Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SAttvic AhAr : Indian Cuisine Basics

SAttvic AhAr : Indian Cuisine Basics

Namaste

Observation tells that, many people new to Hinduism or even simply to Vegetarianism find Indian Cuisine appealing or want to learn more about it.

Let's make this thread about the basics. Since we started a recipe sharing thread with ad-hoc quick-start recipes, a new thread was necessary.

While keeping in mind that India is a rainbow of cultures, languages, traditions, so also, cuisines. At the same time , similar to the unity of everything Indian, the AhAr, diet also has a common base. The Indian names are going to be in the national language - Hindi.

What do you think you are doing, smaranam, writing a cookbook ?!
    The truth is , i don't know anything beyond the basics. So , NO. That's a promise.

A Whole Meal - a full course of lunch or dinner

Rice - plain or pulAv types
    bread - roti/chapAti/occasionally - puri , bhaturA
    daal - tur, mung, channA, masoor, urad... , also includes any legume/bean curry : in a bowl
    sabji - vegetable - sautéed, steamed, usually thick, in the plate
    kachumbar / koshimbir - raw salad with or without yogurt. Yogurt based salad is called rAitA

Optional but welcome, and part of a traditional or special / festive meal :
    kheer or any sweet dish served traditionally in the plate or later as dessert.
    pickle
    pakorA and/or pApad - fried snack

Salt is also served at top of plate, and positions of sweet and savoury items is also fixed.
    ---------------

If that was too scary, there are one pot one-dish meals like khichadi : here

-------------

Some Basic Spices used : DRY
    hing - asofoetida - used as a pinch for tempering , for offsetting effervescence of lentils, and vegetables
    mustard seeds
    dhaniA - corriander seeds - whole , but usually ground
    jeerA - cumin seeds - usually whole , sometimes ground
    haldI - turmeric - its a root, but mostly used as dried , powdered.
    red chilly powder

The simplest meal will use only these first few spices.

laung - cloves
    black peppercorns
    dAlchini - cinnamon
    elaichi - cardamom - whole pods or ground seeds
    garam masAla - a prepared spice mix found in stores
    methi dAnA - fenugreek seeds (you will find these in sambAr masAlA)
    anAr dAnA - pomgranate seeds (found typically in channa/chhole masAlA)
    saunf - dilseed
    keshar - saffron
    gulAb pAni - rose essence

For those more adventurous , there is 'dagad fUl' , star anise and what not....

WET spices and garnishes :
    *** kadhi pattA - curry leaves ***
    harA dhaniA - corriander leaves
    lemon, ginger, onion, garlic, grated coconut, red or green chillies

More Later ...

Om Namo Bhagavate VAsudevAya
    praNAm
    Last edited by smaranam; 29 April 2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: sattva, simple
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

Re: SAttvic AhAr : Indian Cuisine Basics

Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post

Observation tells that, many people new to Hinduism or even simply to Vegetarianism find Indian Cuisine appealing or want to learn more about it.
    They are right ! Indian Cuisine is really one of the best well balanced vegetarian diets, wholesome and balancing to the senses and mind -
    praNAm
    Vannakam smaranam: Depending on locality, I may or may not disagree. I would need more details.

1) White rice, especially an overabundance of is simple nowhere near as healthy as some might think. Ohter grain, including whole grain brown,millet, amaranth, and quinoa can and should be substituted.

2) The more sugar is studied, the closer it becomes akin to poison, like tobacco, or alcohol. Obesity is a major health concerm The significant rise of diabetes is proof

3) Over abundance of oil, especially deep fried stuff, isn't healthy

4) Over abundance of salt is unhealthy

So I agree with the statement just as long as my four points are taken into consideration. Even without that, it is still healthier than the average American diet where meat is considered healthy, pop is considered juice, and deep fried french fries are considered a vegetable.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakam Eastern Mind

Your post is a wonderful summary of a warning, and a must for this thread

I completely agree. Since none of these 4 points are a part of my lifestyle i tend to forget what it can be like.

Also, that was the very idea of this 'basics' thread, so that people do not start out on the wrong foot with festive menus of puris , pulav and pakoras on the internet.

White rice , we do eat , and pasta, but i try to use wheat bulgar , whole wheat, and in rare cases - barley/millet. Have to try quinoa.

Deep frying and use of coconut : frequency zero, although fried snacks from stores are bad. I have a small kadhai lying around, which is hardly ever used.

Sweets : mostly fruit. I thought sweets on a regular basis were supposed to be "for kids only" . As it is , do children stop eating cookies ,cakes or candy because we tell them to ? Otherwise that would be a question of frequency of desserts - same as in any other cuisine.

Indian Food can be definitely quite rAjasic, but there is a lot of scope for sattva. It can be either misused, or turned healthy - just as any other. Mediterranean and other diets are quite healthful, and there are many good things in healthy American diet.

In Goa , the south-west coast , and south, rice and coconut seems the staple. Those who grew up with it seem to be OK, may be they are used to it and other good things in the diet offsets the bad. Coconut is supposed to help with Ph Balancing, acid-base, and perhaps that takes care of some of its vices.

