Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: How do we counter this argument?

Re: How do we counter this argument?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté harekrishna,

Quote Originally Posted by harekrishna View Post
    MahaHrada Ji :
    Is Shankara saying that the world does not exist? He is saying that the world does not exist the way we see it. And, finally when one does SEE, the realization dawns that what was being seen and understood was not the reality. That was unreal in that sense.
    Most modern theories in physics actually support it. Before HariH Om! Hare Krishna
    I think you have done a fine job stating the position of 'illusion'. Many see this as a very popular position to consider the world as 'not real' . I am not a fan of these words as they do not suggest the full breath of the subject.

As I see it , study it, and have been taught ...
    We have this part of a world of diversity in our vision every day - what is missing in our vision is the wholeness of Being, fullness ( bhūman) of brahman. When this is missing, we are considered ( by the wise) living in avidyā - ignorance. The ignorance of not knowing or seeing the total picture of the world and its structure. When one uses the word illusion for this , it is NOT suggesting the world and its view is unreal it is saying you are deluded by what you see, as if the only thing to see is diversity of creation. You are missing the wholeness ( pūrṇa or fullness) of creation as a total unitary environment. This is māyā called out in advaita vedānta.

That said, this truth, vision, of fullness is not a mental constuct or idea, concept or notion - it comes with the dawn of and being established in the SELF, which is none other then IT, brahman.

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Admin Note

namaskar,

I kindly request all NON-ADVAITINS to stop posting on this thread. Sai is asking for support on how to counter the argument not the other way around.

Thanks,
    satay

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté atanu

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Namaste Saidevoji,
    This intellectual debate has no end. Though there are numerous mention of snare/illusion in Upanishads, they will never be accepted intellectually, untill the need for salvation becomes intense.
    You have once again brought the practical side of the conversation into view...(thank you).
    Many argue (jalpa) various points (a.k.a. the professor); they miss the focus of advaita vedānta - the experience of brahman all the time ( 7x24x365) and the appreciation of this experience via the knowledge offered in vedānta.

Net-net, advaita vedānta encompasses brahma-vāda , the discourse, understanding and experience of brahman i.e. direct personal experience of silence, of the Being within ( atman, Self, brahman).

praām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté atanu

You have once again brought the practical side of the conversation into view...(thank you).
    Many argue (jalpa) various points (a.k.a. the professor); they miss the focus of advaita vedānta - the experience of brahman all the time ( 7x24x365) and the appreciation of this experience via the knowledge offered in vedānta.

Net-net, advaita vedānta encompasses brahma-vāda , the discourse, understanding and experience of brahman i.e. direct personal experience of silence, of the Being within ( atman, Self, brahman).

praām
    namaste yajvanji,

Thank you for noting the practical intent.

It is my understanding that Vedas provide pickle for all - bheda and abheda vakyas and various shades in between. Shankara's teaching may appear very impractical when the objective of the teaching: the Salvation from cycle of death and birth, is not held in firm view. Upanishads teach that Self/Brahman must be known, if the goal is freedom from snare of repeated Death and Birth. Then automatically one will discriminate what the following and other similar passages convey:

Katha U.
    1-III-15. By knowing that which is soundless, touchless, formless, undecaying, so also tasteless, eternal, odourless, beginningless, endless, subtler than Mahat and constant, man is liberated from the jaws of death.

Regards

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 23 February 2010 at 01:11 PM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

namaste Devotee, Atanu, Yajvan, Brahman, Harekrishna, Satay, and other Advaitins,

In Tamilnadu, a popular festive event that is often held and telecast is what is called the 'PaTTi manRam'. It is a debate about a topic between two sides with a judge to ascertain which team wins the debate. All sorts of topics are taken up for debate, but when it becomes literary or spiritual, it would be interesting, with such topics as "Whose bhakti is greater in RAmAyaNa, that of VibhIShaNa or HanumAn?". Highly accomplished scholars (usually Tamil pandits) debate taking sides irrespective of their personal affiliations to prove a point. The name 'PaTTi' is supposed to have originated from the name PaTTi, the chief Minister in King VikramAdiyta's cabinet, who had an arrangement with the king to rule the country for six months when the King spend his time in the forest and vice versa.

