Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 133

Thread: Why all the Missionaries here

  1. #1
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    tadvishno paramam padam
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,168
    Rep Power
    2539

    Why all the Missionaries here

    Namaste Christians,

    I was wondering why so many Christians register at Hindu forums. Is the company of your fellow Christianmen not enough for your spiritual progress?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,191
    Rep Power
    5026

    Re: Namaste Christians

    Vannakkam Sahasranama:

    Yes it is frustrating. I share that. But from the Christians perspective, it is his dharma (duty in Xian terms) to try to spread the gospel, or convert. Fortunately for us, many Christians take this duty lightly, and therefore aren't so annoying. Personally, I hope they keep it up, because intelligent people see the ridiculousness of the whole thing, and turn away from Christianity altogether because of it. So, in a longer term the strategy does exactly the opposite of what its intended to do. For every convert outside of predominantly Christian countries, another 5 or so drop out of it. You can witness that on these forums over and over.

    "I'm fed up with Christianity. It no longer makes any sense to me at all. I've been looking around and SD seems to make so much more sense." Then we go on to welcome them home in a polite way. There is no comparison at all. One is rude, forceful, and irritating as heck. The other is polite, humble, and welcoming to all. The day that Hinduism starts proseletysing like that is the day I go looking for a new religion.

    Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by Eastern Mind; 12 June 2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: sp

  3. #3
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,191
    Rep Power
    5026

    Re: Namaste Christians

    Vannakkam again:

    If people wouldn't engage in dialogue, they'd just go on their merry (sarcasm intended) ways.

    Aum Saravanabhava

  4. #4
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    tadvishno paramam padam
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,168
    Rep Power
    2539

    Re: Namaste Christians

    I think the presence of christians here at Hindu Dharma Forums is shifting the conversations more towards christianity and islam, rather than Sanatana Dharma.

    I would not discourage non Hindus to register at Hindu websites, of course. But I would think that the theme of Hindu website would remain Hinduism and not christianity or jesus. Like you have said many times, christianity is irrelevant to Hindus.

    I don't think it's our job to show christians that what they believe it wrong. We don't believe in that stuff, if other people believe that stuff, we should respect that, but do we really want to hear about it constantly on a Hindu forum? There are enough christian forums on the net, good Hindu forums like this one are very rare.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    April 2006
    Location
    New Hampshire USA
    Age
    77
    Posts
    143
    Rep Power
    38

    Re: Namaste Christians

    Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    I think the presence of christians here at Hindu Dharma Forums is shifting the conversations more towards christianity and islam, rather than Sanatana Dharma.

    I would not discourage non Hindus to register at Hindu websites, of course. But I would think that the theme of Hindu website would remain Hinduism and not christianity or jesus. Like you have said many times, christianity is irrelevant to Hindus.

    I don't think it's our job to show christians that what they believe it wrong. We don't believe in that stuff, if other people believe that stuff, we should respect that, but do we really want to hear about it constantly on a Hindu forum? There are enough christian forums on the net, good Hindu forums like this one are very rare.
    I haven't seen any evidence of a shift. I suppose it is a matter of sensitivity. For a puritan any presence is too much.

    The reality is that I as a christian am not able to speak about Hindu topics with any level of understanding. The Christian forum on here gives me an ability to talk to Hindus about something of which I have knowledge.

    I doubt this is the case. Hindus might think Christianity isn't relevant but God does not see it that way.

    As for the OP, there is no question that Jesus has commanded us to preach the gospel to everyone. However a message that does not produce understanding is less effective. For that reason there is a need to reach some common ground where the message can have the desired result. Most Christians in the past have thought of the desired result as conversion but I don't see that as an absolute necessity.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    St. Augustine, FL, USA
    Age
    46
    Posts
    254
    Rep Power
    351

    Re: Namaste Christians

    Quote Originally Posted by jaggin View Post
    As for the OP, there is no question that Jesus has commanded us to preach the gospel to everyone.
    And that commandment is an exhortation to evil and wickedness, and should be opposed as such. Proselytism is a form of "hate speech," as it presupposes that the other person is "wrong" and that their religion is "false." It's high-time that non-Christians stopped treating these kinds of attempts to destroy our religions with politeness.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    January 2010
    Location
    tadvishno paramam padam
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,168
    Rep Power
    2539

    Re: Namaste Christians


    I doubt this is the case. Hindus might think Christianity isn't relevant but God does not see it that way.


    I am glad you were able to have a conversation with God.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    November 2009
    Age
    35
    Posts
    839
    Rep Power
    1020

    Re: Namaste Christians

    Sahasranama, are there a lot of Christians on HDF? I never noticed. I've only talked to three or so in my time here.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaggin View Post
    I doubt this is the case. Hindus might think Christianity isn't relevant but God does not see it that way.
    Do keep in mind that any acceptance of this statement on our parts is predicated on our agreeing that your Bible accurately represents God. Just about no one here believes in the Bible. One might as well be coming here and talking about space aliens and tin foil hats. The reason we take you seriously is because your beliefs were impressed upon you by your Christian culture and aren't simply the result of delusion or mental illness. But that doesn't make them any more reasonable from an objective standpoint.

    Quote Originally Posted by jaggin View Post
    As for the OP, there is no question that Jesus has commanded us to preach the gospel to everyone. However a message that does not produce understanding is less effective. For that reason there is a need to reach some common ground where the message can have the desired result. Most Christians in the past have thought of the desired result as conversion but I don't see that as an absolute necessity.
    Heh, sure, whatever you say. Actually Jaggin, I like you much more than the evangelicals in your faith. I don't think you have the superiority complex that they possess. But you do remind me very much of the "emergent Church" movement in America, which tries to hold on to evangelical dogmatism at an intellectual level, while minimizing the offensive aspects of Christianity, and ultimately they preach such an obfuscated message that they end up saying nothing at all. You hold to a religion whose scriptures prescribe condemnation for all non-believers, and I think you recognize that there's something wrong with this belief. Thus you tend to de-emphasize that part of your faith, while still intellectually assenting to it (I think). From what I can tell you do hold to evangelical dogmas, but I doubt that any Hindu will ever become a Christian because of you. For that, you have my sincere thanks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    September 2007
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    66
    Posts
    7,191
    Rep Power
    5026

    Re: Namaste Christians

    Quote Originally Posted by sanjaya View Post
    Sahasranama, are there a lot of Christians on HDF? I never noticed. I've only talked to three or so in my time here.
    Vannakkam Sanjaya: I agree there are few. However, I was 'accused' (I mean the chap just said he thought I was a Christian) of it the other day in a PM sent to me by another member. Do I come across as a Christian to you? Maybe its because sometimes people do a typo and call me Easter Mind. I sure hope its not because of my skin colour although I have been accused of being a Christian for that reason before. What do you think?

    Aum Namasivaya

  10. #10

    Re: Namaste Christians

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Do I come across as a Christian to you? Maybe its because sometimes people do a typo and call me Easter Mind. I sure hope its not because of my skin colour although I have been accused of being a Christian for that reason before. What do you think?

    Aum Namasivaya
    I hear you on the skin color thing, Eastern Mind. Something I deal with almost daily (but not from other Hindus).

    For my part, I would never think you were a Christian. But your calm demeanor and openness to all might come across as a tacit approval of other views to those who are more, shall we say, bold in expressing their opinions. To me, though, it's refreshing.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •