Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the structure of Om

the structure of Om

How about a discussion on the structure of Om, such as the structure of the letter. I have read it represents four states of consciousness.

One question I have is if the top dot should be square ('diamond') or round. I have seen it both ways. I am making a picture about Om coming from Parabrahm, the latter represented by a point in a circle and then Om at the bottom and the point overlaps. Should the middle then be a square in a circle or just a circle? The picture is supposed to represent the chain of causes for the universe, but I want to represent Parabrahm and Pranava correctly.

Re: the structure of Om

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté Davidc

Quote Originally Posted by DavidC View Post
    How about a discussion on the structure of Om, such as the structure of the letter.

Regarding praṇava

There has been much written on its structure, implications, meanings and the like. If you have time Please consider a search under the word pranava, or praṇava or praNava. I think you will find a plethora of information. That said I took the liberty of picking a few posts for your consideration i.e. a 'good starter kit'.

From this post - a full section on oṁ ॐ
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...hlight=pranava

From this discussion: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/show thread.php?t=4867&highlight=pranava

• praṇava or oṁ, also called oṁkāra is also considered tāreṇa; tāra or a mystical monosyllable i.e.praṇava or oṁ (oṁkāra) ; ṇa is the 'cerebral nasal' sound, also an orament .
    • ardhendu अर्धेन्दु - a half-moon crescent - we see this on top of oṁ ॐ
    • The dot above it; that is, how anusvāra is written symbolocially. What is anusvāra? Recall from other posts that ṁ is anusvāra or nasalization of the preceding vowel; we write this anusāraḥ like this ṁ. And for praṇava we see it as the dot above the cresent.
    From this discussion: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=36387&postcount=12
    • nāda - any sound or tone ; from √ nad - a loud sound , roaring , bellowing , crying; in grammar the nasal sound represented by a semicircle and used as an abbreviation in mystical words ~ praṇava oṁ would be one.
    • bindu - ( later written as vindu) - drop , globule , dot.
    • Lets connect the two via the writing/grammar component : nāda = the semi-circle + bindu =the dot over it. Hence this upaniṣad is dealing with sound and with praṇava oṁ ; note the nāda semi-circle + bindu dot above it. We know of others like hūṁ हूं the dot over a letter representing the anusvāra, or nasal sound.
    Some consider the last sound of oṁ as amātra- without measure , boundless. That is the silence at the end of oṁ i.e. A U M __ note the blue line at rest, no sound no motion, perfect stllness - this is considered the 4th part, turiya.

From this post hūṁ connected with oṁ - this requires a bit more reading and pondering. http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...hlight=pranava
    Last edited by yajvan; 02 March 2010 at 11:32 AM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Vannakkam:

Here is a link to a CD with over 1000 variations. I'm sure most would be on line somewhere.

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/art/

I am just wondering how to correctly pronounce "om". I have heard it rhyme with "home" with "Tom" with "Awm" as in "Awful", with "ow" and many others.

Quote Originally Posted by wcrow View Post
    I am just wondering how to correctly pronounce "om". I have heard it rhyme with "home" with "Tom" with "Awm" as in "Awful", with "ow" and many others.
    I'm sure there are lots of variations that occur due to dialects/accents. In my experience though I've for the most part only heard it pronounced in the way that rhymes with "home". Then again I could be entirely mistaken. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable (probably something like 95% of the members here) will chime in.

Vannakkam: The spelling A U M indicates a blend of 3 distinct sounds.. aw as in dawn, but held, then oo as in cool, also held, then mmmm with the teeth slightly together so that the vibration goes into the bones, especially the cranium. This is how I was taught. Others may vary.

Aum Namasivaya

Thanks Eastern mind. So, you would go Aaaawwwooooooommmmmm?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté
    • One must conisder mātra ( i.e. meter or measure) of this oṁ and amātra (without measure), its rest.
    • One must consider the time of the day ( AM and PM)
    • One must consider anusvāra, symbolically as the dot over the m as shown --> o or as the dot above the cresent as shown -->
      • What is anusvāra? that ṁ is nasalization of the sound, that is brought up to the nose cavity to the place between the brow.
      • Some think of the example of humming and directing and concluding that humming sound up to the nose cavity then to the place between the brow.
    Well begun is half done.
    Last edited by yajvan; 02 March 2010 at 08:15 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by wcrow View Post
    Thanks Eastern mind. So, you would go Aaaawwwooooooommmmmm?
    Yes. But it is also experiential. When you get it right, you can 'feel' it. At least that's my view. When you get it really right, you can really feel it.

Best wishes with experiential knowledge.

Aum Namasivaya

AUM is the sound of the cosmos humming.

AUM is an 'echoic' (onomatopoeic) name of the person who first banged-the-gong.

AUM is a name for the materially manifest cosmos.

Thread Information