Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: do you have to be vegetarian to be hindu ?

Re: do you have to be vegetarian to be hindu ?

Pranam all

We may do and say anything we want, that does not stop us Being Hindu but is it according to dharma, that is the question to ask, is it in line with Yam and Niyam of yoga.

What does Shastra say? our Shastra says in no uncertain terms that jivo jivasya jivanam meaning one living entity is food for another, but that all mighty God has given us power to discriminate, that is what separate us from other animals.

I certainly think meat eating is detrimental in our quest for spiritual life, but don’t take my word for it. what does Shastra say?

Ahimsa and even more potent is daya or Karuna (compassion) are part of Niyam or pillars of Hindu dharma. On this we have to draw our on conclusion how to imbibe these law in our life,to rely on mind or mind levels then there is a danger a real danger because mind has a habit of finding an excuse for just about anything.

What does Shastra say?

Satvik rajsik and tamsik are three gunas we are all bound by. Suppress the rajsik and tamsik Satvik will dominate and so on, for those who are interested can read Gita chapter 17, here food is described in three different mode meat would certainly fall in Tamsik mode.

And that action performed in ignorance and delusion without consideration of future bondage or consequences, which inflicts injury and is impractical, is said to be action in the mode of ignorance. 18.25BG

We pray.

Peaceful be the earth, peaceful the ether, peaceful heaven, peaceful the waters, peaceful the herbs, peaceful the trees. May all Gods bring me peace. May there be peace through these invocations of peace. With these invocations of peace which appease everything, I render peaceful whatever here is terrible, whatever here is cruel, whatever here is sinful. Let it become auspicious, let everything be beneficial to us.
    Atharva Veda Samhita 10. 191. 4

Those noble souls who practice meditation and other yogic ways, who are ever careful about all beings, who protect all animals, are the ones who are actually serious about spiritual practices.
    Atharva Veda Samhita 19.48.5. FS, 90

Now the actual prohibition,

Hindu scripture speaks clearly and forcefully on no killing and vegetarianism. In the ancient Rig Veda, we read: "O vegetable, be succulent, wholesome, strengthening; and thus, body, be fully grown." The Yajur Veda summarily dictates: "Do not injure the beings living on the earth, in the air and in the water Tirukural, a widely-read 2,000-year-old masterpiece of ethics, speaks of conscience: EM already spoke on it. There are many verses in the shastra if interested, I pick three.

One who partakes of human flesh, the flesh of a horse or of another animal, and deprives others of milk by slaughtering cows, O King, if such a fiend does not desist by other means, then you should not hesitate to punish such a person.
    Rig Veda Samhita, 10.87.16, FS 90

Manu samhita
    51. He who permits (the slaughter of an animal), he who cuts it up, he who kills it, he who buys or sells (meat), he who cooks it, he who serves it up, and he who eats it, (must all be considered as) the slayers (of the animal).
    52. There is no greater sinner than that (man) who, though not worshipping the gods or the manes, seeks to increase (the bulk of) his own flesh by the flesh of other (beings).

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

I eat meat, just not beef, and I'm Hindu.

I do have a bit of a problem with the idea that you must be a vegetarian in order to not kill to eat, because plants are living beings that can be killed, as well. Heck, certain life forms are killed every time we breathe and bathe. Killing is how we fight of diseases. Killing others is simply how we survive.

But I would say that in order to fully live in accordance with the yamas and niyamas, vegetarianism must be followed. Sure, absolute and total 100% ahimsa is impossible to follow because of what I said earlier, but the common person must do his absolute best to not cause harm to others, and that requires vegetarianism.

You have to do what you can, it's not possible to follow all rules from the shastras.

I am a vegetarian, but I could not follow the rules from the shastras not to eat certain foods on certain tithies. There is a whole list of foods not to be eaten during certain days of lunar month.

Vannakkam:

I still think, although it would be hard to verify, that British and European influence is one of the main reasons many Hindus have converted to a meat eating diet. The British ridiculed all aspects of our faith, including 'cow worship' etc. There is this really weird vibration and oxymoron I have seen regarding meat in some of my Indian and Sri Lankan friends. On one hand, they hide it, and feel so incredibly guilty, yet on the other hand, its like a physical addiction almost akin to tobacco. For some odd reason they have to live with this dichotomy of not being able to put into practice what they actually believe. Frankly, I don't understand it at all, or where it came from. Even on here we hear it. Almost like teenage revolt against the parent. Just do the opposite of what is suggested.

Any hints to better understanding of this phenomenon would be appreciated.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam:

I still think, although it would be hard to verify, that British and European influence is one of the main reasons many Hindus have converted to a meat eating diet.

Aum Namasivaya
    Don't forget the Moghuls.

Quote Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
    I eat meat, just not beef, and I'm Hindu.

I do have a bit of a problem with the idea that you must be a vegetarian in order to not kill to eat, because plants are living beings that can be killed, as well. Heck, certain life forms are killed every time we breathe and bathe. Killing is how we fight of diseases. Killing others is simply how we survive.

