Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Hinduism be Westernised?

Could Hinduism be Westernised?

Do you think it would be possible to УwesterniseФ the Hindu religion Ц i.e. to separate the beliefs of Hinduism from Indian culture and still practice the religion? I am by no means saying that we should do this, IТm simply hypothesising if such a thing would be possible.
    For example: On Sunday morning everyone gathers at the temple, which has rows of seats up to the front. In the front is an altar with Hindu Deities and a pulpit. People light candles and place them before the Deities for particular prayer intentions. Everyone wears Western clothes. The priest is dressed in either a business suit or a clergy suit with white collar. A bhajan is sung Ц in English. The priest welcomes everyone in English and proceeds with some prayers and intercessions, followed by another English-language bhajan and then a reading from the Bhagavad-Gita in English. After this he gives a sermon on Hindu beliefs with reference to the Bhagavad-Gita reading.
    Could Hinduism ever become like this? Or is it so much entwined with Indian culture that to separate it would make it something else entirely?

Re: Could Hinduism be Westernised?

sure, but why would you want to?

Vannakkam Scott:

I'm with Darji. Why?

It is already westernised enough. Many temples have the choice of pews. Some have carpets. In northern countries different building codes for construction, and the laws of the land had to be applied.

But these are necessities. All of the ancient rules had reasons. Bare feet has a reason. Not wearing leather has a reason. Dressing in certain attire makes one feel religious and ready to communicate with God. The moment you put another man's preaching in front of me, I will leave. Its between the soul and God, and that's it.

Aum Namasivaya

I never understood the concept of walking into a place of worship with shoes on, seems disrespectful to me, also the sitting at the pews always irked me as being too leisurely, like you're waiting to have tea and biscuits with Jesus.

I do see your point none the less, but why model it on a Christian format? Because it is familiar? Singing bhajan in your native language could have some benefits, but the rest not too sure about.

namaste SM.

I hope you would allow me to express my views without taking any offense.

• Your ideas and descriptions of westernizing Hinduism is perhaps an indication that although you have switched over to Hinduism, you are yet to outgrow your western/Christian culture and way of life. You had all that you describe in your earlier religion, so perhaps you should think as to why you wanted a change in religion.

• Hinduism is inextricably bonded with Hindu culture and tradition. This is why Hinduism is described as a way of life and not a religion. And the Hindu culture has its focus on spirituality in every action and aspect of life. As EM has pointed out, from barefoot-walking in temples to sitting barefoot on the floor in sukhAsana have proven spiritual benefits, which our Hindu sages have long foreseen and prescribed.

• This is not to say that Hinduism does not adapt to the western habits and manners of modern life that our Hindu youth love to love. If we consider the ideas in your description,

‣ Hindu devotees wear western clothes, yes. Still they are barefooted inside the temple.

‣ Hindu priests wearing a business suit is unthinkable for a Hindu, an apachAram. It's the same case with a Hindu man/woman performing a puja in the house.

‣ A candle, compared to a lamp of sesame or other permitted oil, is gross in the sense that candle is made from wax which is not a vegetable substance.

Do you know that the fumes of an earthern lamp burning sesame oil can prevent snakes from entering the home, which is the reason Hindus burn them every evening at their doorsteps?

As against this, candles emit pollutants, which can cause health problems. Check this article for details: http://www.geocities.ws/mcs_australia/candles.html

• Every day of the week--not just Sunday--is associated with a divine personality in Hinduism. Friday is associated with Shakti the Mother Goddess as well, so it is considered more sacred in temples than the other days.

• English, IMO, is a language not suited for Hindu songs and bhajans, because of its vague spelling, pronunciation and slurring of words in speech. A person speaking English experiences irregular breathing, which is not spiritually conducive as breath-control leads to thought-control.

Indian languages that use the DevanAgari alphabet, on ther other hand, have all the sounds with clearly and distinctly intonated letters, which are the most suitable for a nAmAvaLi bhajan, a shloka or a stotra.

• "The priest welcomes everyone in English and proceeds with some prayers..." In many Hindu temples in Tamilnadu, specially the VaiShNavite ones, as the priest waves the Arati to the deities, he explains in English and vernacular about the legends behind the deity and the temple. But no prayers in English for the reasons mentioned in my previous point.

Whether you are convinced or not, like it or not, Hinduism as I said is inextricably bonded with the Hindu culture and tradition, and would become lifeless and soulless like the Abrahamic religions without them.

рд░рддреНрдирд╛рдХрд░рдзреМрддрдкрджрд╛рдВ рд╣рд┐рдорд╛рд▓рдпрдХрд┐рд░реАрдЯрд┐рдиреАрдореН ред
    рдмреНрд░рд╣реНрдорд░рд╛рдЬрд░реНрд╖рд┐рд░рд░рддреНрдирд╛рдвреНрдпрд╛рдВ рд╡рдиреНрджреЗ рднрд╛рд░рддрдорд╛рддрд░рдореН рее

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

I don't think that Indians should go out of their way to westernize themselves in order to pander to western culture. That said I don't see a problem with westerners showing their culture through in their practices so long as it remains within the basic confines of the faith.

I would have no problem if the kathas and pravachanas were partially in English. But I agree that saying the prayers in English reduces the power significantly. Even chanting shlokas in sanskrit with an american accent does not convey much power. There are many westerners who have made an attempt to chant mantras and stotras, but as long as they don't learn to pronounce the aksharas correctly, it will not sound like a mantra.

