Thread: Caste discrimination in the uk

Caste discrimination in the uk

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8546661.stm

This is on the front page of the BBC politics page.
    Hindus are a tiny population in the UK. They dont have any evidence of it here in the UK just speculation. Hindus are a very successful minority in the UK. The UK have bigger problems with sex and race discrimination than this alleged discrimination among Hindus.

But I guess if its there then best to but it in the equalities Bill. Can't believe that there are significant second generation Hindus in the UK who do this.

Re: Caste discrimination in the uk

Keshava: It happened here in my city. I'm not sure if it was actually caste, or just ignorance. I have found it is very hard to teach an old dog new tricks, whether it is a western rednecks racist attitude to all minorities, homophobia or gender bias, or caste.

The first temple here was built primarily by Brahmins from India, but a mixture of Marathis, Telegu, Bengali, Punjabi, etc. Most, if not all, were university professors, or professionals. But the overwhelming majority was Brahmin. This was mid to late 60s. In the 70s we faced a wave of immigration from Fiji, mostly to Vancouver, but also here. Most were clue collar workers, truck drivers, mechanics, salt o' the earth types.

After about 5 years of real or perceived discrimination at the temple, they just got together as a group and built their own temple.

Many cannot see this in a mirror. Outwardly, they are saying, "Oh no not me. I don't practice casteism. But then you go to their house and the Phillipine or Indian nanny peeks out from behind the door. Actions speak louder than words.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Keshava: It happened here in my city. I'm not sure if it was actually caste, or just ignorance. I have found it is very hard to teach an old dog new tricks, whether it is a western rednecks racist attitude to all minorities, homophobia or gender bias, or caste.

The first temple here was built primarily by Brahmins from India, but a mixture of Marathis, Telegu, Bengali, Punjabi, etc. Most, if not all, were university professors, or professionals. But the overwhelming majority was Brahmin. This was mid to late 60s. In the 70s we faced a wave of immigration from Fiji, mostly to Vancouver, but also here. Most were clue collar workers, truck drivers, mechanics, salt o' the earth types.

After about 5 years of real or perceived discrimination at the temple, they just got together as a group and built their own temple.

Many cannot see this in a mirror. Outwardly, they are saying, "Oh no not me. I don't practice casteism. But then you go to their house and the Phillipine or Indian nanny peeks out from behind the door. Actions speak louder than words.

Aum Namasivaya
    I can understand that the first generation are stuck like that but its surprising if 2nd generation Hindus are doing this especially at the work place. I remember my parents who follow another tradition telling me that the local swaminarayan temple only caters for our community and they shouldnt be letting the other type of gujeratis in as they haven't contributed to building the temple and it was obvious they had sterotypical views against them aswell.

Skin and caste diseases. I know the village i'm from in india has got problems with lower castes and not letting them in to temples. My aunt is a devote Swaminarayan. She is okay with associating with people in her own community that drink eat meat etc, but wont associate with sattvik lower caste people. The pay respect to born brahmins that are only by thread but wont show any respect to pious lower caste people. When I debated her she had never really thought about. I think its ingrained through upbringing.

Namaste keshava:

Yes, I agree with your observations. It is much less in the second generation, if not disappeared altogether. Gosh, I've even been to one intertemple marriage, lol.

Aum Namasivaya

Dandvats

How does an intertemple wedding work? Sounds interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Namaste keshava:

Yes, I agree with your observations. It is much less in the second generation, if not disappeared altogether. Gosh, I've even been to one intertemple marriage, lol.

Aum Namasivaya

Keshava: What I meant was two devotees who normally went to two different temples. She was North Indian Mauritian, and he was Sri Lankan. He just gave in on the way the marriage was done. I think her origin involved Marathi because the good thing for him was he arrived at the wedding riding a horse, and he'd never ridden a horse before. Now they are casual attenders at both temples. It was a love marriage. Because he was willing to accept the new way as valid, its working. She too about his way.

In another case between a Sri Lankan and a South African, there was animosity at the wedding between parents of bride and groom, as each had a different tradition.

But we have more interfaith marriages as well. Hard to say how the third and fourth generation are going to be. My guess is they will be nothing, as the west's values (or lack of) take hold. and then maybe come back to something. I won't be around to find out.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information