Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eggs

Eggs

So, lately I've been trying to decide if I'm comfortable eating eggs still. I figure the regular, industrial farmed eggs that most people buy are produced by hens in less than pleasant conditions and there very well is a chance that those animals are suffering to provide people with said eggs.

But on the other hand, it is possible to buy free range eggs that are produced by hens that are in more or less natural conditions and are not kept in cages. Personally, I'm feeling like if the egg is unfertilized and free range then its acceptable for consumption.

I'm just curious as to what other people here feel about this topic. Trying to see if there's an argument against it that holds validity to me, personally, that I've somehow overlooked? I'm looking forward to any insights you all provide. Thanks.

Re: Eggs

Einjerhar: I personally don't eat eggs for the same reasons as meat. But there are other views. It is himsa.

Aum Namasivaya

Well, EM, I did some reading to try to refute your statement that eating of eggs is himsa. However, I am apparently still somewhat naive. I don't know how I didn't know this, but apparently after about 12 months, egg laying hens stop producing eggs and are promptly slaughtered.

So while I guess the act of eating an unfertilized egg itself is ahimsa, by buying the product and encouraging the practices of poultry farmers and supporting their business of killing the hens it would be himsa.

Short answer... there is another reason:
    The mind is made of food, chandogya upanishad explains this.
    The food is threefold: sattva, rajas, tamas.
    I'm rather sure eggs fall into the rajas category, i.e. it will agitate the mind.
    “There is a Guru in each of us. It is the Atma principle. It is the Eternal Witness functioning as Conscience in everyone. With this Conscience as guide, let all actions be done.” (sss20-15)

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjar View Post
    So, lately I've been trying to decide if I'm comfortable eating eggs still. I figure the regular, industrial farmed eggs that most people buy are produced by hens in less than pleasant conditions and there very well is a chance that those animals are suffering to provide people with said eggs.

But on the other hand, it is possible to buy free range eggs that are produced by hens that are in more or less natural conditions and are not kept in cages. Personally, I'm feeling like if the egg is unfertilized and free range then its acceptable for consumption.

I'm just curious as to what other people here feel about this topic. Trying to see if there's an argument against it that holds validity to me, personally, that I've somehow overlooked? I'm looking forward to any insights you all provide. Thanks.
    Pranam,
    This is just my personal opinion. Being that I am a female and I carry eggs, I don't eat eggs because I wouldn't want anyone eating my unborn children.

But, ask yourself these questions. Why are you considering eating or not eating eggs? Are you or are you not on the path of self-realization? Depending on your answers to these questions follow the guidance of the masters.

Namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwaunis View Post
    Pranam,
    This is just my personal opinion. Being that I am a female and I carry eggs, I don't eat eggs because I wouldn't want anyone eating my unborn children.

But, ask yourself these questions. Why are you considering eating or not eating eggs? Are you or are you not on the path of self-realization? Depending on your answers to these questions follow the guidance of the masters.

Namaste,
    I also doubt they would be very filling... Lol, sorry. I'm a master of bad jokes. Eggs are a natural occurance though. And even if they are unfertilized, a hen will still lay them. It's not an actual life-form until it is fertilized. Eggs are discarded when they are not fertilized. Look at the mamallian female reproductive system. My reason for wondering was I did not know how many people who are vegetarians feel about this subject. I'm new to vegetarianism and I'm trying to figure out my diet because before I was inspired to do this a few weeks ago I never even considered it [vegetarianism] before. Eggs are a convenient (and delicious) source of protein.

My wife and I didn't eat eggs for over a year (I'm not counting the time when I accidentally ate some in fried rice that was supposed to be egg-free). However, we decided to eat them again after I talked to a man at the temple. He was a Gujarati vegetarian, and he said that him and his wife eat eggs in things like biscuits and cakes (I'm assuming they don't eat fried/scrambled/boiled/poached eggs because they're Indian and these are Western dishes).

Believe me, eating eggs makes your life much easier. If you don't eat eggs, you need to get special vegetarian cakes (we had to drive to a suburb 20 mins out of the city to get a vegetarian cake for my wife's birthday). There are many biscuits and chocolate products (like Mars and Snickers bars) that you can't eat if you're lacto-vegetarian.

You're right - eggs are not a life form until they are fertilized, and that never happens in farms where eggs are produced. If you're going to buy eggs, as well as staying away from the "cage eggs", look up the brands of free range eggs on the Internet. In New Zealand, there is no strict legal definition of "free range" and many "free range eggs" come from chickens with clipped beaks.

Thumbs Up Re: Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjar View Post
    Eggs are a convenient (and delicious) source of protein.
    Namaste

Its wonderful that you are being vegetarian in the first place.

About eggs - its your personal choice, what you are comfortable with.

However, if a convenient and delicious source of protein is all there is to it, then so are

- scrambled Tofu on toast ?[/B]
    - lentils - (soups, stew, dry side)
    - chick peas - have you ever considered a chick-pea and fruit breakfast ?
    - legumes
    - sprouted beans, legumes in delicious chilli-like recipies or just sauted, salted,
    boiled, steamed..... (black-eye peas are Sattvic, but there are others - red kidney, navy, green mung, masoor - lentil sprouts ... )
    - whole grains - cracked wheat bulgar makes good cereal/porridge like oatmeal, barley ....

Grains and Legumes , and a lot more - a Whole Foods Site :
    http://www.mannaharvest.net/-c-1188....00bc34556b0791

Eggs are tAmasic - rAjasic for you, and it means supporting the poultry industry. I don't know what happens to free range chickens later, but this has to come from you.

Whenever you want to try new substitutes - the choices are plenty.

Perhaps we can have a recipe-sharing thread.

All the best
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste

Its wonderful that you are being vegetarian in the first place.

About eggs - its your personal choice, what you are comfortable with.

However, if a convenient and delicious source of protein is all there is to it, then so are

- scrambled Tofu on toast ?[/b]
    - lentils - (soups, stew, dry side)
    - chick peas - have you ever considered a chick-pea and fruit breakfast ?
    - legumes
    - sprouted beans, legumes in delicious chilli-like recipies or just sauted, salted,
    boiled, steamed..... (black-eye peas are Sattvic, but there are others - red kidney, navy, green mung, masoor - lentil sprouts ... )
    - whole grains - cracked wheat bulgar makes good cereal/porridge like oatmeal, barley ....

Grains and Legumes , and a lot more - a Whole Foods Site :
    http://www.mannaharvest.net/-c-1188....00bc34556b0791

Eggs are tAmasic - rAjasic for you, and it means supporting the poultry industry. I don't know what happens to free range chickens later, but this has to come from you.

Whenever you want to try new substitutes - the choices are plenty.

Perhaps we can have a recipe-sharing thread.

All the best
    That's a good idea. Thanks. I think I'm going to keep eating them for now. We'll see where I get to later. I'm trying not to be too much of a nazi with myself over it, because I figure if I make it too hard in the beginning then I'm more likely to break down and just give up.

I'm also still learning various vegetarian recipes as I'd never really known of any before this. I've had some lentils and a little bit of tofu. I'm still trying to explore and find things I like though.

Also, Scott, there's no regulations on what denotes "free-range" eggs in the US either. Apparently there are regulations for "organic" eggs though. I'll have to see how much they cost as I'm not sure if it's a viable alternative with my current financial situation.

One can eat anything and everything which can be offered to the dieties in the temple. (prasadam)

[ http://vedabase.net/bg/3/13/en ]

Thread Information