Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Offering food

Offering food

I have been wondering. When you offer food at your altar what do you do with it? Do you just let it sit there to rot??

Re: Offering food

It becomes prasadam, you can share it with other devotees after the worship is finished. You can also take some of the water used to do abhishekam and sip it, take the flowers the next day and put them on your head and then smell them and you can also take the tulsi leaves as prasadam.

Flowers? Not that I'm opposed to the idea.. I think it would symbolize I am a man of peace.. However I believe my community may think that I've become a bit Homosexual..
    I live in In northern New England and we have "hicks" (Country Boys) You know the type? BIG EGOS

Vannakkam Tirisilex:

Flowers are the main offering in Hinduism. All over India it is a crop, used about 99% for temples. You will fields of marigolds, as far as the eye can see. There are roses, marigolds, and many others I don't know the name of. I make garlands for our temple. The protest uses rose petals every time he offers a name of God in chanting.

Inner devas can smell the fragrance, and 'see' the flower from the other side. For a closer look at an Indian florist specializing in Indian style garlands google 'Fancy Florist' in Toronto. There m ain business is garlands for weddings and temples. Out temple probably spends nearly $1000 on flowers for our annual festival. Browse some of the Indian temple sites on line and they're everywhere.

Just because you are around flowers or like flowers has nothing to do with homosexuality. Look at the Dutch. Famous for bulbs of all kinds they are. In the summer here at temple I grow sunflower, marigolds, nasturtium, rose, lily, and tons of petunias, and pinks.

Nothing will liven up your shrine more than a fresh flower. Try it. You can almost feel the appreciation of the Gods when you place a petal at the feet.

I say let the 'old boy' rednecks have their meat and half-ton trucks. You go for the flowers.

Aum Namasivaya

" take the flowers the next day and put them on your head"

I have NO problem with putting them around my altar.. It's the wearing them in public..
    I picked a White flower from a shop that had flowers in front.. I put it by my ear.. like a pencil being held by your ear.. As I was walking down the street a bunch of guys with 2 Pick-Up Trucks started saying "Look at that sissy guy over there"

A bone-littered nest in the bottom of a pit deep in the jungles of Amesbury, Massachusetts.

If its a matter of personal safety, which it can be with some of these people, then I would avoid wearing them in public too. They just won't understand.

Vannakkam Tirisilex:

I'm sorry. I misunderstood your post. I thought it was about flowers in general , not wearing in public.

I would never wear the flowers, or pottu or vibhuthi in public either. Not because I wouldn't want to or be ashamed. Its just that I'm sick of answering questions. The few times I have forgotten end up in some ridiculously blunt person asking me. I will wear flower behind ear in the car etc, on the way home.
    That was a good thing about India, although you don't wear a garland. Nice decoration for the car though.

Aum Namasivaya

hahaha . funny thread .

well, trisilex , you need not wear your flowers . you can remove the flowers in the late evening before going to bed or just before leaving the deities to rest . then just touch them to your forehead in respect and smell their fragrance . prasadi flowers brings peace and tranquility to you inner soul . then you can put them in a compost heap and reuse them as a manure for your plants . in india people dump them in river ...........ganga in where i live coz , its merely a short distance away .

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    Flowers? Not that I'm opposed to the idea.. I think it would symbolize I am a man of peace.. However I believe my community may think that I've become a bit Homosexual..
    I live in In northern New England and we have "hicks" (Country Boys) You know the type? BIG EGOS
    You don't have to wear the flowers, man ! Relax ! If you are a woman & you want to wear it, it is ok.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by Tirisilex View Post
    " take the flowers the next day and put them on your head"

I have NO problem with putting them around my altar.. It's the wearing them in public..
    I picked a White flower from a shop that had flowers in front.. I put it by my ear.. like a pencil being held by your ear.. As I was walking down the street a bunch of guys with 2 Pick-Up Trucks started saying "Look at that sissy guy over there"
    LOL

I didn't mean to put them in your hair. I meant to hold them in your hands, hold them against your forehead like you are bowing to them and then smell them. You don't have to keep them on your body if you don't want to.

I remember I had a tilak on years ago and people kept saying: "you have something on your head."

Thread Information