Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What exactly is Sanatani Sikh and who?

Re: What exactly is Sanatani Sikh and who?

The word Hindu does not appear in any Sanskrit text. So I do not accept this word, for one i do not understand what it means. I doubt very much that people living in India before the advent of the British called themselves Hindu's. If they did i'm sure there would be such a word in Sanskrit, butHindu is a farsi word, which colloquially meant outsider/ foreigner much like the sanskrit word mlechha. If you wish to designate yourself and past historical figures by this offensive word then that is up to you.

Also are you people not familiar with the scriptures? Shiva revealed many scriptures to Devi and they found their way to Earth when some mischeivious person listened to the discourse Shiva was giving without him apparently knowing. Anyway does this not make Devi the first Sikh or Shishya when Shiva is the Adi Guru? The primordial Guru is God, Pure Consciousness, his Shakti is the first Sikh.

Quote Originally Posted by amra View Post
    The word Hindu does not appear in any Sanskrit text. So I do not accept this word, for one i do not understand what it means. I doubt very much that people living in India before the advent of the British called themselves Hindu's. If they did i'm sure there would be such a word in Sanskrit, butHindu is a farsi word, which colloquially meant outsider/ foreigner much like the sanskrit word mlechha. If you wish to designate yourself and past historical figures by this offensive word then that is up to you.
    This is the latest non-sense of mullas/zakhir nayak chamchas, their latest attack that hindu means= some offensive meaning word /now you have made it similar to mleccha. Care to know, In one forum ,someone did asked the moron mulla who was very accomplished to provide any authentic pramaan to show any offensive meaning of Hindu word. He left the forum disheartened because He couldn't find any authentic farsi-arabic-urdu dictionary having any such meaning of Hindu. Its just the non-sense of late 20th century.

Also are you people not familiar with the scriptures? Shiva revealed many scriptures to Devi and they found their way to Earth when some mischeivious person listened to the discourse Shiva was giving without him apparently knowing. Anyway does this not make Devi the first Sikh or Shishya when Shiva is the Adi Guru? The primordial Guru is God, Pure Consciousness, his Shakti is the first Sikh.
    Your religion is great sir, extraordinary supreme, But please stop saying it encompasses sanatan dharm within it and you dont become smarter calling durga devi a sikh, care to know if she is shisya, she is guru too . Durga devi too refers too your ek Onkaar and entity beyond that. Your religion irrespective of great history is turning into yet another abrahmaic religion, anyways, I wont like to drift the topic.

@snip
    Landlord of the flat I live in is a sikh, a very nice human being, her mother has her television set on all the day long, some punjabi channel giving some sikh bhajans. But she also has photos of shiva,krishna and durga ji in her room and also goes to listen to hindu satsang in the society. such sikhs who show the true spirit of sanatan dharm, spirit of mutual respect and love can be called sanatan sikh as against some neo-sikhs with haram and halal concept of islam, xianity. Most of the sikhs of INDIA are very patriotic and nice human being. Hope Canadians dont mind.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Thank you all, for your replies
    I find the Sri Guru Granth Sahib enspiring. There must be a way of living which embraces the heart of Sikhi whilst recognising Sanatana Dharma.

The heart of Sikhi is the same as the heart of Sanatana Dharma which is the same as the heart of CHristianity and Islam. Names are mere externals, the depth behind the name can only be pierced by one who has a clear intellect, the name or concept has to be enlivened or awakened otherwise it is empty - like a political tool. I was told by someone to be like a bee and suck the nectar from many different flowers. Take whatever is useful from all traditions in sincerity

The heart of Sikhi is the same as the heart of Sanatana Dharma which is the same as the heart of CHristianity and Islam. Names are mere externals, the depth behind the name can only be pierced by one who has a clear intellect, the name or concept has to be enlivened or awakened otherwise it is empty - like a political tool. I was told by someone to be like a bee and suck the nectar from many different flowers. Take whatever is useful from all traditions in sincerity
    Hello Amra
    You reply with wise advice, thank you. The difficulty comes with the desire for Sadh Sangat. Wishing to share that sense of community and love through devotion with other people. Perhaps you can correct me? My understanding is that faith and commitement blossoms best when focused on a single religion (path), be it of any religion or sect? Altnernatively one lives the life of bee, alwasys alone and moving from flower to flower but never without resting to share the joy of others.

You are very right, but a bee is always connected to the main hive of bees. Wherever he goes he is connected to his brother bees. Maybe this bee has a liking for the yellow crocus and shuns other flowers, it is a personal choice, maybe the bee likes the colour or the fragrance of such a flower. There may be other bees who are his friends and also like this flower but in the evening they all go back to the hive and be together. But the tragedy you may know about is that bees are dying out, and many other insects like wasps flies and locusts are increasing. so it is my proposal that the bees must for the moment forget about the different fragrances and colours of the flowers and work to gather the nectar from wherever they can.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaskar,
    Obviously, history is not your best subject. Please read sikh history. Guru Nanak and all the other 9 gurus were all hindus. The first 5 'sikhs' or panj piyarya were all hindus.
    Satay,

I am sure you are ready to claim Dhiren Bharot as also a hindu.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhiren_Barot

namaskar,

What does a terrorist have to do with the Gurus? Are you saying that guru gobind and the panch piyara were terrorists?

If the gurus were not hindus before sikhism was created then what were they? securlars, muslims, buddhists, what?

Quote Originally Posted by darshansingh View Post
    Satay,

I am sure you are ready to claim Dhiren Bharot as also a hindu.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhiren_Barot
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaskar,
    If the gurus were not hindus before sikhism was created then what were they? securlars, muslims, buddhists, what?
    You didn't get my sarcasm. I will elaborate it.

You are willing to claim sikh gurus as hindus; because they were born hindus.

However, you are not willing to claim a terrorist as a hindu; if he was born hindu.

Now do you see the point.

People in their lifetime, have changes in their ideology. They may not remain the same person all their life. So, to call somebody Hindu just because he was born a hindu is not correct.

namaste,

So what were the gurus before guru gobind singh did sataphana of sikhism? What were they? Were they mullahs, buddhists, atheists...what?

My original point was that by birth they were hindu. You say, no?

Quote Originally Posted by darshansingh View Post
    You didn't get my sarcasm. I will elaborate it.

You are willing to claim sikh gurus as hindus; because they were born hindus.

However, you are not willing to claim a terrorist as a hindu; if he was born hindu.

Now do you see the point.

People in their lifetime, have changes in their ideology. They may not remain the same person all their life. So, to call somebody Hindu just because he was born a hindu is not correct.
    satay

Thread Information