Thread: playing sitars, etc.

playing sitars, etc.

In the arts section, I posted 'how can one learn or try Classical instruments (esp. sitars). Perhaps the title or post was too long, but lately I asked what is important when buying a sitar. If any admin is reading, could you maybe change the topic in the arts section to the topic of this post, so maybe a sitar player would see it and give advice? I share my music with everyone ( http://www.traxinspace.com/artistmusic/darwin ,) so I hope it seems worthwhile to help.

Re: playing sitars, etc.

imnot an expert on sitar but have learned the instrument for quite some time .
    first of all you need an sitar expert to check out the sitar you'r going to buy , on ur behalf . one important thing to consider is the round bulboud end of the sitar which is actually a dried up skin of a gourd . the sound of the sitar has a lot to do with this fruit shell . then ofcourse come the wood quality and mechanical accuracy . second thing is the bridge of the sitar over which the strings pass . it has to be carved at the perfect angle . but such examinations can only be done by someone expert at sitar .
    its best to ask your guru or techer to help you in chosing one -- this is the norm followed in india .

Re: playing sitars, etc.

Thanks for the advice! I am also wondering if I really need a full sized one or if a 3/4 size one is fine. I have heard of those but have never seen a picture of one.

Thread Information