana readings at a temple. So there is no need for any hierarchy, in my opinion.

In my opinion, unless there is a very clear indication of who the teacher is, it can lead to misunderstandings and ego battles.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information