Since Prof.Nara and I have already signed off our debate at TBF, I have no intention of opening it up unless we have solid references and arguments that can be understood by common mind. I appreciate that intellectual debates have no end and have no value to a sAdhaka, but let us think for a moment what Shankara himself would have done if he was confronted with people like Prof.Nara. Further, if Shankara's Advaita is an integrated, all-inclusive concept, it means that there should be answers to the issues raised by Prof.Nara. I think therefore we need to debate the issues I have stated in post #14 and find out if there are any ultimate, intellectual answers for them.

Our task is two-folded:

1. to find the shruti/prasthanatraya references not only for the statement 'brahma satyam jagat mithyA' but also for Shankara's three concepts: vivarta vAda, adhyAsa--superimposition, prAtibhAsika satyaM;

2. to find out answers which although spiritual/philosophical, can still be understood by the mind/intellect, say by suitable analogies and counter-arguments, to the issues I have quoted, and any issues raised by followers of Dvaita and VishiShtadvaita sampradAyas, with a spirit of reconciliation, by tracing the hierarchy where all concepts fit, with Advaita being at the peak as the ultimate unity. This would help us to learn our philosophy better.

I think the answers could be in Shankara's commentary on the UpaniShads and the Brahma sUtra, besides other works like PanchAdashi.
    रतà¥à¤¨à¤¾à¤•à¤°à¤§à¥Œà¤¤à¤ªà¤¦à¤¾à¤‚ हिमालयकिरीटिनीमॠ।
    बà¥à¤°à¤¹à¥à¤®à¤°à¤¾à¤œà¤°à¥à¤·à¤¿à¤°à¤°à¤¤à¥à¤¨à¤¾à¤¢à¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤‚ वनà¥à¤¦à¥‡ भारतमातरमॠ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

namaste sai,

Though I requested all non-advaitins (that includes me) to not post here, I will make a post because I am in support of your task.

I believe 100% that sankara would have torn the prof. in pieces (intellectually of course) and the prof. would have happily and with all humility become sri sankara's student.

I fully support your quest to find the intellectual and factual answers to the questions prof has raised. I think you are doing a great service with this and people like me who are awestruck by sankara and his style really appreciate it.

Thanks. I will bow out of this thread and just watch.

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    I appreciate that intellectual debates have no end and have no value to a sAdhaka, but let us think for a moment what Shankara himself would have done if he was confronted with people like Prof.Nara. Further, if Shankara's Advaita is an integrated, all-inclusive concept, it means that there should be answers to the issues raised by Prof.Nara. I think therefore we need to debate the issues I have stated in post #14 and find out if there are any ultimate, intellectual answers for them.
    satay

Three good threads are being discussed here….
    1.Almighty/.Brahma/jeeva satya [ true ] , prakrati/jagat mithya [ false ]
    2.Austerity/tapa VS yoga , which is superior
    3. Krsns opinion

In the childhood , mother shows the child pointing towards the moon , see an old woman is making cloth beneath the banyan tree , this proved wrong as there was no prakriti/jagat at moon but the man/jeeva was true there, similarly as mirage is not true but sun rays are true .

