Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: do you have to be vegetarian to be hindu ?

Re: do you have to be vegetarian to be hindu ?

Vannakkam: In a university class a long time ago, a professor of mine one day gave a fairly lengthy lecture on the premise that currently we are only supporting 3% of the population this planet could support.

Here are some of his ideas.

Meat, in terms of use of land, is grossly inefficient compared to lentil type crops. Example: most of the American midwest grows corn for cattle feed.

Distribution of food is ridiculous. Some food is shipped literally half way around the world when it could be grown locally or closer. Example: Here in western Canada we get 90% of the Indian style tropical vegetables and fruit from Fiji, which is 3 times the distance from Hawaii. Why? cheap labour

Much arable land is wasted on useless crops or crops for export when the locals could use it. Example: cane, bananas, chocolate, coffee, tea,

Much small land such as backyards, highway medians is put into grass, where vegetables could be grown. Just wasted land. A small backyard garden can supply a family with a lot of food.

Good farmland is being gobbled up for urban sprawl.

It is the kali yuga.

Aum Namasivaya

2. Cool Re: do you have to be vegetarian to be hindu ?

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    Perhaps you having rotting grain in your....
    This all is not because of any voiceless animal but because of anti Natural policy, India is one third of US land area, but have three times of the population, India have the most cows in the world, still India have less of this problem.

Killing animals and making fuel of foodgrains will not bring any solution, even biogas can be made from animal stool.

What will you do if your country have no animals? Instead of killing cows if US try to make Milk production rise it will still help.

I am also not blaming you.

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    I think this story would be pertinent to this conversation....
    This is what can a person do. Right nobody can do anything if they have nothing. But one thing reminds me it is about a letter by Vivekanand to his friend of one of the Indian Princes, (May be Maharaja of Khetri but I am not sure) It was just before He was leaving to Chicago, Vivekanand wrote that, It is better to eat Grass that to eat flesh.

One more thing, when Maharana Pratap lost the battle of Haldi Ghati, he and his family went to exile, there he and his family ate grass rotis.

I agree all this is human behaviour what they have to do. If good Vegitarian restaurents make their way, and production of foodgrains is not used as fuel than this problem can be solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam: In a university class a long time ago, a professor of mine one day gave a fairly lengthy lecture on the premise that currently we are only supporting 3% of the population this planet could support.

Here are some of his ideas.

Meat, in terms of use of land, is grossly inefficient compared to lentil type crops. Example: most of the American midwest grows corn for cattle feed.

Distribution of food is ridiculous. Some food is shipped literally half way around the world when it could be grown locally or closer. Example: Here in western Canada we get 90% of the Indian style tropical vegetables and fruit from Fiji, which is 3 times the distance from Hawaii. Why? cheap labour

Much arable land is wasted on useless crops or crops for export when the locals could use it. Example: cane, bananas, chocolate, coffee, tea,

Much small land such as backyards, highway medians is put into grass, where vegetables could be grown. Just wasted land. A small backyard garden can supply a family with a lot of food.

Good farmland is being gobbled up for urban sprawl.

It is the kali yuga.

Aum Namasivaya

But better do not grow BT/GM foods
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    This all is not because of any voiceless animal but because of anti Natural policy, India is one third of US land area, but have three times of the population, India have the most cows in the world, still India have less of this problem.

Since you obviously aren't aware of the reason for this or you wouldn't use this to counter my statement, I will explain. Cows here in this huge country are being fed almost exclusively grain.

"Grain: 99% of U.S. beef cattle are raised in concentrated animal-feeding operations (CAFOs) where liquefied manure systems and the methane released by the cows create more greenhouse-gas emissions than transportation."

http://www.expressmilwaukee.com/blog...-fed-beef.html

"Currently, more than 70 percent of the U.S. grain harvest -- and more than one third of the grain produced in the world -- is fed to cattle and other livestock."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agriculture

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    I am also not blaming you.

Blame me, blame every American...blame humanity.

I worked as a cow tender on a very small dairy farm. I lived in the farmhouse on this 200 acre farm and took care of these animals. I fed them grain, tended to their birthing...the bull on the farm followed me around like a puppy. It was so large, bulked up on hormones and special feed...it took a huge trailer to ship him around for stud service.

I think we must be comparing apples and genetically mutated apple-oranges here. I didn't suggest killing off cows to lower the population. What would happen if everyone stopped eating the beef just from one place such as McDonalds?

Cows would stop being killed...they would not be forced to calf every Spring. The methane would lower and our planet would be healthier. The surplus grain not used to feed cows would go to the world's hungry once again...and even though this might not solve everything...it's a start.

As far as feeding my children grass...when their bodies would eventually die from such a thing...no. I am not a prince...or a king. I am not wise like Vivekananda...not even a small bit like this being.

I am a lowly ignorant mother...and I wonder how many mothers would choose a fish or chicken over poisoning her own child with grass, which would surely kill them.

I would not be one of those mothers to choose grass. If I come back a thousand times for the trangression...I will never be.

The original question was "do you have to be vegetarian to be hindu ?". The answer is no.

There are evidences of meat eating from scripture. There are sacrifices which involve animals -- although the meat eating in such cases is far from revelry. Both Brahma Sutras and Manu Smriti indicate the meat eating is not sin. But Manu smriti clarifies that one gains punya on renunciating meat eating.

I understand that vegetarian eating involves killing too -- beginning with plant itself and then during cooking. Totally sinless eating would be fruit eating alone. Then, how can blame accrue to one for eating what is the norm in a cultural milieu where one is born? If such a person can give up meat eating that however would be considered good. I have met vegetable eating people who are otherwise very cruel to fellow men.

Moreover, it is also true that a person should not change his/her staple food drastically. For example, even in India, there is huge variation. East Indians can hardly digest the amount of pepper used in Rajasthan and Andhra Pradesh. Similarly, i cannot digest some pulses commonly used in south indian foods, such as Dosa and Idli. I develop severe flatulence and Gout.

My brother used to live in a hostel where he had only Idli and Dosa as food day and night. After about 4 months, he developed such a condition that he vomited just on seeing food. For two months he suffered before a doctor asked him "Are you on south indian food?" The Doctor said that some stomachs cannot digest south indian food on regular basis.

Withdrawal from meat eating does cause usual problems of some vitamin deficiency. What will happen to a lion or a tiger if such an animal is fed only grass? This example is just to give a contrast so that the logic is clear. On the other hand, it is also true that ancient sages might not have had any vitamin supplemet while living on fruit and milk diet.

One must respect the body and its needs and take it slow. But slowly turning to veg food is good for all, IMO.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 20 September 2010 at 04:32 AM. Reason: Thank you kallol. Corrected as per Sh. Kallol's observation
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    The original question was "do you have to be vegetarian to be hindu ?". The answer is no.

But slowly turning to non-veg food is good for all, IMO.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Hope you meant to say "But slowly turning to veg food is good for all, IMO."

Love and best wishes

Thread Information