In the north its heavy cream - malai, paneer and deep frying, however whole wheat is a staple.

I don't see people deep frying and eating mithAi everyday in today's world. It probably worked/works when a lot of physical work was/is required - before inventions were made.

Also, some people who say they like Indian Food, do so based on the tasty but not-always healthy restaurant food.

praNAm

Vannakam Smaranam:

I'm really glad you agree. We have no white rice in the house as well as no refined sugar. We do use some in things like kesari, but its brown only. We also use honey, but not a lot. We never deep fry, and keep salt to a minimum. I just wanted to point out that some people like to portray the diet as healthy when in actuality it isn't. But everything in moderation. I eat white rice at Tamil homes or at weddings etc.

Nandri

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste

Before proceeding to sabji...

The purpose of this thread is sAttvic AhAr. It is really meant to show the basic preparation of sabjis and daals, without getting into details of various recipes.

It is the sabjis - veggies , and daals (pulses, lentils, legumes) that make the Indian diet full of variety and yet enable a healthy, tasty and sattvic diet at the same time.
    Its upto us to make it sAttvic.

Deep frying, and too much of refined flour, rice, sugar, salt,pickle or spices - is all rAjasic. So it will not be on this thread. Every cuisine or diet will have rAjasic elements because everyone is not a yogi. A yogi's diet will not look like a wedding feast or a restaurant menu. This applies to all cuisines.

A simple Indian dinner to me, looks like this : Whole wheat chapAtis or bread, small-to-moderate rice, daal or bean curry , saute-steamed veggies, lots of fruit and raw salad or raita.

-----

Mothers all over the world have used home-made sweets to trick children into fruits and veggies.
    Home-made sweets (using jaggery - guD , brown or turbinado sugar, no sugar syrup or deep frying)
    are far better than frosted baked goods, candy or heavily syrupy sweets from the stores, that kids eat.
    Many of them contain chemicals, animal fat, eggs and are tAmasic.

praNAm

Smaranam:

My chapattis are improving with time. I think its the gluten in the whole wheat. I go for maybe 20% some other flour like millet or channa along with it, but it has to be mostly whole wheat. Than I just put about a tablespoon of garam masala, sometimes some cayenne, depending on mood, in with the 3 to 4 cups of ww flour. It makes 15 to 20. Course mine aren't perfectly round, because I'm not all that practised up.

But it gets rid of the yeast bit.

Aum Namasivaya

NAmaste Eastern Mind

I am sure you are an expert, and have mastered chapatis ! Round chapatis are not hard. My son would ask me to make Antarctica, then Alaska, India .... that was tough to do at will.

Millet is Bajri. I got a packet a few months ago - there were no eaters of course - except me.

My grandmother used to make bhakri of bAjri/bAjra - the patted flat bread (not rolled) , from different flours. Bhakri can be challenging due to no gluten. It cannot be rolled , has to be patted with water.

Perhaps you must have used the reddish flour too - its called nAchaNi (in Marathi) or rAgi ( Hindi/Gujrathi). Its supposed to be very nutritous. It seems rAgi and quinoa go well. If the dough is turned into batter , it can make dosa-like pancakes too.

Another 'masala' bhAkri with besan and other flours is called ThAlipeeth. Patted, not rolled, greased with oil and baked on hot griddle/pan. Besan + wheat is missi roti.

Thank You for making a round up of the different breads. So relevant on this thread.

Hope you will share a recipe here.

praNAm

Namaste

Simple Basic recipe for Vegetable Dishes - sabji

Sabji - vegetable , prepared, is eaten with rice and daals - legume/lentil or chapAti/roti - bread. If not very spicy, wonderful just by itself.

Green Beans Sabji

Ingredients

4 cups long green beans - roughly
    1 medium tomato
    2 T oil
    1/4 t hing (asofoetida)
    1/2 t mustard seeds
    1 t corriander powder - dhania
    1t cumin seeds - jeera (or less , not everyone likes it. jeera helps digest food )
    5-7 curry leaves (but don't worry if not available)
    1/2 t turmeric
    1/2 t red chilly powder
    1/2 t garam masala
    1 t salt
    1 t sugar (or jaggery - make sure it doesn't burn)
    1 cup water
    grated coconut for garnish

Method

>>Clean and chop the green beans as prefered - either 1/2 " or 5 mm , discarding both ends
    >>chop/dice the tomato
    >>Heat oil in a pan
    >>add hing, mustard seeds
    >>When mustard seeds crackle (in a few seconds) , add corriander powder , cumin seeds, curry leaves
    Let cumin seeds pop - few seconds

At this point , our tempering is ready. Called 'tadkA' in hindi.