Definition of tapa is as follows..
    Austerity is conducive
    to joy and puts an end to sorrow and evils. By virtue of penance the Creator creats the
    universe. By virtue of penance vishnu protects the whole world. By virtue of penance shambhu
    brings about dissolution. In fact, the entire creation rests on penance.
    Bearing this in mind, go and practise austerity .
    Now Krsn tells about tapa and yoga…

Ye twaksharamanirdeshyamavyaktam paryupaasate;
    Sarvatragamachintyam cha kootasthamachalam dhruvam.
    Those who worship the imperishable, the indefinable, the unmanifested, the omnipresent,
    the unthinkable, the eternal and the immovable,
    Samniyamyendriyagraamam sarvatra samabuddhayah;
    Te praapnuvanti maameva sarvabhootahite rataah.
    Having restrained all the senses, even-minded everywhere, intent on the welfare of all
    beings—verily they also come unto Me.
    Klesho’dhikatarasteshaam avyaktaasaktachetasaam;
    Avyaktaa hi gatirduhkham dehavadbhiravaapyate.
    Greater is their trouble whose minds are set on the Unmanifested; for the goal—the
    Unmanifested—is very difficult for the embodied to reach.
    The embodied—those who identify themselves with their bodies. The
    imperishable Self is very hard to reach for those who are attached to their bodies. Their restless
    minds will not be able to get fixed on the attributeless Self.This is tapa and…..

Ye tu sarvaani karmaani mayi sannyasya matparaah;
    Ananyenaiva yogena maam dhyaayanta upaasate.
    But to those who worship Me, renouncing all actions in Me, regarding Me as the supreme
    goal, meditating on Me with single-minded Yoga
    This is yoga .So what is the realty…..

Shreyaan dravyamayaadyajnaaj jnaanayajnah parantapa;
    Sarvam karmaakhilam paartha jnaane parisamaapyate.
    Superior is wisdom-sacrifice to sacrifice with objects, O Parantapa! All actions in their
    entirety, O Arjuna, culminate in knowledge!

Adhyeshyate cha ya imam dharmyam samvaadamaavayoh;
    Jnaanayajnena tenaaham ishtah syaamiti me matih.
    And he who will study this sacred dialogue of ours, by him I shall have been worshipped
    by the sacrifice of wisdom; such is My conviction [ not opinion ]

Mayyaaveshya mano ye maam nityayuktaa upaasate;
    Shraddhayaa parayopetaaste me yuktatamaa mataah.
    The Blessed Lord said:
    . Those who, fixing their minds on Me, worship Me, ever steadfast and endowed with
    supreme faith, these are the best in Yoga in My opinion.

But let us think for a moment what Shankara himself would have done if he was confronted with people like Prof.Nara. Further, if Shankara's Advaita is an integrated, all-inclusive concept, it means that there should be answers to the issues raised by Prof.Nara. I think therefore we need to debate the issues I have stated in post #14 and find out if there are any ultimate, intellectual answers for them.

Our task is two-folded:

1. to find the shruti/prasthanatraya references not only for the statement 'brahma satyam jagat mithyA' but also for Shankara's three concepts: vivarta vAda, adhyAsa--superimposition, prAtibhAsika satyaM;

2. to find out answers which although spiritual/philosophical, can still be understood by the mind/intellect, say by suitable analogies and counter-arguments, to the issues I have quoted, and any issues raised by followers of Dvaita and VishiShtadvaita sampradAyas, with a spirit of reconciliation, by tracing the hierarchy where all concepts fit, with Advaita being at the peak as the ultimate unity. This would help us to learn our philosophy better.

I think the answers could be in Shankara's commentary on the UpaniShads and the Brahma sUtra, besides other works like PanchAdashi.

Prof.Nara's main issues are(Ref post# 14 and post#3

• 01. The One Reality, satyam, is only a theoretical possibility, as against the changing reality of the world which is readily and for ever perceptible. So we can't dismiss the reality of the world as mithyA--illusion/unreal.

• 02. How did pure jnAna fall into ajnAna? If the teacher is free of ajnAna, and the people is only an illusion, why teach him at all? So many questions, but the answers hardly make sense. (post #20)

• 03. Advaita is completely confusing, but Ramanuja darshan has some consistency.

