Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of Hinduism would this be considered?

What type of Hinduism would this be considered?

Gandhi was very much a universalistic Hindu and I was wondering what form of Hinduism best fits his words here? This I believe is at least the path for which I will begin my journey and from it I will grow into things. I appreciate everyones help as always.

Re: What type of Hinduism would this be considered?

What Mahatma Gandhi talks about is the real face of Hinduism. It is so vast ... with so many varying doctrines, rituals etc.etc. but still maintaining its unique identity underneath and that makes it more like a Sea where all varying religious ideologies fall into and become one with it.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

The religion of Ghandi's birth was Jain.

During his days as a young man in England he read Christian scripture as well as Hindu. He was a student of Theosophy.

When asked later in life if he was Hindu he said.... "Yes I am. I am also a Christian, a Muslim, a Buddhist and a Jew."

This is not as much about his religious choice as his philosophy of other religions. In that case your answer would be...almost all Hindu religions would be compatible with that philosophy. It's all about the practicioner.

Namaste Nayasurya,

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    The religion of Ghandi's birth was Jain.
    No, he was not a Jain in strict sense. His father was from Modh family and Bania by caste within Hinduism. Yes, there was not much differentiation between the Jains and Hindus in those times & there were marriages among Hindus and the Jains. I think his mother came from a Jain family.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Please pardon my ignorance. I had read that his early childhood was heavily influenced by Jainism. Yes, I did read about his Mother being also influenced by the Jain beliefs. She was afiliated with Becharji Swami.

Thank you for correcting my misinformation.

namaskar,

Quote Originally Posted by SethDrebitko View Post
    Gandhi was very much a universalistic Hindu and I was wondering what form of Hinduism best fits his words here? This I believe is at least the path for which I will begin my journey and from it I will grow into things. I appreciate everyones help as always.
    Gandhi (with all due respect to him) was a political leader. If I were you, I would look to a spiritual leader instead to learn about hinduism.

My 2 cents.
    satay

Satay has a point. A political leaders job is to remain on the fence and not commit to any one view, thus keeping order in the political arena. This explains why Ghandhi was so general in his statements you posted, as he was trying to unite a large and diverse country under one ideal, and you can not do this unless you keep your statments general and shift focus towards the goal.

Quote Originally Posted by Darji View Post
    Satay has a point. A political leaders job is to remain on the fence and not commit to any one view, thus keeping order in the political arena. This explains why Ghandhi was so general in his statements you posted, as he was trying to unite a large and diverse country under one ideal, and you can not do this unless you keep your statments general and shift focus towards the goal.
    Namaste

Is not the purpose of religion to unite a large and diverse world under one ideal, whatever the names and limited preconceptions you ascribe to it, as ineffable brahman?

It seems to me that similarly inclusive, pluralistic, universalist approaches work for both politics and religion, as politics is to unify in a worldly sense, and religion in a spiritual sense. That's not to say vaguery and a lack of specific knowledge is a good thing, but such knowledge is like a tailored path for partite groups or individuals, and should be suborned to the overall unity of approaching the divine.

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Nayasurya,

No, he was not a Jain in strict sense. His father was from Modh family and Bania by caste within Hinduism. Yes, there was not much differentiation between the Jains and Hindus in those times & there were marriages among Hindus and the Jains. I think his mother came from a Jain family.

OM
    Correction he was not from a Bania caste family but a mixture of castes forming its own community.

And now the final word.....

Our Mahatama belonged to the Shri Krishna Pranami sect, which at the time was based on the Bhagwad Gita and influenced by Quran. In the last few decades, it has tried to distance itself from the Islamic influence and content in its philosophy, and has been advertising itself solely as followers of Lord Krishna. The Mahatama had a soft spot for muslims because of his upbringing as a Pranami which at the time included reading of Quran and singing of Islamic influenced bhajans. Of course he was influenced by Jainism as a child and Christianity during his stay in England. He grew into a humanist who accepted all and tolerated all. Being a "political" leader, he tried to be "inclusive" to command the respect and trust of ALL Indians.

The Pranami sect gets a mention in the Mahatama's autobiography and also in Richard Attenborough's movie on his life. There are many sites on the web on Pranami sect, including the following one:

http://krishnapranami.blogspot.com/2...-year-old.html

Thread Information