Thread: vegetarian strength?

Question vegetarian strength?

hello everyone. this is my first post.
    I have a question regarding strength. i am curious to know if there are methods in yoga or other hindu scriptures/systems to acheive the following objectives

1) diet rules/exercises for losing weight
    2) diet and exercises for building strength
    3) diet rules for building high fitness levels with good functioning of internal organs heart and lungs.
    4) diet rules and exercises for gettting very lean and /or body building

Have there been strong people in inida in the past/present who have never eaten meat. the current diet prescribed for most body building/power building does involve meat in the west.
    i understand maybe things like physical strength and getting 6 pack abs is not the objective of spirituality or yoga but is just vanity, but im still curious.

i apologise if this not a spiritual question and if i have said anything incorrect. if i am posting this in the wrong section, please guide me.

kind regards,
    jake

Re: vegetarian strength?

fp:

There used to be a list of vegetarian athletes on here somewhere but I couldn't find it. If any western bodybuilding type is trying to feed you the idea that you need to eat meat to develop muscles, they are full of it. Why not try searching elsewhere on line? Eating meat to build strength is a lie. Exercise isn't.

Aum namasivaya

Aum Namasivaya

I am a rockclimber and consider myself to be rather strong. I do not eat eggs or meat but can surpass those that do on a regular basis. A balanced diet of beans, tofu, veggies, nuts and fruits along with wholesome dairy products can make you very strong and lean. Try to get a good amount of protein without adding fats in every meal. Examples of this are bean dishes with a LITTLE butter or tofu grilled with spices. The key is not to saturate the protein with more than the needed amount of fat. The same goes for side dishes. Brown rice, sauteed veggies (varying between leafy greens and other veggies) and fruit salads are great sides. Try not to over fat veggies, but a little ghee can make them taste great. Limit dairy to milk, vegetarian cheeses and yogurt. Try not to eat sugary dairy products like ice cream and chocolate milk. Try not to snack on junk food either.

The more protein the better for strength. Get a veggie cookbook and learn a million ways to cook beans and tofu. Seitan is a wheat protein we have in the west. It is quite tasty and has a TON of protein.

To lose weight you must burn more calories than you eat. Cardiovascular training can do this, but you are better off doing interval training. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-in...erval_training

For strength you can lift weights and do explosive exercises like squat jumps and burpees (look it up). If you are adverse to lifting weights, pull-ups, push-ups, crunches and squat jumps can get you very far.

For proper functioning of internal organs yoga is your best bet.

Hope this helped. Feel free to PM me for more information and links.

OM SHANTI

I think it all depends on the goal one has.

Some gurus have pointed out that a dead body requires 4 people to carry it, whereas a single person carries the burden while life exists. As per specific goal of sadhakas, adding unnecessary mass and muscle is detrimental -- one has to carry it till the end. How does it feel to carry a lot of luggage?

Second point is regarding the nature of hot non veg food, which induces distraction in mind. Actually and eventually a veg diet is conducive to better health and mind.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thread Information