Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Karma Yoga?

Re: Karma Yoga?

Hi Eastern... I will post a bit freely here, take it as such:

Overall what you mentioned are usually good actions.
    Dharma and karma are inseparable, since dharma is the divine will and what breaks that is bad karma and what follows that is good karma.
    Doing my dharma is good karma.
    Not doing it is bad karma.
    Doing it for myself (lower self) creates attachment.
    Doing it as divine service (preferably by actually seeing divinity in your fellow men/animals), creates no attachment and is the highest worship. (divinity dwells in the heart of every creature)

Now the question arises, what is dharma? It has been defined according to varna and other categories. That definition is OK and is a help to those who need it. But there is a higher one which is more flexible. That action which gives shanti in mind is dharma, since it has the blessing of the highest divinity. So to follow this atma-dharma or sva-dharma is the essence of karma-yoga. If we follow it we will get very much shanti (peace) of mind.
    Or to keep it short: If we follow conscience we are prefect karma-yogis, directly verified by the highest divinity (which is very hard to do completely). If we cant do that, we do it according to scriptures and add in not desiring the fruit. If we cant do that we should at least avoid harming others etc.

Personally I find it hard to define a number of situations as good or bad. But we know that truthfulness, helpfulness etc are classified as eternal values. The goal of karma-yoga is the realization of the universal divinity and acting according to that realization. It might take time to get there, and it might be in steps. But the path and goal will then be the same. When we are perfectly in tune with karma-yoga, we are perfect yogis (one with atmic will). Hence there is no end to karma-yoga. That which is not karma-yoga is ego-yoga. Karma-yoga will result in both bhakti and jnana. Bhakti & Jnana will express itself as karma-yoga. Karma-yoga cant be avoided.
    “There is a Guru in each of us. It is the Atma principle. It is the Eternal Witness functioning as Conscience in everyone. With this Conscience as guide, let all actions be done.” (sss20-15)

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Krsna Das:

So then could you give some examples of some specific actions that ARE karma yoga.

Aum Namasivaya
    All those actions, which are in line with Sastra (like varnasrama dharma), and the doer does not desire the result of these actions, but also does this for the pleasure of Lord viz, I am earning money, Am I using it for the pleasure of Lord? Lord says in Geeta, the one who preaches my message is my favourite amongst the devotees, So If I am organizing a religious program in my home every week and inviting people for discourses in Geeta with free lunch or dinner (sumptous prasadam) then the money used for this activity will be for the pleasure of Lord - This is Niskama Karma Yoga. Another example, I am purchasing Geeta and donating to people, who are interested in reading it. Or donating Krsna Prasadam to the needy ones.

If I am simply donating food (not prasadam) to a begger, it is not Niskama Karma Yoga it is just a Punya-Karma which may or may not be a Niskama Karma. But this is definately not Niskama Karma Yoga.

Vannakkam Ekanta and Krsna:

I guess I'm just a down to earth bloke and need down to earth examples instead of high falutin' philosophy.

Ekanta: Personally, I don't classify karma as good or bad, just karma. Perhaps I could say 'that which leads one closer to God', and 'that which leads one further away'.

I know a fellow who does a lot of Seva who has a particularly cute way of not taking credit. He'll go about something sort of secretively like washing a floor. Then someone else comes along and exclaims "My goodness, someone washed the floor. I wonder who it was." Then my friend just says, "Hmmm, yes, someone must have."

I kind of sneak around like that too. Praise promotes pride, so if I can do things without the people around, it works better for me. Funny thing is almost everyone agrees when you say 'Its God's work"

Even this place is all His dance.

Aum Namasivaya

I agree with what you say Eastern. Here's a quote I saved for an occasion like this (from Sathya Sai Baba):

"I often tell the students that the one truth proclaimed by all the 18 puranas (epics) is: "Paropakarah Punyaya; Paapaya parapeedanam" (It is meritorious to help others; it is sinful to harm other's). The term paropakara should be properly understood. It is not merely rendering help to others in one form of other. The term para-upa-kara means:

• Bringing (Kara) to the
    • Proximity (Upa) of
    • God (Para).

Purely mundane forms of help cannot be described as paropakara. They are gross, external and worldly.

True paropakara consists in bringing your life close to the divine. That is punya (merit). Punya does not mean going on pilgrimage or giving gifts. Punya means taking your life close to God. This calls for Ekathmabhava (the recognition of the Divine in all beings).
    Para-peedanam means failing to see the Divine in all beings. That is Papa (sinful)." (sss 28-9)
    “There is a Guru in each of us. It is the Atma principle. It is the Eternal Witness functioning as Conscience in everyone. With this Conscience as guide, let all actions be done.” (sss20-15)

So.. I like to play and run Roleplaying games. When I design adventures and stuff.. I should look at this as if the adventures I'm creating are not for my players but as if Krishna is my players?

Logic of sense control:

nāsti buddhir ayuktasya | na cāyuktasya bhāvanā |
    na cābhāvayataḥ śāntir | aśāntasya kutaḥ sukham || BG 2.66 ||

2.66 There is no knowledge of the Self [buddhiḥ] to the unsteady [ayuktasya], and to the unsteady [ayuktasya] no meditation [bhāvanā] is possible; and to the un-meditative [abhāvayataḥ] there can be no peace [śāntiḥ]; and to the man who has no peace [aśāntasya], how can there be happiness [sukham]?

indriyāṇāṃ hi caratāṃ | yan mano 'nuvidhīyate |
    tad asya harati prajńāṃ | vāyur nāvam ivāmbhasi || BG 2.67 ||

2.67 For the mind [manaḥ] which follows in the wake of the wandering senses [indriyāṇām], carries away his discrimination [prajńām] as the wind (carries away) a boat on the waters.

tasmād yasya mahā-bāho | nigṛhītāni sarvaśaḥ |
    indriyāṇīndriyārthebhyas | tasya prajńā pratiṣṭhitā || BG 2.68 ||

2.68 Therefore, O mighty-armed Arjuna, his knowledge [prajńā] is steady [pratiṣṭhitā] whose senses [indriyāṇi] are completely restrained from sense-objects [indriya-arthebhyaḥ]!

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    So.. I like to play and run Roleplaying games. When I design adventures and stuff.. I should look at this as if the adventures I'm creating are not for my players but as if Krishna is my players?
    What games do you play? WoW? DA: Origins? FF XIII? GoW III? etc.?

Anyway, first and foremost, don't trivialize Karma Yoga as such.

Secondly, Karma Yoga, or 'Yoga of Action' is not necessarily outward action; meaning, it does not always mean going "out there" and giving alms, building a hut for the homeless etc. If one perfects himself, the ripple effect it has, as we are all a fundamental part of nature, is profound. Many think action is only about "helping others by going somewhere and doing something".

A sage can help many by just remaining in his place in silence. This is what Ramana Maharishi did among scores of other sages in India.

Read the abridged version of the GItA and the chapter on Karma Yoga especially.

I don't play Video Games.. I play Table Top Roleplaying Games.. It's like a story telling game. Like Dungeons and Dragons

Thread Information