Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Could Hinduism be Westernised?

Re: Could Hinduism be Westernised?

Trust me, you are not alone in this subject. We came at time for Abhishekam and my husband was offered to stand in line and get the sweetend milk.

Now I am allergic to lactose so I stand back...but bless his heart...he was right in line.

They poured a huge ammount into his tiny hand and it ran down everywhere! Oh the humiliation of this. I immediated take my hands and catch most of it. But he was horrified. It was such a sweet thing to offer this to him...but again...not a good moment. It made him very sad, and me too.

No one stood to help, most laughed...and honestly it made me go home and really work on what caused our sadness.

But, first, I take my part in this, knowing I am very welcoming and happy person. Here it is custom to take both hands and cherish a person. Hindu culture...left hand is offensive. I know we had to work on ourselves to be more modest and less hugging and open. For a whole year I did this. When we went back last time we avoid big crowded time...and simply prayed alone.

But, truly with all my heart, what I had hoped for is to have someone come to us and be the hand to help us along.

Ashvati...trust me, you are not alone in this. You have my heart for going through that alone. Siva gave me Ron...as the best friend and partner anyone could hope for...he is my beloved Hanuman in every endevour. Always moving the mountains for us.

If the hand never comes, I will live knowing we have done our best...and I vow to be that hand to anyone who needs me, despite being utterly unworthy to be such a thing.

Even now, this clown tells you of the embarassment...in the hopes that it eases your moment with the knowledge all of us go through such things. Rarely is one so brave to speak about it as you have.<3

Quote Originally Posted by Ashvati View Post

Perhaps some temples could have a program of having someone who can make himself easily understood in english asigned to help out those who need this kind of help on a one-for-one basis.
    Too bad you didn't live here. Our temple does that. There are about 3 people who will take school groups on tour, explain etc. If I am there, I'll offer my services and introduce myself. It's a pleasure really. Many Hindus don't know their religion very well and are hesitant to say much because their own ignorance shows. Of course, usually the smartest ones are the elders who often don't feel comfortable in English.

I must look the part because when we were on pilgrimage in Omaha, these students from Nepal studying in nearby South Dakota were there for their first time and approached me asking questions. I though that was kind of funny.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakam again:

Embarrassment? There are 100 ways to drape a sari, and when a westerner wears one, every single lady she encounters feel it is HER god given duty to instruct on the correct way. One continues.

At my Hindu wedding, my veshti fell down as I stood up from a prostration. Things like this happen. Thank God veshtis aren't like kilts.

Naya: The milk from abhishekam has a knack for holding it, (right hand cupped) but it sounds like they may have given Ron too much on purpose. I can see that, unfortunately. Here we gently correct the kids (and newcomers) if possible ... things like which finger to take kumkum with etc.

Aum Namasivaya

The heart could not allow it to be said...

With him working many hours I know he hopefully will not see this. As I think it would be very bad for him to know. He was so busy trying to gather it that he did not even look to see.

Truth be told, they did...it was double that of every other.

Naya: Unfortunate but not that surprising. (Nothing much surprises me.)

But as I've said before, the temple is God's house. So God witnessed all that as well. We westerners have just got to get it out of our heads that the temple is a place for people. It is God's house. Think of it as the Presidents white room or whatever its called. You get invited, He invites you. You are there to see Him and Him alone. There is a direct connection between each devotee's hearts and eyes towards God, and His blessings are coming back. This is called Darshan, and Hindus will walk a mile, 100 miles, spend money, sacrifice, fast, ride long distances in airplanes, just for three seconds of this mystical magic. For a bhaktar, THAT is Hinduism. The priest, other devotees doing the same thing are all like trees on the side of the road, to be appreciated but ignored. I would put my focus completely on God. Once you do that, the people will see it, and then they will majke you welcome as then they can see you are one of them.

I remember not going to temple for a long time when an old friend came running up to me to talk. I just politely said, "I have to see Ganesha first. We can talk later." He understood completely. The other night a very interesting couple from, Tiruvanammalai was there, and the priest pointed them out to us. One would of thought it would have been fun to chat with them. While they were getting archana, we left. Its NOT about the people.

You can tell the two points of view here in the west. The people crowd goes on Sunday to see other people. The God crowd goes on other days to see God.