Is there any consonance in the bheda, abheda, and ghaTaka shruti statements found in Vedas? As against this the everyday everyman's reality of the world is in more consonance to everyone. (post #26)

• 04. Terms such as 'absolute sat, absolute asat, vyAvahArika satyaM, prAtibhAsika satyaM, mithyA' do not make any sense in practical perspective. He asks, "But, even from the religious perspective, what evidence is there from the shruthi or other commonly accepted shashthras for these assertions?" (post #48)

• 05. The only reality in Advaita is the nirguNa brahman, since it is not easily reachable, concepts like the vyAvahArika satyaM are brought in, which have no support in the Vedas or other commonly accepted scriptures. (post #53)

• 06. When Advaita claims to have shruti basis, then there should be scriptural support for the statement that the jagat is mithyA. Is there any? (post #85)

• 07. His main agnostic contention is that there is not a shred of evidence for the existence of Brahman, "So, 'brahman satyam, jagath mityam' is based on completely made up entity called brahman and a self-serving definition of the word 'non-existent'." (post #90)

• 08. At some point of time, we need to grow out of our security blanket and face the reality. Just as Science constantly revalidates its knowledge, the recorded knowledge of the Rishis too must be scrutinized and revalidated, and this would not mean any disrespect to them, just as the scientific world still respects Newton, Darwin, and Einstein although their theories have undergone changes. (post #95)

"Leaving these differences between a theist like yourself and an atheist like myself aside, please cite evidence from the vedas that you hold as supreme for the notions like:
    jagath is unreal

-- there is a sagnuna brahman who in reality does not exist, and,
    -- only nirguna brahman is reality, and everything else is unreal."

• 09. He says it is difficult to find Vedic pramANa for our key concepts

-- jagath is unreal
    -- there is a sagnuna brahman who in reality does not exist, and,
    -- only nirguna brahman is reality, and everything else is unreal

• 10. Shankara's concepts were not agreed to by RAmAnuja, and Madhva rejected them both. And then there are Jainas and Buddhas who dismiss even the Vedas as pramANa. Christianity and Islam reject rebirth. "With so much contradiction how can anyone claim even a modicum of authenticity to their version in the one revealed by God?"

• 11. "Finally, forbidding intellect from any validation is a very low bar. Anything can be claimed to be verifiable only through personal experience."

• 12. "Leaving that aside for the moment, faith is belief in something for which there is no evidence. But, within the context of the given faith, should there not be some logic, some consistency? If one says Vedas are perfect, inerrant, revealed by God, immutable, etc., etc., then please take on my questions at the top of this post. Irrespective of personal outlook on life, consistency within one's own predefined axiomatic parameters is not a luxury, but basic."

and The main issue is pramana for some central concepts like vyAvahArika and pAramArthika; nirguna and saguna; or jagat is mitya/unreal because it is created. With Ishwara being not just nimitta karana, but upAdhaana karana as well, how can jagath be interpreted to mean mithya/unreal.

Your citations from Vedas do not address any of the above:
    Now, the Vedic pramANa for the concept 'brahma satyam jagat mithyA' are:
    • ekam sat--Reality/Existence is One.--RV i.164.46
    • ekam evadvitiyam brahma -- Brahman is one, without a second.--Chandogya upaniShad VI.ii.1
    • prajnanam brahma -- Consciousness is Brahman.--Aitareya upaniShad 3.3, of Rg Veda
    • sarvaM khalvidaM brahma -- All of this is brahman. -- Chandogya upaniShad 3.14.1 of the Sama Veda
    None of these can mean jagath is mithya/unreal.
    ekam sat--Reality/Existence is One.--RV i.164.46
    "Ekam sat" simply means only one is unchanging, how can this mean jagat is mitya/unreal.
    ekam evadvitiyam brahma
    This is preceded by "agre", at that time, i.e. during pralayam before shrushti begins, there was only one, and no two. This is not to say the jagat created by Ishwara is mitya/unreal.
    prajnanam brahma
    This is not germane in this context.
    sarvaM khalvidaM brahma
    If anything this, statement only says everything is real, not mitya.

