Thread: questions about jainism....

questions about jainism....

I'm looking for a good site to learn the real deal about jainism in "layman" terms. I have frequently gotten it as my top religion, often at 100%, when I have done that Selectsmart quiz. Yet I ended up assuming the one or two little (as in very tiny) bits of knowledge I had on it meant the Selectsmart test got me wrong.

Out of curiosity, I googled it. It is a lot more in synch with my values and beliefs and I have to confess I was judging it as not my cup of tea before I even knew anything about it.

I'd like to get a good website/forum/listserv where I can ask questions as they arise. Are there any Jains hanging out at these forums?

I'm so new to this religion, I'm not even sure how its pronounced. Is it Jain as in Jane or Jan? Or something else entirely?

One of my questions is if the "gods" worshiped by Jains are actually more like Kwan Yin, Buddha and Tara ... the Bodhisattvas of Buddhism. If so, that's pretty interesting. I always thought the Eightfold Path simplified things so much, but since yesterday I am basing my choices on non-violence only and... voila... I have not been unsure about which choice to make yet.

Turns out there is a Jain community about half an hour away from me, but since I don't drive the distance feels much greater. Still I would like to be in touch with them so I'm wondering what kind of etiquette would be specific to the Jain community.

Does anyone know of a good book on the idea of those Idiot's Guides to "such-and-such" or "such-and-such" For Dummies?

Lovin'u!
    heartfull <3

Re: questions about jainism....

On a documentary I saw it is pronounced 'Jay-in.' I suggest reading Saman Suttam, the most recent book that all Jain sects agree on. It is not that long or difficult.

Jains (Pronounced Jayns) are kind of a sever group You have the Laymen and you have the order of Monks and Nuns.. Only Monks and Nuns are able to enter enlightenment and a laymen cannot.. What a Laymen can do is prepare themselves so their next life will be favorable enough to let them be reborn as a Monk or a Nun.. There are 2 orders of monks and Nuns.. One order isn't allowed ANY kind of possessions at all this includes clothes. You must travel naked.. If you need to get a haircut you must rip it out of your head because you are not aloud to have any possessions. The second order isn't as extreme.. Both practice Ahimsa right down to the compassion to a plant.. You cant eat vegetables or fruit if it involves the killing of a plant.. So no Potatoes or onions or Carrots. The second order can wear clothes and they have VERY LITTLE possessions.. Some carry a special broom to brush away insects so they don't step on them..

I hope this helps as an "introduction" to Jainism

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    On a documentary I saw it is pronounced 'Jay-in.' I suggest reading Saman Suttam, the most recent book that all Jain sects agree on. It is not that long or difficult.
    Namaste, thanks. Saman Suttam was recommended to me. Here's a link to the website I'm reading it at (for anyone else who may pop by looking for it).

http://www.jainworld.com/samansuttam...suttam_eng.pdf

Thanks for the recommendation. Are you knowledgeable about this religion?

Love2u,
    <3full

Namaste,
    Some of this I already knew, but I didn't realize how extreme some of the practices are for those who are monks/nuns. It is not like this for laymen/women, but I have been trying to find out more about the "daily life" of Jains and am not having much luck.

Love2u,
    <3full

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    Jains (Pronounced Jayns) are kind of a sever group You have the Laymen and you have the order of Monks and Nuns.. Only Monks and Nuns are able to enter enlightenment and a laymen cannot.. What a Laymen can do is prepare themselves so their next life will be favorable enough to let them be reborn as a Monk or a Nun.. There are 2 orders of monks and Nuns.. One order isn't allowed ANY kind of possessions at all this includes clothes. You must travel naked.. If you need to get a haircut you must rip it out of your head because you are not aloud to have any possessions. The second order isn't as extreme.. Both practice Ahimsa right down to the compassion to a plant.. You cant eat vegetables or fruit if it involves the killing of a plant.. So no Potatoes or onions or Carrots. The second order can wear clothes and they have VERY LITTLE possessions.. Some carry a special broom to brush away insects so they don't step on them..

I hope this helps as an "introduction" to Jainism

I found a good place to discuss Jainism

Try this: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jainlist/

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    I found a good place to discuss Jainism

Try this: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jainlist/
    Bhagwan Buddha and Bhagwan Mahavir existed almost at the same time .
    Preachings of Buddha can be understood a form of sanyas and preachings of Mahavir as tyag , gita says….
    Arjuna Uvaacha:
    Sannyaasasya mahaabaaho tattwamicchaami veditum;
    Tyaagasya cha hrisheekesha prithak keshinishoodana.
    Arjuna said:
    I desire to know severally, O mighty-armed, the essence or truth of renunciation, O
    Hrishikesa, as also of abandonment, O slayer of Kesi!
    Sri Bhagavaan Uvaacha:
    Kaamyaanaam karmanaam nyaasam sannyaasam kavayoviduh;
    Sarvakarmaphalatyaagam praahustyaagam vichakshanaah.
    The Blessed Lord said:
    The sages understand Sannyas to be the renunciation of action with desire; the wise
    declare the abandonment of the fruits of all actions as Tyaga.

Thread Information