Thread: how can one learn or try Classical instruments? (esp. sitars)

how can one learn or try Classical instruments? (esp. sitars)

Om Shanti,

As I have said in earlier arts posts, I have listened to Classical Indian music for several or actually (but not all the time) many years, and I compose music on my computer with sitar samples (and files that are set up to 'echo' or sustain or 'resonate' more like a sitar when used in a tracker program)--even once with quarter tones.

However I do not want to spend the rest of my life only making electronic sitar music. How would I go about finding out if there is a sort of sitar that would be good for me to buy--for a beginner, and maybe used (if I can find one to try in person.) My mom (who performed Western Classical music in college) recommended asking also about how I could learn--preferably from a person, or from a book. I doubt anyone near me plays sitar, and I had a friend in another city who was self-taught and his music sounded nice enough at the time. So, I think I will have to be self-taught. I do not know if that seems proper, but it seems more proper than doing electronic arts all the time. I could instead seek equipment for better electronic visual art, but I would like to do something that seems more meditative. In many cultures music is also considered the highest art (maybe along with theatre) even to the point of being science: learning more music would help me as a mathematician. Sitars make my favourite sound of all instruments. I realize that formal learning is important in some Indian arts, but as a Bohemian and spiritual person I think if there is some art that you think is good for your spiritual development and you can only try it on your own, it will be better to have tried than not... and for easier arts it is probably better to just try on your own. Of course sitar is probably quite difficult and it would be great to find a teacher, but I would rather be able to try it before the next time on the computer, or the next time I feel like saying mantras, rather than much later in life or in a next one.

Re: how can one learn or try Classical instruments? (esp. sitars)

i have learnt sitar for quite some time , although not enough for proffesional playing . most indian instruments reqiure time and patience . dedication is a key word in indian music .

and there is no other way to learn them other than from a competent guru . after you have finished with the basics from a guru you go to the ustads for taalims or higher education .

unfortunately books and other written material cannot impart proper skillfull training of indian instruments .

sitar , as you must be knowing , is one of the most vocal of all indian instruments . when played correctly it can produce most accurate voice intonations ( the technical terms is mir and ghamak ) .

but these must be taught by a guru . online crash courses that one gets over internet barely teach how a few pluckings at the strings .

secondly i must also say that sitar takes a considerable amount of time to master ..say 7 to 10 years !! thats the reason why most students of indian classsical instruments begin young in their life under parental influence . so think twice before you step in .

Re: how can one learn or try Classical instruments? (esp. sitars)

Quote Originally Posted by sambya View Post
    secondly i must also say that sitar takes a considerable amount of time to master ..say 7 to 10 years !! thats the reason why most students of indian classsical instruments begin young in their life under parental influence . so think twice before you step in .
    I have thought about it more than twice--maybe for 10 years, and I made up my mind several years ago.

What sort of quality aspects should I pay attention to when considering a used or new beginner's sitar... and would you suggest getting a 3/4 size one or something if I doubt I will ever play professionally?

Thread Information