Finally, a thread is seeking TRUTH above its usual nature of Sthula, sukshma, and karana...Beautiful.

Now we will have to work on the impossibilities than the possibilities, it takes time.

Thanks a lot: Shri. Saidevo and Shri. Satay.

namaste Devotee, Atanu, Yajvan, Brahman, Harekrishna, Satay, and other Advaitins,

Our task is two-folded:

Namaste Saidevoji and all friends,

You have nicely bulleted the task as twofold. The first answer is there in all Shankara bhashyas -- although we must understand the meaning eventually and not stick with the words -- which we know are changeable through time. The problem with word is unsurmountable and thus it is said that the Truth is beyond the Word and the Mind. For example if I say that mouse is a rodent, a computer nerd may contradict saying "No mouse is an appliance". Both are correct. As Yajvanji says 'purna' is the truth.

At the outset I wish to say that it is not about winning debates. It is about gaining that happiness which we seem to have lost. The goal is to together attain that unbroken happiness. With this background, I will note down a few points.

Shri Nara has indicated that he has doubts that Veda speaks about the eternal truth. He gives credence to scientific enquiry more than the validity of scripture, yet he says VA is more logical. Actually, IMO, Dvaita is most logical for the waking world experience.

On this account, I would request Shri nara to consider a dead body and ask Shri Nara about the lost ability of the dead body to proclaim "I am this dead body". Does he know the life-intelligence that animates all bodies? Does Science know it? At this stage I would leave him to find his own answer rather than saying that it is our belief that scriptures deal with this unknown entity. Of what use is saying "I know this", when the "I" is not known?

Second. Rig Veda itself gives a hint of an illusion that Indra battles and wins:

Rig Veda

10.054.01 (I celebrate), Maghavat, the great glory (you have acquired) by your might; when heaven and earth alarmed called upon you, you did defend the gods, and destroy (their) adversary; (I celebrate your glory), Indra, in that you gave strength to one person (the worshipper).

10.054.02 When you proceed, Indra, increasing in form, and proclaiming your prowess among mankind, false is that your (wandering), false the combats which you have narrated; you (find) now no enemy (to attack), did you formerly find one?

10.054.03 Who among the r.s.is before us have obtained the limit of your entire greatness, since from your own person you have generated at once both mother and father (or earth and heaven)?

But as I pointed out earlier, words will always be interpreted based on one's experience. Science knows this as selective cognition. A different meaning can be ascribed to above verses by another reader. So we come to the third point which corresponds to your second bullet point -- that of finding spiritual philosophical answers that can be understood by mind. This is imporatant since, it is the mind that needs to be tamed with right understanding.

Scriptures teach that to gain unbroken freedom from fear (of death) and pain one must know the Atma-Brahman (that unknown entity which is the subject of Veda-Upanishad).

The implications of this requirement was placed in HDF and elsewhere and I have seen no refutation. At the best, I have seen devotees wriggling away by saying "Our goal is not to know Brahman-Atman".

Although, the following was posted several times, I will re-iterate for the sake of new readers. Also i will re-iterate the goal by citing from another Upanishad:
    Maha Upanishad
    tadbrahmaanandamadvandva.n nirguNa.n satyachidghanam.h . viditvaa svaatmano ruupa.n na bibheti kadaachana .. 70..
    paraatpara.n yanmahato mahaantaM svaruupatejomayashaashvata.n shivam.h .kaviM puraaNaM purushha.n sanaatanaM sarveshvara.n sarvadevairupaasyam.h .. 71..
    IV-70-72. One fears never (and from nothing) on knowing the nature of the self as Bliss unequalled, attributeless and one mass of truth and consciousness. That is beyond all that is beyond, greater than the greatest, lustrous and eternal in nature, wise, ancient Being, Sarvesvara.
    Similarly, as per the teaching of Mandukya Upanishad, one must know the advaita atman, which is defined as:
    Mandukya Upanishad
    The Fourth is thought of as that which is not conscious of the internal world, nor conscious of the external world, nor conscious of both the worlds, nor dense with consciousness, nor simple consciousness, nor unconsciousness, which is unseen, actionless, incomprehensible, uninferable, unthinkable, indescribable, whose proof consists in the identity of the Self (in all states), in which all phenomena come to a cessation, and which is unchanging, auspicious, and non-dual. That is the Self; that is to be known.
    The Upanishad teaches us that the Self that has been described has to be known. How do we know it? The following necessary implications emerge from the given shastra.
    · It is unchanging and it is known as One, all phenomena come to cessation.