>>Add tomato , saute for a minute - to soften
    >>add the green beans, toss and saute'
    >>Add turmeric, chilly powder, garam masala , optionally sprinkle crushed black pepper, salt, sugar
    >>Toss, mix, add enough water - say 2/3 cup - for the beans
    >>Cover to steam on *medium-low heat*
    >>Check after 8-10 minutes or so, if more water is required, add enough so vegetables do not stick to the pot.
    >>Cook till beans are tender - cutting with the cooking spoon or a fork to check.
    >>Garnish with grated coconut

Total time : 25-30 mins
    cooking time : 15-20 mins
    Serve with chapati/roti/tortilla or rice and daal or toss with pasta/spagetti.
    serves : 6 - varies

-

Variations : Add thin pieces of a medium potato before adding the beans. Both beans and potato have to be tender, yet not overcooked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This recipe can be used for the following vegetables, but with slightly different ingredients and method. Cooking time will also change. One may want to try replacing garam masala with chhole, pav-bhaji, channa, sambaar masalas , later on

1. okra - bhindi : squeeze some lemon juice or 1/2 t amchur powder , to remove the sticky substance of okra. Keep stirring for long, add as little water as possible.

----------------------------

2. Cabbage, Pumpkin and gourds : Without the tomato, but with lentils - and mustard seeds a must,

This process may be used for cabbage, pumpkin , bottle gourd - dudhi bhopla , long snake gourd - padwal , tondla - small 2 inch gourds - green.

>>In place of tomato add chana daal , dalia or urad daal instead, as follows :
    >>for the gourds and pumpkins , Add 2 Tbsp washed & soaked dalia or channa daal after the tempering (tadkA) , saute to light color, before adding the vegetable
    >>for cabbage, use 2 Tbsp washed urad daal instead (creamy white)
    >>If the lentil is soaked before cutting vegetables, that's ample time.

--------------------------------------

3. Cauliflower and eggplant :

>> Tempering done without mustard seeds and curry leaves. >>Garnish with chopped corriander leaves instead of coconut. Add corriander leaves a few minutes before turning heat off - for food safety.

Peas with Cauliflower : Gobhi-matar : Add 1 cup green peas to tempering and cook till partially tender : 5 min before adding cauliflower florets

Eggplant :
    >> Cut into 1" cube and add to a vessel of water for a few minutes to remove strong taste. Rinse off the dark purple water.
    >>Eggplant is cooked to a near mashed texture , and a large or a lot of tomato is used - then it can qualify as baingan bharta'.

-------------------------------------------------

4. Leafy Greens : >> Tempering without mustard seeds , curry leaves, corriander leaves ,
    >> Also, no coconut and tomatoes,
    >> With corn kernels or potato cubes instead :

>>1 cup corn kernels or potato cubed
    >>1 bunch any leafy green vegetable - chopped : - spinach - pAlak, Swiss Chard , rAjgirA , methi

>>Add the corn or potato to the tempering (tadka) of hing, corriander powder , cumin
    >>Saute', add some water and cover , to partially cook of low heat while taking the time to chop the leafy green vegetable.
    >>Add chopped spinach, rest of the spices, mix , add just enough water to cook , but should not result in a soup.

*** For methi, owing to its bitter taste, add plenty of guD - jaggery instead of 1 t sugar.

Jaggery may be used instead of sugar for eggplant, guvar, methi.

Om Namo Bhagavate VAsudevAya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakam smaranam: Depending on locality, I may or may not disagree. I would need more details.

1) White rice, especially an overabundance of is simple nowhere near as healthy as some might think. Ohter grain, including whole grain brown,millet, amaranth, and quinoa can and should be substituted.

2) The more sugar is studied, the closer it becomes akin to poison, like tobacco, or alcohol. Obesity is a major health concerm The significant rise of diabetes is proof

3) Over abundance of oil, especially deep fried stuff, isn't healthy

4) Over abundance of salt is unhealthy

So I agree with the statement just as long as my four points are taken into consideration. Even without that, it is still healthier than the average American diet where meat is considered healthy, pop is considered juice, and deep fried french fries are considered a vegetable.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste,

I must respectfully disagree with you about the oil part. I agree that an over abundance of oil is unhealthy, as an overabundance of anything (even water) is, but the context implies that deep frying, or similarly oiled food, is an overabundance, and I do not believe this to be true based on the research I have done.

If one is not eating very much refined carbohydrates (sugars, starches), it is okay to ingest lots of oil, even beneficial, especially oils like coconut oil which India is blessed to have in relative abundance (#3 producer.) Ghee is also very good!

It is the combination of lots of fat with lots of carbohydrates, especially processed carbohydrates - as you yourself stated - that is the problem.

It is my belief that the next frontier of food science will be developing markets and methods for extracting vegetable proteins to imitate meat, or if not in imitation, to provide alternative high-protein foods. Right now, it is really only soy and wheat that this is being done with (and both have major health complications), despite many other plants readily suitable for this.

Sorry...I got off topic a bit.

Vannakkam Avazjan:

I won't get into an argument over what you say. There is an active ongoing debate on the subject in the scientific community. I'll leave it to them to figure it out or not, as I am no expert. I'm mostly going by my gut (Pun intended) over deep fried food. I can tolerate a bit of it occasionally but not constantly as it is in some Indian diets. This link provides an explanation.

http://www.keepwell.com/frying.htm

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information