Thread: Meditation and Concentration

Threaded View

Re: David Godman explains enquiry

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    Hari Om
    ~~~~~~
    Namste atanu,
    Yes, agreed...ultimately SELF has all, prana + all the senses. Yet my point was, if one contols prana and befriends prana, all else follows e.g. the mind. Yet I see your point.

Now, one place I will need your POV is A+ha+m. I do not see this as mind. I see this as pure SELF, pure I.

----
    Control of Prana is a recommended practice since Prana is the vehicle of mind. However, mind is the owner of the vehicle. The whole evolution as per Lord Shiva (from Yoga Vashista) is as below:

From Yoga Vashista

-----Jiva is the vehicle of Consciousness (God), ego sense is the vehicle of jiva, intelligence of ego sense, mind of intelligence, prana of the mind, the senses of the prana, the body of the senses and motion is the vehicle of the body. Such motion is karma. Because prana is the vehicle for the mind, where the prana takes it the mind goes; but when the mind is merged in the spiritual heart, prana does not move; and if the prana does not move, the mind attains a quiescent state. Where the prana goes the mind follows it. even as the rider goes where the vehicle goes .
    ---------------------------------

Ignorance of the fact that the Jiva is the Lord of the body makes the Jiva become a servant and follow the vehicles. Similarly mind often loses control to prana.

As in a later paragraph Lord explains:

When the mind is divested of its support, it remains alone in the self.

----------------------------
    Further

The reflection of consciousness within itself is known as puryastaka. Mind alone is puryastaka, though others have described it more elaborately (as composed of the five elements, the inner instrument - mind, buddhi, egosense and citta - prana, the organs of action, the senses, ignorance! desire, and karma or action). It is also known as the linga-sarira, the subtle body. Since all these arise in consciousness, exist in consciousness and dissolve in consciousness, that consciousness alone is the reality.

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 23 October 2007 at 12:54 PM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thread Information