Thread: NOW I get it!

NOW I get it!

Ok I've not gotten around the whole anti-western sentiment but now I understand.

I seen this clip on you tube and understand how people are weary of westerners perverting Sanatana dharma and see where they get a lot of the sterotypes here.

I am not sure what is worse, the burned out pot smoking hippies, the hippies and their public display of affection or the fact this was all done while someone was singing a Harikrishna song

I am so embarrassed and now understand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT5aIfIC-jM

*Edit, apparently the lyrics are pretty subjective despite Krishna and Rama are invoked

Re: NOW I get it!

There are of course some reasons, but is it necessary to put down Westerners coming on this board ? More wisdom would be welcome. I have also plenty of anecdotes from my own experience in India about dubious behaviours of born Hindus even inside temples. I could talk about how many (friendly) born brahmins I have seen eating meat, drinking alcohol, smoking, being money-minded... so I do not not agree with some discriminatory claims about how much "evolved" you have to be to be born in India, on the other hand I would not stoop down to that level and will respect the guidelines of HDF.

I would add that I have met quite a lot of Indians challenged in their identity after coming in the West and that it is often not easy for them. It can take years if not a life to get over it. This is also a reason that can explain the overreaction. It can be a difficult experience for some Indians to be exposed to a hedonist and materialistic environment and deal with people not taking seriously their religious background and manifesting even subconsciously a sense of cultural superiority. So I can understand but I do not approve the form and the frustration, some samskaras have to be exhausted.

Philippe

P.S.: As far as I am concerned, I repeat that I do not want to convert. I have never wanted to do so. Nevertheless Sanatana Dharma is pervading my life and I am in consonance with some views found in conventional Hinduism.
    Last edited by Philippe*; 17 May 2010 at 01:28 PM.

Vannakkam:

I think the western reaction is because of stereotyping. Just because Albertans (my province in Canada) are a bunch of beer swiggin', meat eatin', gun totin' rednecks (They aren't, by the way, but that is the stereotype promoted sometimes) doesn't mean I want to be judged that way.

India is vast. America is vast. Europe is vast. The very terms "Indian, white, western, Hindu," are all stereotypes, or can be used in that way. I take exception to it, as I believe many of us do. We are all individual souls just trying our best to evolve along in some spiritual way, to learn from our mistakes, and better our situations, and knowledge here.

The judge, if there is one, is God, whatever you want to call it, and divine laws like karma.

What man here likes to be accused of being chauvinistic simply because you are a man? Not me.

Life is so much more complex than black and white. What works for some doesn't for others. We need to sit back and appreciate that diversity.

Aum Namasivaya

oh ! you have stumbled upon an old classic hit song of bollywood !! hahaha

well the hippy movement and eastern philosophy were closely related . hipppies adapted indian customs and indian religions and played a crucial role in popularising hinduism in west . this song from 70's just depicts the lifestyle of the hippies from that era .

i think indian people are less irritated with hippies coz no one ever took them seriously . problem lies more with westerners who are more serious about their religion but practise a distorted version of it .

Ok I've not gotten around the whole anti-western sentiment but now I understand.
    Please remember that like the east the west is vast and varied. Just as their are some here who make ignorant assumptions about a culture they know little of, there are also many in the east who make assumptions about us wrongly.

I seen this clip on you tube and understand how people are weary of westerners perverting Sanatana dharma and see where they get a lot of the sterotypes here.
    This song was made for the movie "Hare Rama Hare Krishna" and is written and produced completely by Indian Natives in Hindi. The movie is actually an Indian jab at western culture.

Thread Information