Thread: Namaste and Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!

Hybrid View

Smile Namaste and Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!

Hello everyone,

My name is Rasa, I am an American-born who took initiation from Srila Prabhupada in 1976 at a young age. I currently live near Charlotte, NC and was away from ISKCON for about 20 years.

I am very glad to discover this place as I have always been fascinated by Hinduism in general since I was 14. Currently I am finding a little sanga. There is the Hindu Center in Charlotte and there are Hare Krishna home programs as well, every couple of weeks or so.

I like to read and discuss Srila Prabhupada's books. My memory is not that great that I can hold discourses on them though. Some complain his books have faults, but if you read them enough these "faults" are like spots on the sun that in time are overwhelmed. Under the influence of time we forget all these things.

Re: Namaste and Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!

Welcome to HDF and it is very nice to know someone who got initiation from SP. If you can describe your initiation experience with SP in Hare Krshna forum in this HDF, i will be more pleased to know.

Hare Krshna!

Thanks, Grames. Unfortunately there isn't exactly a "Prabhupada story" to go along with my initiation, so I'll post it here. I was one of a small number of absentee initiates who recieved diksa in Vrindavana in April '76. At the time I was distributing books and magazines in Memphis, Tennessee.

After all the devotees came back from India that year, I met Adi Kesava (then Swami) in the lobby of the Manhattan temple who gave me the mala that Prabhupada chanted on and told my new name.

Later, around July/August of that year, I participated in the initiation fire yajna in Detroit temple with Srila Prabhupada present. Srila Prabhupada gave Srimad-Bhagavatam class on the 6th canto, story of Ajamila, and that was the only time I ever saw Srila Prabhupada.

Things could get a little wild back then. But isn't Krishna wild too?

Dear,

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1976 View Post
    I participated in the initiation fire yajna in Detroit temple with Srila Prabhupada present. Srila Prabhupada gave Srimad-Bhagavatam class on the 6th canto, story of Ajamila, and that was the only time I ever saw Srila Prabhupada.
    You are blessed and you are indeed very much blessed. Even if it is once, it is your fortune and i am sure you keep that personal meeting in your memory and soul.

Please share the "wild" things that was happening those times and give us an opportunity to get a glimpse of how it was.

Hari Bol!

Om Namo Bhagavate VAsudevAya
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Smile Re: Namaste and Om Namo Bhagavate Vasudevaya!

Quote Originally Posted by Rasa1976 View Post
    Hello everyone,

My name is Rasa, I am an American-born who took initiation from Srila Prabhupada in 1976 at a young age. I currently live near Charlotte, NC and was away from ISKCON for about 20 years.

I am very glad to discover this place as I have always been fascinated by Hinduism in general since I was 14. Currently I am finding a little sanga. There is the Hindu Center in Charlotte and there are Hare Krishna home programs as well, every couple of weeks or so.

I like to read and discuss Srila Prabhupada's books. My memory is not that great that I can hold discourses on them though. Some complain his books have faults, but if you read them enough these "faults" are like spots on the sun that in time are overwhelmed. Under the influence of time we forget all these things.
    Swagatam Rasa,
    I extend a hearty welcome to you at Hindu Dharma Forums. There is something for everyone here. I am more of a Smartist and non-dualist than a Vaishnavite, but that is the beauty of Hinduism - people with many different philosophies fall under its umbrella. This forum gives us a chance to learn about one another and to debunk misconceptions. I am sure that you will find the conversations engaging.
    Last edited by devisarada; 21 April 2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: changed mind.

Pranam,

Devi

Thread Information