But I would say that in order to fully live in accordance with the yamas and niyamas, vegetarianism must be followed. Sure, absolute and total 100% ahimsa is impossible to follow because of what I said earlier, but the common person must do his absolute best to not cause harm to others, and that requires vegetarianism.
    I'm not surprised by your view. Most flesh-eaters have a problem with the idea of vegetarianism. The "plants are alive" counter-point is old and trite. Plants don't defend their young and run from danger. Sure, I hear rubbish about plants enjoying nice music and the like but in the end they are not sentient. Killing and destroying plants for no reason is himsa, but so is punching a wall. Eating plants is the best and easiest way to avoid killing sentient life.

You seem to advocate killing in your post as though being acceptable because it is the way of nature. You wouldn't want to be killed would you? Neither do chickens, pigs and other beasts of burden. You have the ability to WANT to live. So do all sentient animals. Plants do not have wants, desires, thoughts or any ideas about life and death.

When I hear people justify flesh eating I get a few thoughts in my head.

1) They enjoy it and are therefore attached to it. People justify all sorts of dumb stuff (drugs, alcohol, illicit sex, nuclear bombs) because doing so suits them. Stopping living for yourself and something as small as an appetite.

2) They just don't get mercy. People who deny vegetarianism are probably, even if unseen, very violent people. How else can one justify the murder and torture of animals. We aren't dumb, we know what happens to them. Angels don't come kiss them to death in their beds. These animals are ripped to pieces like fabric. Give me a break, there is no justification. This is the only thing in the world that makes me say "I'm right and you are wrong"

3) They don't understand Atman and that all animals are our brothers. They view animals as commodities, just like slave owners saw their slaves. Shame!

Please have mercy on all creatures. Please allow to live and let live. Please do not treat animals like machines. Please do not kill Gods beautiful creatures. Please stop putting yourself before other creatures. These lives aren't just animals, they are parents to other animals, they have family just like us. They aren't just animals, they are like us, someone with Atman.

Consider someone else, stop consuming animals!
    May the Supreme Spirit illumine us!

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam:

I still think, although it would be hard to verify, that British and European influence is one of the main reasons many Hindus have converted to a meat eating diet. The British ridiculed all aspects of our faith, including 'cow worship' etc. There is this really weird vibration and oxymoron I have seen regarding meat in some of my Indian and Sri Lankan friends. On one hand, they hide it, and feel so incredibly guilty, yet on the other hand, its like a physical addiction almost akin to tobacco. For some odd reason they have to live with this dichotomy of not being able to put into practice what they actually believe. Frankly, I don't understand it at all, or where it came from. Even on here we hear it. Almost like teenage revolt against the parent. Just do the opposite of what is suggested.

Any hints to better understanding of this phenomenon would be appreciated.

Aum Namasivaya
    Many Hindus are vegetarian for two or three days or even just one day of the week to make themselves feel good about themselves. Then on the other days they feast on meat like they have been fasting for months. I don't know if it's the taste of the meat or the feeling of deprivation they get when excluding meat. They have become codependent on meat consumption, they can't really part from it.

The clarity is required to discuss on this subject :

1. Whether we as Hindu support killing of animals ?

The answer is NO. And it is not limited to Hindus only.

2. Whether Vegeterianism is must to be a Hindu ?

Again the answer in NO. As SD is not ant exclusive philosophy.

The NV practice can slow down spiritual growth but does not mean he becomes devoid of SD knowledge.

Again by Manu's 56th line NV is not a sin.

So we need to bring in the clarity what we are discussing on.

Love and best wishes

do you have to be vegetarian to be hindu ?

The clear answer is no, there's no debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    Many Hindus are vegetarian for two or three days or even just one day of the week to make themselves feel good about themselves. Then on the other days they feast on meat like they have been fasting for months. I don't know if it's the taste of the meat or the feeling of deprivation they get when excluding meat. They have become codependent on meat consumption, they can't really part from it.
    Vannakkam Sahsranama: I don't know either. Here is an example. A temple is undergoing sort of a manager crisis. The current manager is on vacation sometimes for long periods, and a new one is needed to replace him. There is one fellow who by any standards would be excellent ... well organised, friendly, gets along with everyone etc. 95% the qualities a temple would want. One problem ... meat.

Back when I became vegetarian, (rural farming Alberta wasn't exactly veggie friendly, if even veggie aware, other than Mother's huge garden) it was an experiment for one month. I never looked back. So here's an imaginary conversation. Always a sheepish answer.

Can't you try it for a week? See what happens? .... No.
    Do you notice any difference physically when you eat meat? ... No.
    So what is it about flesh that is so enticing? ... I don't know?
    Are you aware that scriptures are against it? .... Yes
    I've been vegetarian for 40 years. Do I look unhealthy to you? ... No, you look very healthy.
    Why do you always seem to want to leave the temple early? ... I need my meat.
    How about fake meat? There's a new store right on the way home where you can buy Chinese fake meat. It tastes just like the real thing. Have you ever tried that? ... No.

So clearly its like someone came down and restructured the emotional side of the brain so powerfully that it overwhelms all logic.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information