Westerners have a problem hearing the nuances of sounds in Indian language. They were not raised with the language. What will happen to Indian children when they are only exposed to prayers in English?

Another problem with doing everything in English is that the translations of mantras and of shlokas of the gitas can never convey the exact meaning of the original Sanskrit. Hinduism is a very diverse religion with various sampradayas and philosophical beliefs. They hold one thing in common though, everyone uses (mostly) the same Sanskrit versions of mantras.

Can you be Hindu and not be Indian? This is a question I ask a lot lately.

There is a fine line.

For example. I don't like Indian food...oh how I've tried...it's no use. Give me some vegetable Lo mein any day.:P

So am I to suffer by trying to eat foods that upset this anglo stomach? Absolutely not....it's too spicy for my ulcer...and ugh I hate yogurt. I am native American and Irish...milk products make me so sick...just the thought of yogurts...butters...honey...all of this...not me.

I perfer low milk fat cheese and simple bread. Stuck on an island this is all I would bring. I sometimes look at a food and wonder...(in this American culture rightly so) Is this food free of animal products. I search the lables...even on cans of beans. Such an arduous task living within an ocean of ignorance.

But, learning to accept who you are in this vessel is just as important as knowing who you are not. So this girl eats anglo and chinese foods primarily.

I am a barefoot westerner...it's the soul's design to do this. I go barefoot in schools..at Holiday World...because this is inside of me. You look at most of the churches here, you will find many in Kentucky where shoes are chucked at the door. Especially the small ones.

There is a middle path, one to honor the vast wonderful history of Sanskrit...and the humble ways of ahimsa and anglo participation in the best ways we can.

Learning the words in the natural form is so important, it enriches my life daily.

My western body worshiping humbly without candles...learning the Sanskrit words flawlessly so that I do not fumble...knowing each word's meaning as I utter it....this is whole satisfaction.

But I will wear humble western clothes to temple and not mask who I am this time. I'll be bare foot before coming through the door...and on my knees praying the entire time anyway. That's why there are no pew...at the feet, it's simply not needed.

I may never be Hindu because of my belief in accepting this location as my point of origin and the needed perspective of this lifetime. But I will be a devotee of Most Beloved Siva. This can never be changed.

I run around an amusement park all summer floating on crystal blue water, praying to Siva thanks for this moment. . Kroger's grocery store in front of the heap of meats and seafood. I pray: raghupati raaghav raajaaraam, patit pavan sitaram, siitaaraam,bhaj pyaare tu sitaram, iishvar Allah tero naam, sab ko sanmati de bhagavaan!
    As the shoppers walk by in their Sunday church clothes. These are my familiar temples.
    Scott, I think I understand what you are saying...it goes beyond things such a pews more so to the ideals western churches have.

That comfortable western ideal of a place where you go and can be instructed, your hand held at every step. The Christians do this. Every step is carefully helped along by many hands. The Christians immediately put you in learning the bible classes.

I remember when I was 5 years old, I had read everything they had in Sunday school...and I began to ask the questions..that always come for one who is Hindu on the inside.

They removed me from class and put me into the adults classes. I was five and everyone around me in this class was over 40. The Mormons recognize the seekers and move them up accordingly...but they could not hold me with their irrational philosophy...even at that high level of monitoring. The western church carefully holds you, always there helping you into more indoctrination.

It is as the gentle hand delivers the dose of anesthetic....bringing you blissful ignorance to the truth.

In the Temple, there is no such hands. We carve out our own way...and with luck some kind Hindu soul recognizes us and helps us along.

What I wish most of all is that I had a place that I could take my family, that would help us go deeper into Sanatana Dharma and worshipping Most Beloved Siva.

This, is my hearts greatest desire.

Namaskar,

Quote Originally Posted by ScottMalaysia View Post
    Do you think it would be possible to “westernise” the Hindu religion – i.e. to separate the beliefs of Hinduism from Indian culture and still practice the religion?

If by westernize you mean separate it from Indian culture then the answer is a resounding NO!

As an Indian (and Canadian!) and as a 'nominal' hindu, I don't want it to be 'westernized'. People like me will do whatever it takes to ensure that it doesn't happen. If I ever see shoes allowed in a hindu temple, there is no way I am going to attend that temple ever again. No ifs and buts about that.

I am sure many of the 'western' hindus are on the same page i.e. they don't want it to become westernized.

Hope my post is not too offensive.
    satay

Westerners go barefoot. Perhaps where it's colder in Canada it's not as feasible.

Culturally speaking being western should not = being in shoes...or even being without shoes. This is too vast a group to say such a thing about.

It would be like saying everyone in the west is rich.

What does westernized mean exactly? How can two people living side by side in the same country be that different? Our children attend the same schools...go to the same markets to buy food. Our children play baseball together...soccer/football.

Please explain what this dirty word means for the confused, ignorant mother here who can not seem to grasp what is so wretched about this society that everyone seems to be flocking to by the millions every year?

We have problems, but all of mankind shares these similar issues.

Western isn't a culture. American is. European is...but even then you would have to go down to smaller groups and understand the vast cultural differences of each. I am Kentuckian, this culture is very different than that of California. Many of us here are barefoot even in large places such as Walmart.

Because "western" is such a huge amalgamation of cultures, it is impossible to pin point it down in such a way.

Seek the good of the culture around you...there is common ground.

I would like to believe we have more in common that we have not.

Sanatana Dharma makes the whole world of cultures only that more beautiful. We need it in every corner...every single location.

Thread Information