Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Appalling Denigration of Ramayana by Nina Paley!

Re: Appalling Denigration of Ramayana by Nina Paley!

Odion:

Yes, I really meant 'with regard to other cultures'. I personally believe some Americans believe the world ends at their own borders. I know this is a generalisation, and certainly doesn't apply to all. From here in Canada it is more apparent. There are plenty of mocking Youtube videos portraying this stereotype.

Yet there is the conspiracy theory that the American government has in the past purposely underfunded education to keep their citizens naive so they don't go against Conservative Christian ways. Not sure if I buy that one, but a lot of people opt for private schools when they can afford it.

But itf you don't care about something, then why bother to learn about it. I know very little about the Philippines for example.

Aum Namasivaya

I don't think Nina Paley is unaware though, she is doing this on purpose.

Well this is not new, denigration of hindu religion is very common even in Indian film industries. But what makes me feel helpless is the attitude of hindus towards every act of anti-hindus. Most of Indian movies mock on Hindu rituals, show priests as jokers and try to show how by showing Hindu religion being disrespected a new reform is coming in society. Most films potray muslims or even terrorists as heroes. In real life most of the superstars of indian films are ISI agents, you can see jaya parda, govinda, anil kapoor, anu malik etc dancing in show of daud ebrahmin in Dubai. The same people who were dancing so cheaply in courts of big terrorists like daud ebrahmin go on to become member of parliament in India. (ex jaya parda, govinda). what has happened to us, neither we have respect for Hinduism , nor even for India . shame on congressy and communists.

In a film called 'Lajja' madhuri dixit played the role of sita maa and in one scene she rejects to give agni pariksha, I have no problem If a imaginary heroine rejects to give agni parisksha, but why change the thinking and view of real character like maa janki in reel life ? Have we got the right to potray real life people in false way ? some hindus protested against this filthy movie but most were supportive of it. I am sick of attitude of cool hindus of today, their country and religion is being killed each and every day and they enjoy everything as expression of freedom. At the same time none of the Indian films show the fatwa launching mullas as subject.
    Last edited by isavasya; 07 June 2010 at 10:30 AM.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Yes, she was angry at her husband for choosing the Indian culture and religion over her. She picked up the Ramayana to try to "understand" why he dumped her...

Watch her interviews, she says this over and over again.

But, how could a man stay with a woman who was denigrating God? The answer to her question lies in her own actions.

I posted on one of her videos explaining it to her...I doubt it will change anything. But she claims to be "educated" so perhaps she can understand.

@Isavasya

Bollywood indeed has a trend to show respect towards Christianity and Islam while making fun of Hindu culture and religion. Nobody, except the "cool Indians" think much of bollywood films. Most people think they are eclectic, chaotic, long winded and unoriginal. Many muslims around the world love bollywood though.

@ Nayasurya

Realistically, I think her husband left her because she is not that good looking and because she has many personality flaws. It's a miracle she got married in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Odion:

Yes, I really meant 'with regard to other cultures'. I personally believe some Americans believe the world ends at their own borders. I know this is a generalisation, and certainly doesn't apply to all. From here in Canada it is more apparent. There are plenty of mocking Youtube videos portraying this stereotype.
    Oh, I misunderstood then, sorry. In that case I definitely agree with you here.

Yet there is the conspiracy theory that the American government has in the past purposely underfunded education to keep their citizens naive so they don't go against Conservative Christian ways. Not sure if I buy that one, but a lot of people opt for private schools when they can afford it.
    To be honest I'm not surprised; public schools are usually chaotic, and the whole "should we teach creationism in the science classroom" fiasco is insane. In what is supposed to be the greatest country on Earth at this time we have people expecting a science professor to say "Of course, there is every possibility that God created the world in six days and made man from the ground"? It'd be laughable if it wasn't so worrying.

But itf you don't care about something, then why bother to learn about it. I know very little about the Philippines for example.

Aum Namasivaya
    That's definitely a good point, but what do we do to help those who are genuinely interested learn more? I know a lot of Westerners are who aren't becoming materialists thinking that with death there is nothing are beginning to come closer to Hindu thought, for example pantheism/panentheism, and reincarnation is no longer something that raises an eyebrow, at least, not from my experience anyway (in the UK). There is a lot of misinformation out there after all that come from a superficial understanding of the Dharma.

I do think Nina Paley is doing this deliberately and she is using any criticism to play the martyr. "Those big meanie Hindu fanatics are picking on me and stifling my creativity and free speech!!1" and all that. She is effectively doing a revenge act, by insulting the culture and history that her partner fell in love with, she is also getting back at him, and at the same time attempting to make Hinduism look a backwards, woman-hating, oppressive (and whatever else she can) faith, when we know nothing is further from the truth. Problem is a lot of the public don't..

