Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Eggs

Re: Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjar View Post
    Apologies if my last post was a little snappy. I was having kind of a rough day.
    Namaste

No need to apologize - i don't see any snappy,
    I was also just letting you know that that line was only FYI and i was not suggesting life is directly harmed.

I think the real question would be if the eggs are fertilized and hatched, will the hen continue to lay them after those chicks are born?
    The above quotes answer precisely that. Its called brooding instinct. Hens don't keep on giving away nutrition (eggs) on their own.
    But that is not our topic, as we are talking about hens bred to give infertile eggs - or we assume they are infertile. Fertile or not, after a clutch they prefer to stop.

I'm not sure about a hen being able to consciously choose to lay eggs.
    This is what is called the brooding instinct - quote above. After a clutch is ready, they [try to] incubate them (fertile or not doesn't matter - the hen cannot tell).

I'm well aware that eggs are not sattvic food and I'm really not trying to say they are.
    That was to answer Sharmaji's post #11 - assuming the eggs are indeed without embryo

But if people are so adamantly against them that they put it on the same level as abortion, I'm kind of curious why.
    You know it wasn't me who said that, but this will be the case in natural setting or when hens are bred to actually reproduce as chicks - so female chicks replace the older hens. Otherwise, in case of industrial poultry, eggs that go to the market usually have no embryo as there is no rooster.

Because the fact does remain that it is a natural phenomenon and you're not directly harming a life form by consuming them so long as they are not fertilized.
    Yes, you are right - in case of utility breeds and farmed poultry. Only that the phenomenon is not natural when the hen has to lay 300 eggs a yr. That is all those quotes tell us. Not saying its abortion.

Hope that helps
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Cool Re: Eggs

Quote Originally Posted by Einherjar View Post
    How is that different from a Cow producing milk for it's infant? Should people not drink milk since it comes from an animal and feeds a baby cow? And not eat butter or cream for the same reasons?

Whether or not it is fit for consumption is another issue, and you're more than entitled to your opinions on that. But please make better arguments for it than "It is liquid flesh" because it is not.
    I do not agree with this stupid quote, egg is made of blood and flesh so it is indeed liquid flesh

Cow's calf can drink milk of breast only, and not from body. Thats why in Hinduism, calf is allowed to drink milk first, after it human can use rest of milk. We cannot call it stealing, it is made by ॐ for us neturally,Thats why Hinduism calls 'gao vishvasy matar' गौ विश्वस्य मातर,

If you eat egg it's your personal stupidity, don't try to compare milk with it

We can use milk products as prasadam too, but not egg products.
    Even Lord Krishan was milkaholic, butterholic but a strict vegitrain, He knows everything, there nothing come as cow or their calf ever opposed

Beaf eaters had compared milk with beaf, it has become their wit that what you said, and many are following it by urging others to avoid milk, never mind only those who do not belive in Lord Krishan and Hinduism will agree with it

Even Devtas drink milk from Kamdhenu, does this ever point that it was for her daughter Nandini only ? No Nandini's share was from breast only rest was for all Dharmik

Namaste

Just one clarification. In the western countries, some people have become vegan, not because of comparing milk to meat (- yes , comparing milk with eggs is off the mark).

They are vegan because of the industrial practices of dairy. Some of them believe in Lord Krshna and Hinduism too. Like Krshna is watching me- a vegan - type this. The Go-Matas came by one day and said "You don't have to do this. Please take our milk." And I told them "You are already providing milk for everyone, and i shall also consume milk products occasionally, but violence to you and yours i cannot ignore"

Facts on Eggs and Dairy (In the West)

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-vegetarian-eggs.htm
    Last edited by smaranam; 14 April 2010 at 02:34 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Quote Originally Posted by LALKAR View Post
    I do not agree with this stupid quote, egg is made of blood and flesh so it is indeed liquid flesh

Cow's calf can drink milk of breast only, and not from body. Thats why in Hinduism, calf is allowed to drink milk first, after it human can use rest of milk. We cannot call it stealing, it is made by ॐ for us neturally,Thats why Hinduism calls 'gao vishvasy matar' गौ विश्वस्य मातर,

If you eat egg it's your personal stupidity, don't try to compare milk with it

We can use milk products as prasadam too, but not egg products.
    Even Lord Krishan was milkaholic, butterholic but a strict vegitrain, He knows everything, there nothing come as cow or their calf ever opposed

Beaf eaters had compared milk with beaf, it has become their wit that what you said, and many are following it by urging others to avoid milk, never mind only those who do not belive in Lord Krishan and Hinduism will agree with it

Even Devtas drink milk from Kamdhenu, does this ever point that it was for her daughter Nandini only ? No Nandini's share was from breast only rest was for all Dharmik
    I don't appreciate you bringing insults into the conversation, I did not insult anyone who chooses not to eat eggs so I would expect a similar respect for my views. You don't have to agree with it, but saying I'm stupid is a little out of line.

Cool Re: Eggs

I am not insulting anybody, but you were using the wit of beaf eaters who link beaf with milk for justifying themselves as they eat beaf and hindus drink milk. There is no logic this is pure stupidity (this is not for you or any individual)

Vannakkam all:

I don't eat eggs for same reasons as others expressed. You can never tell (with absolute certainty) if an egg is fertilized or not until you crack it open. I also understand how eggs (and fish) are used in the transition state from meat-eating to vegetarianism.

Then also its not just about being able to replenish for milk. Blood is also replenished, and some African tribals use it as a source of food. Hindus certainly don't and wouldn't.

Ultimately, its how the individual FEELS about it. I personally FEEL like eggs are meat, and I certainly don't miss them as even a s a western kid raised in a beef - eating culture, I couldn't stand eggs.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by LALKAR View Post
    I am not insulting anybody, but you were using the wit of beaf eaters who link beaf with milk for justifying themselves as they eat beaf and hindus drink milk. There is no logic this is pure stupidity (this is not for you or any individual)
    I did not connect beef with milk. I connected eggs with milk as both are produced on the presumption of reproduction and feeding either an embryo or calf and neither cause direct harm to a living being.

There's a pretty big difference between that and connecting something that involves slaughtering a living being to eat with drinking an animal product that does not cause a life to end. That, I agree, is completely illogical.

Buying eggs stimulates the slaughter of hens, that's true. In the same way, buying milk stimulates the slaughter of calves. Milk is pure sattva, egg is rajas/tamas, but ethically there is not much difference from drinking milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Buying eggs stimulates the slaughter of hens, that's true. In the same way, buying milk stimulates the slaughter of calves. Milk is pure sattva, egg is rajas/tamas, but ethically there is not much difference from drinking milk.

Vannakkam Sahasranama:

Welcome to these forums. Good to see you jumping right in.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté sagasranama

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    In the same way, buying milk stimulates the slaughter of calves.

How so? I surely am missing something here. Isn't buying of milk stimulating the notion of more milk?

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information