Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Eggs

Re: Eggs

Regarding eggs..the ones from the farm are technically not fertilized hence there is no loss of life here but then again the hens are kept in cramped up cages are unable to even stand their whole life..thats the reason why I dont eat eggs either.
    And for those who are keen on Sattvik food then its better to omit eggs cos its comes under Rajasic food.
    The choice is finally ours..as even though I am a vegetarian i feel being veg is not enough to qualify as a good person but no harm friendly to animals and avoid eating them.

Well, not only to not eat meat, fish or eggs.. but I also offer all my food to the Lord as prasadam. I can not do it formally at the moment since I live with two meat-eating roommates, but as soon as I move out in the next few months, I shall be able to do so once again.

Jaya Prasadam!

"Only by providence have I been forcibly brought under Your lotus feet and deprived of all my opulence. Because of the illusion created by temporary opulence, people in general, who live under material conditions, facing accidental death at every moment, do not understand that this life is temporary. Only by providence have I been saved from that condition."

-- Bali Maharaja

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    I don't know what happens to free range chickens later
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pasture...-Range_Poultry

Combined with proper aging after slaughter the meat is tender and flavorful.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by NetiNeti View Post
    I can see your point as valid. I guess I see "potential" life in the egg and that is why I do not eat it. I liken it to abortion, it is robbing the egg of the opportunity to live.
    All hen birds will lay eggs, even in the absence of a male. They will even lay them in the presence of a male of another species, with which they could not even produce a viable embryo. It's simply a biological and hormonal action.

That's how egg farms get hens to produce eggs. Their biological cycles are manipulated so they produce eggs. Now, that in itself may be considered ahimsa because it's disurbing, or forcing a biologic function.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Quote Originally Posted by NetiNeti View Post
    The egg is liquid flesh and unfit for consumption.

I agree that we must allow people to become vegetarian in steps. The best way is to give goodies made without eggs and win them over,
    yes, I agree with this.

Scientifically (biologically) speaking the bird egg is either an unfertilised womb&ovum or a (fertilised) womb&foetus that is EXTERNAL to the creature unlike in most mammals where it is within the animal.

The argument that a bird egg is NOT liquid flesh if it does not have an embryo is invalid. A human womb is still flesh even if it does not contain an embryo.

The argument that an unfertilised egg is not a living thing is valid but it is not an argument that is salient to vegetarianism that eschews flesh products. You could use the same type of argument to say that a dead rabbit found beside the highway is not a living thing and OK to eat it because you were not involved in violence to obtain it. The same type of argument may be applied to the products of the female menstruation but does that make it vegetarian?

I apologise if my coverage of these points may cause some aesthetic discomfort for some. However every time I see an egg being boiled or beaten I cannot help feeling a deep distaste for the sight of such treatment to a foetus or womb&ovum complex.

Thus this post supports a logical, scientific observation and also records an aesthetic or subjective response to it.

Thread Information