Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Third Eye?

Question The Third Eye?

So, I've just recently gotten back into meditating again after a several year hiatus. I was really impatient when I first got into it and wanted results immediately, got fed up and fell out of practice for a while.

After a couple days of getting back into the practice, I decided to fast for a day and meditate as many times as I could (I have back problems from years of skateboarding and hockey so it can be hard to sit like that for more than 30 minutes sometimes). I had 4 different sessions throughout the day, and then during the last one as I was really getting into it, I was trying to envision my energy flowing through my chakras as I breathed, and, with my eyes closed, suddenly what would have been between my eyes in my field of vision began glowing a whitish yellow color and began to pulsate?

I've experienced the calming sensation of meditation before but I've never experienced something so blatant like that that I could not ignore. Has anyone had a similar experience? And if so what were your thoughts on it?

It was a fairly profound experience, though I'm not entirely 100% sure what exactly it was. I've tried to communicate it to other people in my life, but I only have several friends that practice meditation, so I didn't really have anyone to connect on the experience with.

Re: The Third Eye?

Vannakkam Einherjar: Flashes of light, moonglow, whenever within a darkened room, and not as the residual effect of staring at something, yes. This is the start. Maintenance until it becomes a clear white bright light that you can go to at will with your will... Yes this is what the mystics and stages tell us. its called en lightenment after all.Aum Namasivaya

Are there any specific ways in which one would meditate to come closer to this?

I've obviously already noticed the effects of fasting during the activity. I currently use a mantra and sit with my legs crossed and spine straight (my joints are a little too messed up for the lotus position).

I use an interesting pranayama technique that I've yet to read a recommendation from in any hindu literature. I actually learned it from reading many a book on Thelema and other western esoteric practices. It's essentially, 12 syllabic-counts on the inhale, with the exhale slowed to about 24.

I basically just want to bounce what I'm doing off of someone else to see if there's a better way I could go about it, or if there's something I'm missing that I could improve upon.

Einherjar: One of the things that drops fairly quickly with a real transition form western thinking to eastern thinking is the idea of impatience. Eastern thinkers worry about such things far less, seeing the soul as on a path, evolving, and not identifying with the body so much. This is because of a strong intuitive belief in reincarnation. There is no hurry. Western thinkers on the other hand, because of western programming, (mainly Christianity, but also atheism and agnosticism) tend to be more impatient. They see this life as THE life. Therefore, they figure they have to get it all accomplished now. Unless you have had many previous lives of meditation and mixing with divinity, it probably isn't going to happen overnight. It will go even slower when undue stress is put upon oneself by oneself. World class athletes learn how to relax, even in a 100 m sprint. it's like that.

Aum Namasivaya

I'm aware of this. I've been breaking down many walls in the realm of linear dualistic western thought.

As I've mentioned, I have done much studying of Thelema, the system which is a derivation of western esoteric practices (Masonic rituals, The Golden Dawn, Hermetic Qabalah, etc) and eastern concepts of macrocosmic unity. In The Book of the Law (Liber Al Vel Legis) "by" Aleister Crowley, it is stated "For pure will, unassuaged of purpose, delivered from the lust of result, is every way perfect"

Not that it is an easy undertaking by any means, but I am definitely not in the same state of lusting for results now as I was when I had previously practiced meditation. I enjoy it for what it is, I was merely wondering if you, or anyone else here, had any suggestions that could add to the experiences I've been having.

Vannakkam :

Being a person leaning towards bkakti, and temple worship, my only suggestion would be to go try meditating in a quiet spot within the confines of a temple, where an inner vibration has already been built up by like minded souls. This will most likely yield different or more intense results, but i may vary on the temple, and your own seed karmas. That's all I have as I know absolutely nothing of the authors or the practises you mentioned.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you, I will try that. I'm also thinking that it could be an interesting experience when it gets warmer to spend time in meditation outside of man-made constructs. It remains a little cold at the moment in Colorado for someone of my skill level to attempt that, but once spring comes I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Now the only problem is finding a Hindu temple in my area.

Vannakkam: A google search will find you a Hindu temple there. Meditating out side can be awesome if you find the right place. I'm in Canada and last year we built an outdoor Dakshinamurthi (Siva as the Ultimate Meditator) shrine in the middle of the forest near our temple. It has a clarity all its own as there is less dross there. Although it is cold now, still the place has a pristine vibration. I go once a week to do an aarti and my meditation time varies. I think it is directly to temperature. -30 may be pristine but ... Only Canadians, some Americans, and Siberians get this.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjar View Post
    So, I've just recently gotten back into meditating again after a several year hiatus. I was really impatient when I first got into it and wanted results immediately, got fed up and fell out of practice for a while.

After a couple days of getting back into the practice, I decided to fast for a day and meditate as many times as I could (I have back problems from years of skateboarding and hockey so it can be hard to sit like that for more than 30 minutes sometimes). I had 4 different sessions throughout the day, and then during the last one as I was really getting into it, I was trying to envision my energy flowing through my chakras as I breathed, and, with my eyes closed, suddenly what would have been between my eyes in my field of vision began glowing a whitish yellow color and began to pulsate?

I've experienced the calming sensation of meditation before but I've never experienced something so blatant like that that I could not ignore. Has anyone had a similar experience? And if so what were your thoughts on it?

It was a fairly profound experience, though I'm not entirely 100% sure what exactly it was. I've tried to communicate it to other people in my life, but I only have several friends that practice meditation, so I didn't really have anyone to connect on the experience with.

Namaste Einherjar,

As EM has mentioned, experience of flashes of light or being washed with light may be the beginning but it still carries the notion "I am seeing light". It is calming or for some such experience may not be calming. And such experience is surely not continuos, whereas we know that Brahman is unchangeable bliss. Eventually the seer and the seen both have to be seen.

I have studied, but do not remember where, that meditation in closed space is surpassed many times over by meditation at river bank or at mountain. Possibly, it faciltates to realise the infinite in the point of consciousness.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Yes, ego dissolution can be a tricky matter.

I've been considering adding the use of incense to my meditation ritual. Would this be helpful or ultimately pointless since the acknowledgment of it involves the use of individual biological senses?

Thread Information