Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SAttvic AhAr : Indian Cuisine Basics

Re: SAttvic AhAr : Indian Cuisine Basics

Om Namo Bhagavate VAsudevAya

Legumes and Lentils

Lentils (pulses) : tuvar (toor daal) , mung daal, urad daal (used in idli-dosa-uttappa), masoor daal, vaal (a creamy bean), split peas - green or yellow

Legumes:

sprouted: whole green mung, whole masoor (lentils), matki (brown cover, creamy inside)

soaked but not sprouted: black-eye peas, chick-peas - garbanzo beans, , red kidney beans or rAjmA, white or yellow peas, black beans
    (These beans can be used dry or canned)

What do they look like : http://www.mannaharvest.net/index.ph...d-legumes.html

Why sprout ? To make the protein and carb more digestable, to optimize the dormant nutrition in the legume.

**** Favya beans are used to make gluten-free flour.

Basic tools and techniques with least accessories - next post.

praNAm
    Last edited by smaranam; 09 June 2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Removed Show-me-the-curry : They use onions and garlic ! Not on this thread please.
    || Shri KRshNArpaNamastu ||

You all are making me hungry.

Just saying. Carry on.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Basic Tuvar / toor daal

Boil rinsed tuvar daal in a tall pot using water three times that of the lentils (or use the pressure cooker with 1.5 times water) WITH the following

- a dash of hing (asofoetida)
    - enough salt

Daal is cooked when the lentils can be mashed and dissolved easily. If the circles are firm in the centre, it is undercooked. Do not overcook or undercook.

Mash the cooked tuvar daal and use it for following dishes:

1. Plain daal , sweet, no tempering: Add crushed jaggery (or brown sugar) and termeric - 1/2 t for four cups cooked. Add enough water to make consistency of a moderately thin soup, and simmer till it just boils.

Garnish with ghee / vegan shortening. Serve (laddle) over rice or with chapatis/rotis and vegetables.

I would say plain rice with plain daal and ghee is BhagvAn's favorite.

2. Tempered daal

- Heat 2T oil,
    - Add hing, 1/2 t mustard seeds, 6-7 curry leaves, optionally a chilly ,
    - When it crackles, add chopped tomato.
    - Pour over simmering plain daal from (1.) above OR Add the plain daal to the tempering if the pan is big enough.
    - Add chopped corriander leaves .
    - Simmer for a few minutes, turn off heat.

3. Methi / PAlak - daal - "Methi VaraN"

Heat 2 T oil, add hing, 1 or 2 cups chopped methi leaves (fenugreek leaves) or chopped spinach leaves.

Add corriander-cumin powders, turmeric (1/2 t) , enough jaggery/brown sugar to offset the bitterness of methi (a little less needed for spinach or chard).

Saute/steam till the vegetable is tender and add the cooked mashed daal. Add water for soup consistency , stir, simmer.

4. Sambar (south indian - goes with rice, idli, vada, dosa - and we have to find Saidevoji's thread for this, but in the meanwhile...)

- Heat 2 T Oil,
    - Add a dash of hing
    - Add cumin seeds
    - Add washed, soaked, cubed eggplant, cabbage, white gourd ... whatever else you find in the refrigerator ...
    - Add salt for the veggies,

- Let veggies steam with a dash of water till almost or half done

- Add tamaring water (soak tamarind seeds in warm water, and rub them off into the water with fingers)
    - Add crushed jaggery/brown suger to taste

- Add cooked mashed tuvar daal,

- Add 1/2 t TURMERIC - do not forget.

- Add 2 spoons of sambar powder/ masala for 4 cups mashed tuvar daal (thick)

Add water, simmer.

Serve with idlis (made from soaked ground rice and urad daal), rice, dosa, or medhu vada ... but also with chapatis rotis and pancakes why not.

---------------

5. Mung Daal (light yellow) and Masoor daal (orange peeled lentil) are best cooked without tempering , but adding the oil, corriander-cumin powder, garam masala and sugar/jaggery while being cooked.

**Ginger goes well with mung daal. Mung daal is used in khichadi (see post #1) and is very easy to digest.

**Squeezing lemon juice over dal-rice lowers the glycemic index of rice or breads.

Thank you smaranam ji for starting this thread and others input
    I have recently decided that I would benefit from paying more attention to making healthy, filling sattvic meals.

Is is true that we can make a basic curry source or paste foundation, and from that convert it into different types of curry/flavours and recipes? Or do we need to make the curry source each time depending on the curry we intend to finish with?

