Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to do Puja

Question How to do Puja

Namaste all!

For some reason I've never come round to asking about puja, but it's about time I did.

I'm wondering if someone can explain how one performs puja - both temple and home versions. Are there any proscribed methods, i.e., do you apply sandalwood paste after you wash them, and flowers after that, etc? I don't know much about the upacaras, either. Are all of them required, or are some essential, or can all be left out?

I'm curious, because when I visited the local mandir, I saw different methods of puja. Some would namaste to the devas, others fully prostrated, some rang a bell, others didn't. The mandir is very varied - accepting from all schools of thought, so I was wondering if it depends on one's school?

Are there big differences between home and temple puja?

Thanks!

Re: How to do Puja

Odion: There are several on line versions, and explanations. Here is one:

http://www.himalayanacademy.com/reso.../lg_ch-12.html

The mantras used, the style of worship etc. all have regional and sectarian differences. It may depend which murthis or pictures are on your altar for example. In the end, there are no hard and fast rules, and puja is from the heart. I don't think God or Gods would be offended, as our Gods don't get offended.

if you search on online puja you would get a lot. Temples are diffferent 99% of temple pujas are dome by Brahmin priests, so there wouldn't be much relevance to yourself. Yes, here in the west, many temples have tried to accommodate to all these variances I mentioned before, so you will see it all in a lot of temples. Two simple variances are the way men prostrate, and the which sides of the temple women and men sit on.

If you can tell me the name of the temple you went to, I can tell you more about it, if it has a home page, that is.

Aum Namasivaya

Thank you EM for the info I did a search for online puja and ended up with literally online puja, which was quite interesting.

What variance is there between the way men prostrate, may I ask?

I'm afraid my local temple doesn't have a website. A LOT of places of worship in my city don't have websites, which is a shame! In fact, I think only two do, and they're both Christian churches..

Quote Originally Posted by Odion View Post

What variance is there between the way men prostrate, may I ask?
    Vannakkam again. Typically in North India men bend forward from the knees. In South India it is more common to lay totally flat out on the floor or ground. But many just come in to temple and don't prostrate at all. Another shortcut method in a crowd is to just touch the ground with your hands.

There are smaller variations like what is done with the hands, what direction, as related to the deity, etc.

Aum Namasivaya

the best way to offer respects to a deity in hinduism is full prostation on ground , called saashtaanga pranaam or dandavat pranaam . the next in order is panchanga pranaam , that is , goin down on knees and touching the forehead to the ground . the easier and oft used one is the common namsakar mudra . however it may not be always possible to go in for a full prostration , for example if the temple floor is wet ( common in indian pilgrim sites) .

puja varies largely depending on factors like the sect , region , caste etc . however there are no fixed scriptural rule for the puja that one does at home . it is always done out of love and affection and may be done in any way the devotee wishes .

it is only if you cosecrate or install (prana pratishtha) the images that you have to go in for complete ritualistic worship with brahmins .

for you own home puja you can use fresh flowers , tulsi or bilwa leaves . lamps or candles , incense sticks etc . most families offer some food items and a glass of water to the deity everyday , the remains of which are eaten as prasad .you may chant some basic mantras or a stava or stotra . sit and meditate , do some bhajans etc . you may do a arati after the puja .

normally every family offer a puja to their shrine two times . the morning puja -- usually the more elaborate one with food and stuff and the evening arati ..

Dear Odion,

This is a topic which has not been significantly addressed. It is especially an issue to Western Hindu converts.

There are no guides (as far as I can tell) for doing a home puja. The one that Eastern Mind provided is only for Lord Ganesha. Most Hindus will worship a number of gods on their home altars, and there is no satisfactory explanation of how to do that. In Malaysia, I had a book called "Home Pooja" but I didn't bring it with me. Both the book and the link EM provided seem to focus on puja to one particular God. I know that South Indian Hindus offer the items to each picture on their altar as they go. For instance, they start by offering the incense to the picture (or statue) of Lord Ganesha, and then offer it to the other Gods whose pictures are present on the altar. There is no manual for how to do this, and it is my aim to eventually write one. The thing is, Hindus in different parts of India offer puja very differently. South Indian Hindus offer puja differently to North Indian Hindus, who may offer it differently to East Indian Hindus from Bengal. Another reason why there is no manual is because offering puja is a tradition that is passed on from parents to children. Children in religious families learn how to offer puja from their parents. Therefore, I recommend that you go to your local temple regularly and make friends with the devotees there. You can then ask them for help with offering puja.

The way my wife's grandfather offers puja is as follows. He has a separate room set aside for worship. He has an altar at the front, and you can see a picture of it on the 'types of altars' thread. On the altar there is an oil lamp which he always keeps lit during the day. He also has a picture of Saraswati on a cabinet beside the altar. On the right hand side of the room is a table where he keeps pictures of his deceased parents, wife and brother. There is another oil lamp on that table which is also kept lit during the day. He starts by offering a camphor lamp to his deceased relatives (I think he may also offer incense but I can't be sure). Offering is done by waving the lamp in a counterclockwise circle. He then offers incense, an oil lamp and a camphor lamp to each of the pictures on the altar and the one of Saraswati. He does this by waving each item in a clockwise circle around each picture. At the end, he recites a mantra which was given to him in a dream. I know that it includes "Om Namah Sivaya" and "Om Shakti Om". On Fridays, the worship is more elaborate. He starts by breaking a coconut with the back of a large knife. This is a ritual performed to Lord Ganesha and it represents the breaking of our ego. He rings a small hand bell with his left hand when offering the items on Friday. Others, however, ring the bell every day when performing puja.

But like I said, there are many ways to do it, so make friends with Hindus so you can get advice from someone who's grown up with parents performing puja.

I think there has been a problem here . scottmalaysia's post has got in between my one !!!!!!

satay please take a look .

Thank you so much for your answers, guys!

As long as I'm not performing any faux pas that's alright.

The thing that really got me asking this was when I saw a guy ring the bell, and then move in a clockwise circle in front of each murti, then prostrate in front of them, etc. I'd never seen anyone do it before, and I never saw anyone else do it except him.

When one offers something to the deity, do they say anything or should it be kept silent?

Instead of opening up another thread, do you guys mind if I ask another question, regarding puja? I've been bought a murti of Lord Ganesha by my father for my birthday (on the 26th, so I expect some happy birthdays from you guys! ) - are there any puja rituals required in order to consecrate the murti to the Ganesha for the first time?

Pranam

Vannakam Odion:

It is okay to do silent puja, but usually it is performed in Sanskrit.

As far as consecrating a murthi goes, normally a priest would be hired. It is also common to place a home murthi in a temple with same murthi, so the vibration would rub off.

Aum Namasivaya

namaskar,

What do you mean? Please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by sambya View Post
    I think there has been a problem here . scottmalaysia's post has got in between my one !!!!!!

satay please take a look .
    satay

Thread Information