Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bhakti Sagara - Collection of Bhajans

Re: Bhakti Sagara - Collection of Bhajans

Quote Originally Posted by Mana View Post
    Namasté All

To my ears, this is intensely beautiful.

I should love to know if the pronunciation and meter is respected.

Thank you kindly.

praNAma

mana
    No meter, grammar, pronunciation or integrity of mantra is respected here. But if it floats your boat, more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    No meter, grammar, pronunciation or integrity of mantra is respected here. But if it floats your boat, more power to you.
    Namasté Sahasranama,

Thank you for your informative response. It is fascinating to me the difference between Eastern and Western music.

Is the pitch of mantra or Bhajan, annotated in Indian culture?
    Or is this left to interpretation?

Thank you.

praNAma

mana

Namasté Sahasranama,

Thank you for your informative response. It is fascinating to me the difference between Eastern and Western music.

Thank you.

praNAma

mana
    I don't understand music but do enjoy it like most other human beings. Indian and western music are very different, both are excellent in every way, but better listened and admired within their own context.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Namasté Sahasranama,

Thank you.

praNAma

mana
    I am not an expert of music either, but what I meant with my points I can briefly describe below:

-grammar: when people combine words they often forget to use the proper case etc.
    -meter: in this clip the gayatri mantra of ganesha was used, but not in the traditional meter of the gayatri.
    -pronunciation: if you are familiar with Indian languages you can easily spot mispronunciations
    -integrity of mantra: mantras are always chanted completely, but in this clip there was only a part of the mantra combined with another mantra

I am also not an expert on music, I don't sing or play an instrument, but I do enjoy mostly Indian devotional/classical music. I don't listen to much else, unless someone else is playing music. Hindu classical music is derived from the Sama veda/ Gandhara upaveda. Samaveda chanting isn't very fancy, some pandits call it chanting of frogs, because it sounds a little repetitive, but it is a very meditative experience to listen to it. This form of music is also a yogic sadhana. It can easily absorp your mind in a state of dhyana/samadhi just from listening to it.

Namasté sm87,

I do respect you position on this, yet the music of my parents era was so heavily influenced by the influx of Hindu teachings from India at that time, sent to the west by such masters as Sri Swami Sivananda, amongst others.
    I find it difficult to accept this perspective having learnt to play by ear. A classically trained musician would agree with you; whole heartedly, I am sure.

There are some very interesting cross pollinations.

Hendrix: as bold as love.

This album is an enormous influence in my childhood. I would recommend The song "Axis bold as love" and "If 6 was 9" amongst many of the great works on this album.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the Indian influence on Dharma in the West, since Swami Vivekananda's visit and onwards.
    I do not see such a divide?
    I do respect tradition. We are however, free to discuss such matters; openly in an international place, such as the WWW?

Are we not?

praNAma

mana
    Last edited by Mana; 02 October 2011 at 08:11 AM.

Namasté Sahasranama,

Thank you for sharing this, it is so true that the forest that is the internet can be a little hard to decipher at times; thankfully there are places such as this and people such as your self, with whom and where such matters can be openly discussed.

Such that wisdom and love may grow.

I am very much a beginner, learning the scriptural wisdom for a better understanding of the subtleties within this delectable wisdom.

Thank you kindly.

praNAma

mana

Namasté sm87,

I do respect you position on this, yet the music of my parents era was so heavily influenced by the influx of Hindu teachings from India at that time, sent to the west by such masters as Sri Swami Sivananda, amongst others.
    I find it difficult to accept this perspective having learnt to play by ear. A classically trained musician would agree with you; whole heartedly, I am sure.

There are some very interesting cross pollinations.

Hendrix: as bold as love.

This album is an enormous influence in my childhood. I would recommend The song "Axis bold as love" and "If 6 was 9" amongst many of the great works on this album.

I would love to hear your thoughts on the Indian influence on Dharma in the West, since Swami Vivekananda's visit and onwards.
    I do not see such a divide?
    I do respect tradition. We are however, free to discuss such matters; openly in an international place, such as the WWW?

Are we not?

praNAma

mana
    I am not against cross pollination either - i quite love "my sweet lord". However, classical chants sung like western music doesn't sound good to my ears. Maybe its more cultural. But respecting original cultural tradition is not a bad thing imho. But I don't want to make too much fuss about it - any effort to sing and chant mantras must be positive anyway.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

i love Uma Mohan

OM. VAJRA. VISHNUYA. SVAHA
    OM. VAJRA. GARUDA. CALE CALE. HUM PHAT

OM. AMOGHA VAIROCANA. MAHA-MUDRA. MANI PADMA JVALA PRAVARTTAYA. HUM

Om Saha Nau-Avatu |
    Saha Nau Bhunaktu |
    Saha Viiryam Karava-Avahai |
    Tejasvi Nau-Adhii-Tam-Astu Maa Vidviss-Aavahai |
    Om Shaantih Shaantih Shaantih ||

Quote Originally Posted by shian View Post
    i love Uma Mohan
    Namasté shian,

Thank you for the pointer, superb!
    The chant is hypnotic, this made the hair on my back stand on end!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-amY...eature=related

praNAma

mana

"Bolo Ram Jai Jai Ram" by the late, great Jagjit Singh, a blessed soul indeed

Jai Sri Ram
    Sanatana Dharma ki Jai!
    Jai Hanuman

Thread Information