Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Buddha and Shiva

Re: Buddha and Shiva

Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post
    Namaste,
    the most important things is, the ways Many Ancient Gurus use to teach.

Story like that is simbolism of mind.
    Not only in India, its also for Abrahamic religion
    but sadly , that kind of theory become a one "reason" to hate each others!
    Namaste Shian

I agree. Yet, in the story (myth) Matam Rudra saying "I am Ishwara, Shiva, Mahadeva", might not be present in the original text? You may enlighten us.

It is easy to see the effect of Matam Rudra, which is ego. But it is not easy and probably not correct to associate matam Rudra with Ishwara-Shiva. (Shiva by meaning is auspicious and Siva also means the Red-the Rajas, which is the agony of existence -- no doubt). There is need to distinguish between the all pervading Auspicious being called Existence-Intelligence-Bliss and the Rajasic effect of that all pervading Auspicious .

For us, Ishwara, Shiva, Mahadeva is not different from Atman, which is unborn consciousness and which is the source and refuge of the consciousness and Mind --same as Buddha and Pragnya.

Like you, I see only the same. But i try to understand when i see some efforts that appear to me to be the product of fragmented minds trying to create differences.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Nilakanthalokesvara Dharani (Taisho Tripitaka Chinesse No 1111)

namo ratnatrayāya
    nama āryāvalokiteśvarāya bodhisattvāya mahāsattvāya mahākāruṇikāya
    oṁ sarvabhayaśodhanāya tasya namaskṛtvā imu āryāvalokiteśvara tava
    namo nīlakaṇṭha hṛdayaṁ vartayisyāmi sarvārthasādhanaṁ śubham ajeyaṁ
    sarvabhūtānāṁ bhavamārgaviśodhakam
    tadyathā oṁ ālokādhipati lokātikrānta
    ehi mahābodhisattva sarpa sarpa smara smara hṛdayam
    kuru kuru karma
    dhuru dhuru vijayate mahāvijayate
    dhara dhara dhāraṇīrāja cala cala mama vimalāmūrtte
    ehi ehi
    cinda cinda
    araspracali
    vaśavaśam pranāśaya
    hulu hulu smara hulu hulu
    sara sara siri siri suru suru
    bodhiya bodhiya bodhaya bodhaya
    maitriya nīlakaṇṭha dehi me darśanam
    praharāyamānāya svāhā
    siddhāya svāhā
    mahāsiddhāya svāhā
    siddhayogiśvarāya svāhā
    nīlakaṇṭhāya svāhā
    varāhamukhāya svāhā
    narasiṁhamukhāya svāhā
    gadāhastāya svāhā
    cakrahastāya svāhā
    padmahastāya svāhā
    nīlakaṇṭhapāndarāya svāhā
    mahātali śankarāya svāhā
    namo ratnatrayāya svāhā
    oṁ siddhyantu mantrapadāya svāhā
    nama āryāvalokiteśvarāya bodhisattvāya

hear the song from :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiAT07i_lus

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

《入大乘論》中提到「(十地法雲地菩薩)能令一切無礙自在作摩醯首羅天子,亦爲一切世間依止。‧‧‧,受一切種智位。」

let i translate this text :

(Sastra For Entering Mahayana) ~ Rudachenglun
    Dasabhumi Bodhisattva is called Dharmamegha , can make all free from obstacles, become Mahamahesvara Devaputra.
    and also become saranam (refuge) of sarvaloka (all of entire universe)... get position of all of Jnana !"

《十住經》也提到「大自在天光明勝一切眾生。」
    Sutra of Bodhisattva Ten (住 - stay) also said :
    The light of Mahamahesvara Deva is beyond all beings.

