Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Breaking Protocol

Re: Breaking Protocol

Vannakkam Eastern Mind, everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post

Certainly, its difficult for most of us Hindus who are shy by nature to walk up to a total stranger and say something. I have done it though ... on the wearing of hats, on talking on a cellphone, on talking too much during a puja, etc.

Aum Namasivaya
    I guess you're already familiar with what I've been forced to do at temples from my rantings in other threads. The weirdest thing is that besides being shy, I'm also only 20. This makes me uncertain to warn or not. But when they get out of my nerves, like wearing footwear in temple grounds despite having been warned, or try to enter the sanctum sanctorum, besides blocking the view of other devotees with cameras and stuff, then I feel I'm obliged to warn these people, if the temple workers aren't around.

Sometimes, adult Hindus themselves misbehave, what more the tourists.

But luckily most would get to a quiet corner if their cellphone rings, and scold their children if they get noisy. If I'm not in the mood to warn, I just give them a sidelong glance, and they usually get the message.

Aum Namah Shivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Equinox View Post

like wearing footwear in temple grounds despite having been warned, or try to enter the sanctum sanctorum, besides blocking the view of other devotees with cameras and stuff,
    Vannakkam: And then some people wonder why temples ban westerners? ... this is exactly why. I'm going to Mauritius for an extended period, staying near a Sivan koyil, but also near a European tourist town, so we'll see how it goes. I might have to become the local enforcer,
    because most likely I'll be spending an hour or more a day there sitting.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

I specifically make a point of avoiding carrying cameras in such environs abroad at temples etc., and always try to "blend in" with respectful attire and footware that is appropriate or even local dress of the region. I do not bother others with questions, and am also politely open to any questions from others to me. If I can, I try to have a local accompany me. I especially am respectful and mindful of elders, priests, and children. I try to learn regional basic communication skills if possible, such as Tamil when I go to South India in the future, a place I have not visited yet.

I hate tourists with cameras who ruin the reputation of all Westerners. I also hate smart alec Westerners who think they are "yogis" and then try to tell some local elderly gentleman something about "Brahman" and such. I always worship with respect the local presiding Deva or Devi of the region, provence, county or village. I only listen and do not volunteer any preaching or viewpoint.

Om Namah Sivaya

Thread Information