Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practical Application

Practical Application

I have been burning up the search function and taking in as much as possible, but there is one subject that doesn't seem to be anywhere, and that is how to transition into practical application of worship. I have read many of the texts over the years, and have an understanding and know this is my way.

I know some of you are thinking, simple contact your local (or closest) temple, meet and talk to the Pandit. It's just not that easy. I currently live in the Netherlands and since I work at home, I have very little social interaction and my Dutch it not good enough to express complex thoughts. I do not want any misunderstanding and want to avoid any frustration for any party involved.

So what would be the best step to take?

A bone-littered nest in the bottom of a pit deep in the jungles of Amesbury, Massachusetts.

Re: Practical Application

If by practical application you mean puja, I would say for now just do what comes naturally. For example, if you have an alter with a statue or picture of your personal patron god, and you're out during the day and see a flower you like, pick it and place it on the alter as an offering, or present your food to your god as an offering before eating it. There are guidelines as to what kinds of things can and can't be offered to what deities, like deities asociated with vishnu not being offered non-vegetarian food, but for now just do what seems right. I still wouldn't suggest offering meat though, and beef of course should be out of the question.

Yes, puja as well as other means of worshipping. Such as where to find the mantras, do you chant, if so when? where do you find the various pujas? when do you do puja &tc. &tc.

Also, where does one find high quality images for the alter? I have looked on-line and all I can find is a million on-line galleries, and the ones I actually found for sell are low quality, you can literally see the poor print quality on the images they show.

There are very few 'how-to' manuals for Hindu worship available online. There may be some available in India, but there isn't a practicial, adaptable one available in the West.

Here is a guide to performing South Indian style puja to Lord Ganesha, complete with instructions and transliterated mantras:

https://www.himalayanacademy.com/aud...puja_color.pdf

Alternatively, you could get a ghee lamp (preferably one with five wicks) and wave that in circles around the pictures on your altar while singing the bhajan "Om Jai Jagdish Hare"

Vannakkam Darji: Welcome to the forums.

One of my Guru's quotes was "Wisdom is th application of knowledge." so Yes I get how sometimes the philosophy is hard to apply in daily life.

But like Ashvati, I am not sure what you mean. For me the question implied little things minute to minute. An example is the attempt to see souls rather than personalities as you encounter people daily.

So perhaps you could explain a bit more.

Aum Namasivaya

To give an example, it is one thing to know how to sew (the knowledge), it is quite another to actually sew (wisdom).

You just don't pick up a piece of fabric and start sewing, you must prepare the cloth, place your pattern upon it, cut it out, baste it together, sew it up, press it, and only then is it ready to wear.

At this moment I only have the cloth and know how to sew, now I need the pattern.

Hope this makes sense

This pattern will depend on which item of clothing you are willing to make?

The thing which helped me the most in the begining was to take one stream and read only about it. As I did this, I found out what things I needed. Ultimately I found my place again, it was Kasmiri Saivism.

Ok, now I understand. I've wondered why "general" questions are so hard to answer here. Unless I misunderstand, in Sanatana dharma, while all simple questions and answers still lead to god, the method in which you obtain god is personal and the questions need to reflect your personal path in order to be helped on your path. In short, my question was very vague and now I see.

As I study and get myself more immersed into the web of paths or Sampradāya, what seemed like a simple choice has really turned into a path to God in itself.

All I know is that I am a Vaishnava, but this is where my path forks. For now I would like to start my journey with a more "general" Vishnu centric form of northern vaishnavism until I come to terms with who god is in order decide on a philosophy. I do favour Bhakti and/or japa-yoga and although Vishnu centric have always had a concept of trimurti with freedom to consult Ganesha.

Is there anything like this or should I reevaluate my beliefs. I am afraid I might have confused myself and gotten lost in the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Darji View Post
    Ok, now I understand. I've wondered why "general" questions are so hard to answer here. Unless I misunderstand, in Sanatana dharma, while all simple questions and answers still lead to god, the method in which you obtain god is personal and the questions need to reflect your personal path in order to be helped on your path. In short, my question was very vague and now I see.
    Yes.

As I study and get myself more immersed into the web of paths or Sampradāya, what seemed like a simple choice has really turned into a path to God in itself.

All I know is that I am a Vaishnava, but this is where my path forks. For now I would like to start my journey with a more "general" Vishnu centric form of northern vaishnavism until I come to terms with who god is in order decide on a philosophy. I do favour Bhakti and/or japa-yoga and although Vishnu centric have always had a concept of trimurti with freedom to consult Ganesha.

It seems you do have an item in your mind. You have already selected the item of clothing but need more information about how to create it the best way? This forum is the place for you. In my year here reading I was amazed by the truly learned people that frequent this place. But, you may find as you did in this thread that the moment you ask a question...you realize the answer may come from within...just as strongly as one of us will answer.

Is there anything like this or should I reevaluate my beliefs. I am afraid I might have confused myself and gotten lost in the web.
    This is a question this dog can not answer and I apologize. Your thoughts seem goodly to me....but this dog is on a very specialized path and could not say if it is or not. I can tell you, once at the stream we are compelled by certain ways of praying, thinking and living...they may not make sense...but in time they will. Believe in this.

Namaste Darji<3

Namaste NayaSurya,

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    This is a question this dog can not answer and I apologize. Your thoughts seem goodly to me....but this dog is on a very specialized path and could not say if it is or not. I can tell you, once at the stream we are compelled by certain ways of praying, thinking and living...they may not make sense...but in time they will. Believe in this.
    "Dog" did you say ? Why ? Let's see below :

GOD (the Original) =====> |(mirror)| ====> DOG (the Mirror Image)

Because we all are made in God's image !

I hope you are not seeing Dog as any inferior being & trying to show your humility by comparing yourself with a dog. The animal rights activists and the Dogs themselves would take exception to that !! Take Care !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information