《大方廣佛華嚴經》也同時提到了「一切光明」及「遍一切智」的記載:
    「譬如摩醯首羅天王光明,能令眾生身心清涼,一切光明所不能及,此地(第十法雲地)菩薩智慧光明亦復如是,能令眾生皆得清涼,乃至住於一切智智。一切聲 聞、辟支佛,乃至第九地菩薩智慧光明悉不能及。‧‧‧,諸佛世尊復更為說三世智,法界差別智,遍一切世界智,照一切世界智,慈念一切眾生智。舉要言之,乃 至為說得一切智智。‧‧‧,菩薩住此地,多作摩醯首羅天王。‧‧‧,乃至不離念具足一切種一切智智。」

Avatamsaka Sutra :
    Like a light of Mahmahesvara Devaraja is can give refreshing for all beings heart. All of light is cannot emulating (Mahamahesvara's) light. The Wisdom Light of Dharmamegha Bodhisattva (Dasabhumi Bodhisattva) is also like this (like Mahamhaesvara light), can give refreshing for all beings heart, also stay in sarvajnana (all of great wisdom).

Sarva SRAVAKA, PRATYEKA BUDDHA and NINE BHUMI BODHISATTVA like is cannot emulating !

many Bodhisattvas wo stay in Ten Bhumi is take a form of Mahamahesvara Devaraja. Not different from sarvajnana!

在《俱舍光記》第七卷中更直接提到:「大自在天總有千名,今現行世唯有六十。‧‧‧,自在出過三界有三身:一、法身,遍充法界。二、受用身,居住色界上自在天宮,即佛法中說摩醯首羅天,三目八臂,身長萬六千逾繕那 。三、化身,隨行六道種種教化。」

(俱舍光記 - Jusheguangji) 7 :
    Mahesvara Deva have thousand names, now who appear in world is only 16.
    He have Trikayas who is selfmastery beyond Triloka !
    1. is Dharmakaya, full in Dharmadhatu
    2. Sambhogakaya . who stay in rupadhatu svarga in Kingdom of Isvara. is Mahesvara Deva , with three eyes, eight arms, tall is 16000 yojanas, he appear in many forms in sadgati (six realm / samsara) to teachings different kind of beings.

the Buddhist ancient text who talk about Mahesvara not only this, have many many...
    i will translate one by one if imposibblle.

So this is why i cant unerstand how come Mahesvara is rejecting by Buddhist???

even Buddhist text is not said He is demigods, Buddhist text said He is in level of Buddha !

Mahesvara appaear in some deitys foot is because in Buddhist Mahesvara is Mahabodhisattva who have special ways to teach all beings.

My Guru said, Mahamara Devaputra is have GREAT Maha Bodhicitta, because He become mara to teach beings what way to recognize inner mara (devil who appear by delution of oneself) and subjugate this inner mara.

Without external mara, how come peoples will know the greatest mara is in his self.

I think Shiva is very very benevolent, He no need place who worshiped as great clean etc. He even can take His body in a foot to teach beings.

He appear in yaksha form (i have one Sutra from canon who said Shiva is Buddha who have Great Mercy and for teach beings He appear in form of Yaksha, who lead many devils) and dancing in crematory (who peoples see that is the dirty place) , see how Daksa hate Shiva appeerance.

But why Shiva take this form ?
    because His compassion to beroken all delution and dualism attachment.

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

mcshantihank Guest

but have you ever been pondering upon this: jesus and buddha are very similar. jesus is called messiah and some people say that messiah comes from the sanskrit word maitreya. the next buddha in buddhism be called maitreya. in china and japan they have a being called budai and he is said to be maitreya's incarnation. jesus did many things that shakyamuni buddha did.
    maybe all religions are just one. wee learn about inter-religious peace
    we must experience oneness. just understand that all the buddhas carry name of different vedic rishis. and both shiva and buddha are pictured in meditation posture.

this is what a buddhist told me:
    As I am not a student of ancient languages, I can only guess that the Buddha, like anyone else, would speak within the culture of the language that he was speaking. Most of his time after englightenment, the Buddha was travelling with the ancient kingdom of Magadha and spoke the language called Magadhi, which later is commonly called Pali, which was used to write the first suttas. In ancient India (like most other old civilizations), the educated class who could read and write were the priests and religious people. and hence terminology from the Vedi language was commonly used then.

We usually call Gautama Buddha as "the Buddha" as he was the most recent Buddha to come to this world. However, in religious discussions involving other Buddhas, then we use the descriptive such as "Gautama Buddha" or "Sakyamuni Buddha", etc, to differentiate from the others.

May you be well and happy,

Reverend Heng Yuen
    www.dharmabliss.org

Thread Information