Aum Namasivaya

Satsangs in America are great but the chanting is not in English and it should not be. What is it with a suit and tie anyway? Why is it that newsreaders, weatherman, sports announcers and everyone else on TV wear suits?
    All is Siva there is nothing without Siva.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashvati View Post
    I believe a certain degree of westernization is needed if the Dharma is to thrive in the west, mainly in terms of making it more accessible to those born in the west not speaking any indian language. There should still be an insistance on learning and adapting so that one can function in a non-westernized satsang (assuming congregational worship rather than a more south indian style of course). Even something as small as making sure there's at least one person working at the temple who speaks fluent english and having that person or literature to explain whats going on during different ceremonies and pujas, as well as how to perform them, would go a long way.

Perhaps some temples could have a program of having someone who can make himself easily understood in english asigned to help out those who need this kind of help on a one-for-one basis. I for one would find this immensely helpful and comforting.
    These are all good ideas, Ashvati. From my experience, most of the people at the temple do speak English (many with New Zealand accents even!). I'm assuming that the reason that Gujarati is spoken is that the priest doesn't speak fluent English. Plus the people there may like to have a place where they can come once a week and converse with each other in their own language.

But there should be someone there who can explain things to newcomers. A man helped me out when I first came by getting me a book, although most of the book was in Gujarati, with some parts romanized; however there was only one place where anything was translated into English. There aren't any books with English translation and also no copies of the Gita in English. My mother said that the probable reason for that is they don't generally expect Westerners to come to their temple. Possibly those that do come would be religious studies students, who are interested in seeing how Hindus worship rather than learning how to do the worship themselves. And possibly some of the Hindus there believe that conversion to Hinduism is not possible - you have to be born into it, so therefore they have no need for materials for non-Indians.

Oh, and in-temple language courses would be great, but I'm sure many temples may already offer this for children.
    Our temple has classes for children, but currently no Gujarati classes for adults. I wish they did have some (both Gujarati and religious classes).

Quote Originally Posted by Satyaban View Post
    Satsangs in America are great but the chanting is not in English and it should not be. What is it with a suit and tie anyway? Why is it that newsreaders, weatherman, sports announcers and everyone else on TV wear suits?
    You're right - the songs should be in whatever language they are in, however there should also be a book with the English translation for those who don't speak that languge.

The reason I mentioned the priest wearing a suit is because that's what a lot of Protestant pastors wear in church. The whole thread was about Westernising Hinduism.

The funny and sad thing is, it has already been done! yes, one of the main reasons I am against these clowns claiming to be "Hindus". lol..

In an adjacent city to mine, there is a place called CHURCH OF SELF REALIZATION run by these drugged out hippies who think they are Hindu. They are devotees of Yogananda I should add as he is supposed to have established his "Self Realization Fellowship" in Los Angeles in the 1920s.

It is really a comedy show if you go.

I went there, by mistake, as apparently they were "shocked" to see a Hindu who's interested in Hinduism! No way! Nobody would have thought of that!

At first I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I was mistaken.

These clowns carry out their prayers and 'worship' EXACTLY like a christian church. scott has described in his first post what these muppets do in this organization.

There is a guy who dresses in a suit, wearing shoes (leather too I might add), picks up a book, it's a Gita (English version by Srila Prabhupada), and quotes a couple of verses and starts to pontificate on them as if he is self-realized!

The 'devotees' all sit in rows of benches, just like a church and "pray" at his behest. It is really sickening. The funny thing is, these dopes are not Hindus at all. Again, the reason why I don't think any of these goofs can be Hindu even by guna/karma, simply because they simply REPLACE jeebus the charlatan with Krishna and instead of saying 'hallelujah', they say 'hare Krishna' etc. They still practice christianity with Hindu symbols and deities. That is all.

They never were, never are, and never will be Hindu.

Next.
    Last edited by satay; 14 May 2010 at 01:19 PM.

Westernizing Hindu Dharma sounds very stupid. I wasn't really aware that Hindus in the West face so much of problem in connecting with their roots. But I don't understand one thing, why don't they speak Indian language? I don't think that just because you live in a foreign country you stop conversing in your language. I mean if I can be good in English in a Hindi environment, they why can't they be could in their native tongue in an English environment?

Urban India is as modernized as any Western country. Here as well people have no interest in the culture and religion. And frankly, I only go to temples on tuesdays, that too on being forced by my Ma. But then even if people are so uninterested in Dharma, still the parents teach them a thing or two. For eg, how much my friends might be unaware of Hindu ideology, but still they can chant the Maha Mritunjaya Mantra, even if it is the only one. Of course most people don't even do that but still.

I don't think that just because you live in India you are a good Hindu or whatever. Most people find it embarrassing to express their Dharma, which is something I totally fail to understand. It all depends on your upbringing and not the country you live in.

Thread Information