@Sahasranama I'm afraid I don't think much of a lot of Bollywood films, myself. So many start out good but seem to be dragged out later on. If anyone here can recommend some good (preferably Sanatana Dharma-influenced, respecting, about, or even stories of the history of the Dharma) Bollywood films for a non Indian speaker it'd be great - but that'd probably de-rail the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by isavasya View Post
    Well this is not new, denigration of hindu religion is very common even in Indian film industries. But what makes me feel helpless is the attitude of hindus towards every act of anti-hindus. Most of Indian movies mock on Hindu rituals, show priests as jokers and try to show how by showing Hindu religion being disrespected a new reform is coming in society. Most films potray muslims or even terrorists as heroes. In real life most of the superstars of indian films are ISI agents, you can see jaya parda, govinda, anil kapoor, anu malik etc dancing in show of daud ebrahmin in Dubai. The same people who were dancing so cheaply in courts of big terrorists like daud ebrahmin go on to become member of parliament in India. (ex jaya parda, govinda). what has happened to us, neither we have respect for Hinduism , nor even for India . shame on congressy and communists.

In a film called 'Lajja' madhuri dixit played the role of sita maa and in one scene she rejects to give agni pariksha, I have no problem If a imaginary heroine rejects to give agni parisksha, but why change the thinking and view of real character like maa janki in reel life ? Have we got the right to potray real life people in false way ? some hindus protested against this filthy movie but most were supportive of it. I am sick of attitude of cool hindus of today, their country and religion is being killed each and every day and they enjoy everything as expression of freedom. At the same time none of the Indian films show the fatwa launching mullas as subject.
    How many educated Hindus actually watch Bollywood?

Its always the Muslims and Sikhs who do. Muslims especially and not just Muslims from South Asia but also North Africa, Arabia, Iran and even Central Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    Nina Paley is a bitter, ignorant anglo who was dumped by email by her husband while she was peddling this movie to producers in New York.
    That is precisely it. Well said!

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar_Das View Post
    LOL old stuff. Its a hilarious movie. I like the music score and the narration. The narrations especially were absolutely hilarious.
    Since you "LOL" like the movie, you must be a fan of Nina Paley as well. What about MF Husain? You "LOL" love his work too? LOL.. LOL.. LOLOL...

Arrow Re: Appalling Denigration of Ramayana by Nina Paley!

Namaste

This will be ONLY my opinion & I'm NOT on Nina Paley's side.

So you know I started to watch that movie to actually know what everyone's talking about. Today I almost finished it, but my computer is noit working & my mom's not working, so we use the very old one.... But I saw most of the movie and must say:

Latvia, the country I live in, is very secular country. Many people are in church just because, but they don't care about religion (besides kids now very rude curse words by the age of 7, right now).
    If latvians would watch this movie, they wouldn't take it seriously, they would only think about it as parody. And I must say any open-minded teen/adult would never think this is true represention of story. More likely they would want to find the real story and compare. As I have lived in secular world, but when someone is mean to my favorite religion, I'm so angry and try to change that.
    Reasons why people will not think this is true:
    #1: Title of movie is Sita sings the blues, real story is called Ramayana. Even if movie would be called something like The New Ramayana or anything like that people of other faiths would still understand that it's not true story.
    #2: Story telling. Movies with story tellers who argue are not taken seriously.
    #3: Different graphics: When movie has different graphics and drawings all the time it's not taken seriously.
    #4: She put her own break-up in this movie. In this case this is made clearly thast story she's telling is not real Ramayana.

Read comments on youtube, people who watched this movie would like to read real epic Ramayana.

I remember to find about muslims and their prophet's head on dog's body. And atheist compared to hindus saying, that even though hindus are not allowed to eat beef meat, they don't go into McDonald and say you can't eat it.

I understand Rama is one of Vishnu's avataras, but remember if you are against this movie, just don't care about it. REMEMBER haters make someone more famous then he/she is. I didn't know this movie until you told me.

I wouldn't want kids to watch this, not because they would believe that it's true story of Rama & Sita, but for other reasons...

And also, remember ahimsa (non-violence by words, what you do or what you think) and remember we still have fairness in world, we have karma. She already is in debt, because of this movie. Besides she doesn't represent Hinduism as bad as religious peoples who actually believe what they tell everyone. She read the Ramayana, because it's really popular love story in Sanathana Dharma, so she decided to make fun of it to get back at her husband.

I have read much, much worse things about India (when I went to private school, school had bankrupt and church bought it. In church newspaper there was really bad article about India...) but Sanathana Dharma is really great and beautiful religion and it's religion.

And as I said, I don't take this movie seriously at all.

Sorry, if you really disagree with me.

Have a nice day,
    ~Alice

Thread Information