Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is there a God in the first place?

Why is there a God in the first place?

Hi all.

I Still don't understand why there is a God. And more so why did God create?

Do Hindus believe God has a will, as in "God's will"? As Chrstians and Muslims say.

If we are God, then why was maya created , and all that follows like mind, ego and so on, in which we must return back to the Godhead, which we already are or come from?

I hope I make senses

Thanks for any in puts!

P.S. I understand creation as in the Tattva, but its the "why", that I don't understand.
    Life is Yoga.

Re: Why is there a God in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by vedic_kings
    I Still don't understand why there is a God. And more so why did God create?
    Since you say that "Life is Yoga" I assume that you believe in a God?

Do Hindus believe God has a will, as in "God's will"? As Chrstians and Muslims say.
    Obviously, God, whether concieved as the Absolute or the Personal God, must have a will - else it becomes atheism.

If we are God, then why was maya created , and all that follows like mind, ego and so on, in which we must return back to the Godhead, which we already are or come from?
    Very difficult questions, many different answers.

Well, if you could assume that an absolute does exist as the substratum of the world we see, and also assume that this Absolute could become a Personal God by some mysterious cause, the rest will be obvious.

There is really no cause that can be assigned For the existance of a Personal God, the only thing you could say is that it exists and is non different from the Absolute. So the ultimate Godhead can be taken to be either the Impersonal Absolute or the Personal God.(no big difference for all the fighting in that name)

Could a Personal God with infinite potential remain silent? He could not apparently, and his will is the basis of everything. We differ from Christianity in saying that only God's will exists, and no freewill is really there. God's will is experienced through his creation in the form of many "frewwills". The many freewills are illusory, and liberation is obtained on realization this freewill is just the divine will.

A Personal God who created something apart from him, and gave freewill to those external to him, and introduced punishment and rewards for those not abiding by his will, could not be consistant with the ideal God, who is always the embodiment of peace and bliss. All such theories do not even stand even the slightest logical scrutiny.

If a God exists, then he and his will alone exist - nothing else.

Post Re: Why is there a God in the first place?

Namaste,

The answer from Ajativada (the science of immortal existence) would be that mortal existence is entirely due to Avidya.

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga
    Namaste,

The answer from Ajativada (the science of immortal existence) would be that mortal existence is entirely due to Avidya.
    One creates from nothing. If you try to create from something you're just changing something. So in order to create something you first have to be able to create nothing.

Namaste,
    ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by TruthSeeker
    Since you say that "Life is Yoga" I assume that you believe in a God?
    Yes.

Obviously, God, whether concieved as the Absolute or the Personal God, must have a will - else it becomes atheism.
    Interesting.... So God exist because of will?

Very difficult questions, many different answers.

Well, if you could assume that an absolute does exist as the substratum of the world we see, and also assume that this Absolute could become a Personal God by some mysterious cause, the rest will be obvious.
    Im following...

There is really no cause that can be assigned For the existance of a Personal God, the only thing you could say is that it exists and is non different from the Absolute. So the ultimate Godhead can be taken to be either the Impersonal Absolute or the Personal God.(no big difference for all the fighting in that name)
    Ok I can agree on that.

Could a Personal God with infinite potential remain silent? He could not apparently, and his will is the basis of everything. We differ from Christianity in saying that only God's will exists, and no freewill is really there. God's will is experienced through his creation in the form of many "frewwills". The many freewills are illusory, and liberation is obtained on realization this freewill is just the divine will.
    Ok, so Freewill is God's will?

A Personal God who created something apart from him, and gave freewill to those external to him, and introduced punishment and rewards for those not abiding by his will, could not be consistant with the ideal God, who is always the embodiment of peace and bliss. All such theories do not even stand even the slightest logical scrutiny.
    Agreed

If a God exists, then he and his will alone exist - nothing else.
    Ok, then why were we created, is there a real point to create in the first place?

Thanks for your time!
    Life is Yoga.

Namaste,

So ignorance is why everything exist?

So how did ignorance come about?
    Life is Yoga.

Ok, then why were we created, is there a real point to create in the first place?
    There is no answer to this in human language.

The only logically acceptable answer is creation is eternal ~ it has no begining and end and nobody "created it" as we understand. This is the exact buddhist position. In this position your question gets invalid.

Hindu position from monistic angle should be quite close as there is no difference between creator and the creation. Creation-dissolution happens in cycles and there is no begining or end to it. And when creator and creation are same, even begining and end (even if they exist) are no point of concern.

I'm not sure about the dualist Hindu postion, but I think that creation is an infinite cycle is accepted there too and trancendental God is untouched by it.

Point to note is free will in hinduism is only God's will and there is no seperation. So there is no mess in creation in the eternal scale of time. Good times and Bad times come and go as per law of Karma.

Post Re: Why is there a God in the first place?

The answer from Ajativada (i.e. from the perspective of ultimate Truth and perfect Vidya) would be that Avidya is truly without existence, and can never arise.

The answer from Ajativada (i.e. from the perspective of ultimate Truth and perfect Vidya) would be that Avidya is truly without existence, and can never arise.
    What vada it will be if I regard Avidya as unavoidable companion of vidya?
    ======================================================

Whenever Vidya exist in partiality, avidya has to fill up the rest.
    If Vidya exist in totality anywhere who will be the seer?, who will be seen?, how would anything percievable exist?

Avidya is like the shadow accompanying the body. It is not unreal, but counterpart of knowledge which is not complete/full. Together they are full. When everything is full with vidya then vidya looses its meaning as vidya. When everything is full with one thing, it's neither vidya nor avidya.

So I think avidya is as real as vidya and as unreal as the other. But it is knowledge which takes us beyond knowledge. As sentient beings we cannot take the path of ignorance to brahman, but I believe the path is circular.

-------------------------------------------------------

What vada is this?

So ignorance is why everything exist?
    don't think so. rather the opposite.

because the knowledge is not full (here), but that is full.

if knowledge becomes full, does knowledge exit as knowledge any more?? That's my question.....

Existence is real irrespective of ignorance or knowledge. In the domain of knowledge, ignorance must be real too. In this grand scheme of creation knowledge and ignorance are necessary byproducts (like the divine potion and poison that came out during ocean churning).

These are my thoughts though. It seems some schools of hindu philosphy have similar ideas. Need to research more.

Thread Information