What is a fat loss diet plan consist of in respect to the aim of being filling, sattvic and vegetarian? Can anyone advise or share links/book titles they recommend?
    Last edited by Onkara; 09 June 2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: finished the sentance I started lol

You are welcome ONkarji.

Keeping a basic curry paste in store is a very common thing , *However* , it mostly implies ginger-garlic paste, onion-tomato-chilly , XYZ-masala or onion-garlic-other-spice etc. The word curry usually means garlic included. So, sorry but... we cannot call curry paste "sattvic" so you will not find it on this thread.

I never make any pastes, only use fresh ingredients. It takes more to prepare and preserve the paste for weeks or a month, than to add fresh chopped ingredients each time. Garlic has become obsolete for us - please do not bring this to the notice of my family members although they know what is going on. I do cook with onion for others, only when it cannot be avoided - but not for KrushNa of course.

Curry Pastes can be refrigerated for a limited amount of time (or bought from store but will have lots of preservatives).

----------

For actually losing weight: Skip rice, potato, oil and all fats, refined flour and sugar of course. No naan or tortilla with refined flour.
    Gradually , minimal oil is added but that is about it. This is not a long-term diet. Long-term would mean more whole grains, less oil or butter/ghee, all fruits and veggies, and very little sugar.

I am no expert, but know someone who lost 10 kgs on a

1. "no-oil-chapati-with-leafy-greens-and-two-breakfast-bananas-diet"
    So basically, two meals: chapatis, leafy-green sabji and a banana.
    OR , two bananas for breakfast and then chapati-leafygreen-sabji for lunch and dinner. They just wanted to keep it simple, of course one can add fruit.

2. "low-carb-no-oil-mung-mini-roti-sabji-diet"
    In this one, they fill up on no-oil sprouted green mung soup (like daal), or mung-daal, minimized intake of no-oil mini-rotis, lots of raw salad, and very-low-oil sabji. Again 2 meals spread into 3 if need be.

Whole wheat chapatis or tortilla are good enough. Recently we have the millet and quinoa campaign over wheat which is quite good, but it also refers to the wheat breads found in the market, not stone-ground or whole-wheat no-fat chapatis/tortilla.

praNAm

Quote Originally Posted by Onkara View Post
    What is a fat loss diet plan consist of in respect to the aim of being filling, sattvic and vegetarian? Can anyone advise or share links/book titles they recommend?
    Quote Originally Posted by smaranam View Post
    For actually losing weight: Skip rice, potato, oil and all fats, refined flour and sugar of course. No naan or tortilla with refined flour.
    Gradually , minimal oil is added but that is about it. This is not a long-term diet. Long-term would mean more whole grains, less oil or butter/ghee, all fruits and veggies, and very little sugar.

I am no expert, but know someone who lost 10 kgs on a

1. "no-oil-chapati-with-leafy-greens-and-two-breakfast-bananas-diet"
    So basically, two meals: chapatis, leafy-green sabji and a banana.
    OR , two bananas for breakfast and then chapati-leafygreen-sabji for lunch and dinner. They just wanted to keep it simple, of course one can add fruit.

2. "low-carb-no-oil-mung-mini-roti-sabji-diet"
    In this one, they fill up on no-oil sprouted green mung soup (like daal), or mung-daal, minimized intake of no-oil mini-rotis, lots of raw salad, and very-low-oil sabji. Again 2 meals spread into 3 if need be.

Whole wheat chapatis or tortilla are good enough. Recently we have the millet and quinoa campaign over wheat which is quite good, but it also refers to the wheat breads found in the market, not stone-ground or whole-wheat no-fat chapatis/tortilla.

praNAm
    It's a matter of portion control also. As Burt Wolfe the food writer says "there are no bad foods, just inappropriate amounts".

A balanced meal of a portion of protein, a low glycemic carb (whole grain, legumes, vegs, etc.) and a touch of healthy fat will help reduce weight. There really is not need to deprive oneself of any food, just control the amounts. Even a little white potato or white bread occasionally won't hurt.
    śivasya hridayam viṣṇur viṣṇoscha hridayam śivaḥ

Many thanks smaranam and Minotaur for the replies and advice.
    I agree that with weight control (or fat loss) it is about quantity as well as quality. I suppose the answer is to begin with a good balanced sattvic diet and continue it, weight/fat will be reduced as a consequence. It seems to be a question of education in food as much as habit.

I am glad you clarified about the curry paste. It has been a question on my mind as to how curry or food which is spicy and consider tamasic is a part of the Indian diet.

Thanks again.

Thread Information