Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eggs

Re: Eggs

Excellent point Krsna Das,

Can we fry an egg and use it for naivedam??? What will it look like even if the fertility issues are taken in consideration??? If a bacteria is found that develops into a full grown chicken, will it be safe for vegetarians to consume that.

I have some friends who licked the cream off a cake and generalise that there in no egg in it, lol. But later i found out that egg is not such a vital exclusion from a vegetarian diet. Even some restaurants put a fried egg on top of their "vegetarian fried rice".

In my opinion an egg eater can not be classed a vegetarian.

Krsna Das

Quote Originally Posted by ravrajsharma View Post
    Excellent point Krsna Das,

Can we fry an egg and use it for naivedam??? What will it look like even if the fertility issues are taken in consideration??? If a bacteria is found that develops into a full grown chicken, will it be safe for vegetarians to consume that.

....In my opinion an egg eater can not be classed a vegetarian.
    Namaste

I agree, eggs are far far from vegetarian.
    However, we have to be gentler on those who have recently made vegetarianism as a goal. If they want to do it in steps.

We don't say they are veg, and even suggest offering to the Lord !

We keep supplying them with alternative goodies so they will not even notice that eggs have disappeared from the menu entirely. That's the trick
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

The egg is liquid flesh and unfit for consumption.

I agree that we must allow people to become vegetarian in steps. The best way is to give goodies made without eggs and win them over,

Quote Originally Posted by NetiNeti View Post
    The egg is liquid flesh and unfit for consumption.

I agree that we must allow people to become vegetarian in steps. The best way is to give goodies made without eggs and win them over,
    Just let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to tell you that you should eat eggs and that it's ok for you.

But your statement is blatantly incorrect. An egg yolk+germinal disc is one cell which has the purpose of feeding a developing embryo. While the egg white is provided as protection for the yolk.

Without fertilization there is no embryo. No life. It IS NOT the same as eating the body of an animal. It's food for a lifeform that could, upon fertilization, develop in that space.

How is that different from a Cow producing milk for it's infant? Should people not drink milk since it comes from an animal and feeds a baby cow? And not eat butter or cream for the same reasons?

Whether or not it is fit for consumption is another issue, and you're more than entitled to your opinions on that. But please make better arguments for it than "It is liquid flesh" because it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjar View Post
    Just let me preface this by saying I'm not trying to tell you that you should eat eggs and that it's ok for you.

But your statement is blatantly incorrect. An egg yolk+germinal disc is one cell which has the purpose of feeding a developing embryo. While the egg white is provided as protection for the yolk.

Without fertilization there is no embryo. No life. It IS NOT the same as eating the body of an animal. It's food for a lifeform that could, upon fertilization, develop in that space.

How is that different from a Cow producing milk for it's infant? Should people not drink milk since it comes from an animal and feeds a baby cow? And not eat butter or cream for the same reasons?

Whether or not it is fit for consumption is another issue, and you're more than entitled to your opinions on that. But please make better arguments for it than "It is liquid flesh" because it is not.
    I can see your point as valid. I guess I see "potential" life in the egg and that is why I do not eat it. I liken it to abortion, it is robbing the egg of the opportunity to live.

Quote Originally Posted by NetiNeti View Post
    I can see your point as valid. I guess I see "potential" life in the egg and that is why I do not eat it. I liken it to abortion, it is robbing the egg of the opportunity to live.
    I respect that. Though I would argue it is more akin to chicken period than abortion (chickens will lay eggs whether they are fertilized or not... but I think that has been said in this thread already). Though there are people out there that eat fertilized eggs that have chicken embryos in them, and I think likening THAT to abortion is much more logical.

Namaste

1. Eggs are tAmasic - rAjasic

2. Buying eggs means supporting the poultry industry
    Because first, even if the eggs are assumed to be not fertilized , the more eggs taken away from the hen, the more eggs she will lay. The hen keeps laying eggs because they are taken away from her.

3. Even if one argues that free range chickens are treated better than in the large scale poultry, why are they bred ?

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste
    2. Buying eggs means supporting the poultry industry
    Because first, even if the eggs are assumed to be not fertilized , the more eggs taken away from the hen, the more eggs she will lay. The hen keeps laying eggs because they are taken away from her.
    This is incorrect. Hens continue laying eggs because it's part of their menstrual cycle. Please make sure you have your facts straight before making wild assertions. Thanks.

Namaste dear Einherjar

I was adding to your conversation of egg facts with NetiNeti, and not trying to impose any idea of ethics.
    This is just info for the thread.

What i mentioned earlier was from memory of this :

A Krshna devotee said : "the chicken will not produce more eggs if we stop taking them away from her. She thinks its her babies and every time she tries to have one they end up missing. When the eggs are left with the chicken the chicken stop rapidly producing them."

I have asked him for the source of this, as he is very sincere and thorough while giving info.

------------

More quotes from the internet

Chickens don't lay so many eggs if you don't remove them. They only lay so many eggs to replace the ones that have been stolen.

About infertile eggs : As long as the eggs are collected every day, the hens will continue to lay more eggs. But if a hen is allowed to amass a threshold number of eggs (a clutch?) she will stop producing, whether they are fertilized or not.

--------

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitych...ntlyasked.html
    What is 'broody' ?
    You see, if you want a chicken that lays a lot of eggs for eating, you don't want one that still has the instinct to stop laying eggs and sit on her eggs all the time.  You want one that has had all the broody instincts bred out of her so she'll lay for you year-round.  So farmers over the years have raised up what are known as utility breeds; chickens that don't go broody and that lay almost all year 'round.

--------------

And to answer the qn "Will a fried egg be naivedyam ?" - No, because it is utterly non-sAttvic, far from it, and KRSNa/BhagavAn does not accept such things.

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste dear Einherjar

I was adding to your conversation of egg facts with NetiNeti, and not trying to impose any idea of ethics.
    This is just info for the thread.

What i mentioned earlier was from memory of this :

A Krshna devotee said : "the chicken will not produce more eggs if we stop taking them away from her. She thinks its her babies and every time she tries to have one they end up missing. When the eggs are left with the chicken the chicken stop rapidly producing them."

I have asked him for the source of this, as he is very sincere and thorough while giving info.

------------

More quotes from the internet

Chickens don't lay so many eggs if you don't remove them. They only lay so many eggs to replace the ones that have been stolen.

About infertile eggs : As long as the eggs are collected every day, the hens will continue to lay more eggs. But if a hen is allowed to amass a threshold number of eggs (a clutch?) she will stop producing, whether they are fertilized or not.

--------

http://home.centurytel.net/thecitych...ntlyasked.html
    What is 'broody' ?
    You see, if you want a chicken that lays a lot of eggs for eating, you don't want one that still has the instinct to stop laying eggs and sit on her eggs all the time. You want one that has had all the broody instincts bred out of her so she'll lay for you year-round. So farmers over the years have raised up what are known as utility breeds; chickens that don't go broody and that lay almost all year 'round.

--------------

And to answer the qn "Will a fried egg be naivedyam ?" - No, because it is utterly non-sAttvic, far from it, and KRSNa/BhagavAn does not accept such things.
    Apologies if my last post was a little snappy. I was having kind of a rough day.

I think the real question would be if the eggs are fertilized and hatched, will the hen continue to lay them after those chicks are born? I'm not sure about a hen being able to consciously choose to lay eggs.

I'm well aware that eggs are not sattvic food and I'm really not trying to say they are. But if people are so adamantly against them that they put it on the same level as abortion, I'm kind of curious why. Because the fact does remain that it is a natural phenomenon and you're not directly harming a life form by consuming them so long as they are not fertilized.

Thread Information