- It is the Self -- not another one. Self cannot be another one.
    · It is Advaita. Number of other souls joining it yet remaining separate entities is ruled out. In that case advaita will be broken
    · It is unchanging, so number of other souls joining it as different entities is ruled out. Else, its composition will continuously change.
    · It is actionless. So, thoughts of serving it or actual tasks undertaken to serve it are not possible.
    · It is not conscious of the inner or the outer. So, the consciousness of me and another is impossible. It not unconsciousness either. So, it is aware of itself without inner or outer perceptions.
    · It is the Self which is Brahman. So nothing exceeds it.
    In summary, what exists as knowledge must also exist as gross reality and what exists as gross reality must have its spiritual reality. But all these categories are in Pragnya Ghana in potential form and expressed in Svapna and Jagrat. Advaita Atman, the revealer of homegeneous Pragnya, is however unchangeable eko. It is not possible to know advaita atman by remaining as a second being apart from advaita atman. In that case neither advaita (not two) is upheld, nor can another be atman. It is also not possible to hold the notion "I am doing". Thus Shri Krishna says that the truth is known in samadhi alone.

Advaita thus does not deny the reality of the phenomenal realms of Lord Sarvesvara, Taijjasso and Agnivaisvanaro, neither does it deny existence of potential forms and names in Shushupti in seed form. It however, gives a concrete outlook to fulfil the scripture's call "That is the Self, that is to be known".

-------------------------

With the premise, that it is not about winning a debate but that it is about something much more profound, I would leave professor with only questions. Gradually the Self in him will impel him to acknowledge a few things.

Om Namah Shivaya

PS: IMO, with proofs of Shankara Bhashya alone the task will not be accomplished, since the doubts are on those.
    Last edited by atanu; 24 February 2010 at 12:12 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaste,

According to S N Dasguptra volume 1, sankara teaches that Brhaman is the only reality.
    The 'material' thing including ourselves that we see is not true.

This is how I understood Advaita Vedanta also.

As a GV, let me make some comments on this thread. Some of the questions of the prof. are the same questions we, of the bedha abedha group, are asking. And his questions strike at the heart of Advaita Vedanta and the questions are showing Advaita's fault lines

However, I like to take the prof to task about this. He said • 12. "Leaving that aside for the moment, faith is belief in something for which there is no evidence. But, within the context of the given faith, should there not be some logic, some consistency?

Actually with the discovery of dark matter (which is 90 % of the matter in our universe. The matter that we know of is only 10% of the total matter) and the growing understanding of quantum mechanics, the direction is actually pointing to something beyond this world, the world that we see.

I remember, reading a discussion between an Indian scientist hare Krishna disciple of S.P., T.D. Singh (Bhakti Swarup Damodar Goswami) and Roger Penrose, a world renown mathematician and scientist. They talked about quantum mechanics in its fundamental being deterministic, although the other part of it is probabilistic. And that maybe the non-determinism of quantum particles account for free will ; while the deterministic part of the equation account for why individual particles obey the rules.

Even Penrose thinks there are aspects of reality. That the mental world is different from the physical world and that mathematics which control the physical world belong to what he called the platonic world.

T D Singh notes that the development in science in the last 50 years point to the direction that there is something beyond this world.
    Last edited by Jivattatva; 24 February 2010 at 01:28 AM.

Thread Information