Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: An idea...

An idea...

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Many times on this forum we talk of cows and ahiṁsā (non-injury, some call this non-violence). Yet what do we do? In hopes we change a mind and advance the idea. I think we may have an opportunity to do more.

Perhaps we can do this, and we need the help of some of our HDF members in India. What if we as HDF members purchase a cow and give it to family to take care of. That is, a family that would treasure this cow and treat it appropriately. In return the cow gives milk ( and hence ghee) to the family.

We at HDF pay for the cow , send the money to India to one of our esteemed HDF members. They in turn select the cow and the family that the go ( cow ) will be given to.

Here is what we need:
    • co-operation from our esteemed members in India
    • financal support from our HDF members
    • understanding the costs and dividing up the cost to those that are interested
    • followup to see if this plan is worthy of merit and if it sould be repeated again.
    I will be happy to make the first donation amount. I will need help though from my Indian counter-parts on how to carry this satvic action to a successful conclusion.

What are your thoughts and who wishes to help?

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: An idea...

Vannakkam:

Count me in. I have cowma with cows. This might be some nice way to work it out.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste Yajvanji

A very noble idea. I see your point too, but is it not better to help the cow protection farms that are already doing this but really need help to keep going ?

A very ambitious farm-organization , which you may be aware of, that does this and more : trade-in milk-cows for dry cows, set up villages (nagar) with farmers and gopa families, a temple for their education etc. :
    Gorakshyam Trust, Tamil Nadu, India
    This is PROJECT SAVE THE COW SAVE THE WORLD. They want people to adopt a cow, or work as gopa families for them.

For interested readers , Other Cow Protection Organizations

Care For Cows, VrndAvan
    ISCOWP

www.newtalavana.org
    www.gitanagari.org
    www.firstgiving.com/mghosh
    www.savethecow.wordpress.com

Cow Protection is hard tough work.

Appearantly the easiest way to help these farms financially is to

1. ADOPT A COW. The cow stays on the farm, the person pays for maintenance.

2. Offsetting - pay the amount of the urban grocery bill to the farm.

3. For people geographically close to the farm , buy produce , milk products from the farm

4. Spread vegetarianism

5. Bring donors

praNAm
    Jai Shri KRshNa
    Last edited by smaranam; 25 April 2010 at 07:04 PM.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté smaranam

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    Namaste Yajvanji

A very noble idea. I see your point too, but is it not better to help the cow protection farms that are already doing this but really need help to keep going ?
    A better way is always appreciated. Maybe we can do both? I was thinking of helping the family ( too ) that would receive the cow - they benefit from the milk products. We can do it as a group of HDF and this will keep one's ego checked at the door. And, this offers HDF something tangible to do and to offer.
    I am open to all ideas that will perpetuate good (sattva). And I will look at these organizations posted.
    Thank you,

praṇām
    Last edited by yajvan; 25 April 2010 at 07:55 PM.
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Namaste

Actually , i didn't mean to put it that way. Its not a better way, in fact Gorakshyam Trust does and needs exactly what you have proposed

They help a family, a farmer family in the process and also conduct Gita sessions and other community activities for the rural region there.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

namaskar,

This is an excellent idea. Though we will have to sort out the logistics, I think it is workable. The idea has my full support.

Like smaranam pointed out there are already many organizations that try to protect cows. I believe there at least a couple or more in vrindavan.

Personally, I would do the direct thing without going through an organization.
    satay

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Is there any of our HDF friends in India that can assist us here?

praṇām
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Vannakkam:

If no one from India comes forward, it would be sad, but I'm guessing many aren't in that circumstance directly. We may have to find someone via one of our own family members or friends. Farmers are a poor lot I believe, and there may be a disconnect between them and those who own or have access to computers. But the idea is so noble it has merit. I am against sending to an organisation, as this way will decrease the overhead.

Aum Namasivaya

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté EM,

There is an obligation to care for the cow no doubt - room, feed, milking and the like, so perhaps this is top of mind for many.

I have started asking a few folks in India. I also have contacted a local farm here in the USA to see what is possible. I just recently contacted the pīṭham in kanchipurim and asked for their recommendation.

praām
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si

_

Namaste Yajvan ji,

After completion of my assignment, I have come back to India .... so the appeal applies to me too. However, I am unable to understand what we are trying to do with this idea.

i) Who are we trying to help ? The cow or a poor family ?
    ii) There are people who keep cows in Cities but they are business people, who don't need our help. They do it like dairy farms. I don't think we want to help them.
    iii) Let's understand that keeping a cow is virtually impossible for a poor man in cities. Where will he keep her and what will he feed her ? In fact, we should not encourage poor people to keep a cow in cities. As there is a lack of place even for human beings in their small houses they are able to afford, the poor man will be forced to keep the cow in highly unhygienic conditions. Do we want to do this .... and be a part of this torture being meted out to the cow ?
    iv) There are gaushaalas (Cow Farms) run by trusts in cities .... but those are for abondoned cows. The original idea doesn't speak about that.
    v) So, this idea can be implemented only in villages. Villages don't have internet facility. So, none of the members here is expected to be in a village.
    vi) If one agrees to do this, he has to go to his village .... find a suitable poor family who needs help .... go to cattle fair .... & buy a suitable cow for the family. The family must be willing to own a cow and take care of it ... he should not sell it for a profit.

----------------------------------

Actually, this help is not extending help to the cow. It is more of a help to a poor family. So, why pitching for helping with a cow only ? Please don't think that we are helping the cow in this way. No. The cows if they are healthy and young have no dearth of good buyers in India who are interested in cow rearing. So, the cow that we want to gift to a family for milk etc. doesn't need our help at all. Yes, a poor family can be helped this way ... but are we sure this is the best way to help a family ? Cow is the most worshipped animal in India ... and there is no dearth of people coming to help cows .... I think many unfortunate humans need a little more care & support than the cows.

There are many old and abandoned cows which need support from sympathetic people .... but that needs special expertise in management of such farms. Only money won't do. So, if we are interested in helping those cows, we can donate to those organisations.

Please forgive me .... my post may look outrageous to some .... but I thought it better to share my concern.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information