Thread: Yama 5 - Kshama, Patience

Yama 5 - Kshama, Patience

YAMA 5 — Kshama, Patience

Exercise patience, restraining intolerance with people and impatience with circumstances. Be agreeable. Let others behave according to their nature, without adjusting to you. Don't argue, dominate conversations or interrupt others. Don't be in a hurry. Be patient with children and the elderly. Minimize stress by keeping worries at bay. Remain poised in good times and bad.

How does patience help in daily lives? For starters, it reduces conflict. Parenting, teaching, fixing broken machinery, being stuck in traffic jams, and all the other little daily annoyances are gone, if we practice this yama. I personally believe patience is intricately tied to the belief in reincarnation. My Guru's Guru used to repeat, "No hurry, no worry." That pretty much sums it up.

I am interested in hearing any personal testimony on how this yama, or any other affected anyone in a beneficial way.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Yama 5 - Kshama, Patience

When living in London I was accustomed to almost run through the metro (tube), as part of the flow of how people would rush from one place to another in a big city, I guess. Once there was an old man, walking slowly down the steps one by one holding the banister and my run came to a dead stop behind him, I said "excuse me" and he said "why?"

I haven't been able to forget that moment or that man as I had no decent answer as to why he should have moved for me in the metro that day and I still don't.

Nice post EM. And may I never forget that lesson that day.

Vannakkam Snip:

Thank you. Personal stories make all this high-falutin' philosophy much more real. So God came and questioned you with one simple word, and you learned a life lesson. Nice.

Aum Namasivaya

When it comes to children, I have this all figured out. My patience is completely whole. It makes my husband strive harder to find such a thing. With the elderly, again I have perfected this.

When my children were swarmed by hornets nest I carry them both in with bare arms and rest them in the tub and turn on frigid water which cause the bees to become dormant. When an elderly client stroked without warning I worked so calmly that the clients life was saved. He lived many years after this episode because of calm and understanding. Such is the way this Mother operates most days.

But with myself...this lesson is lost. For always with this spirit, I work and push...and force myself into situations God is not prepared yet for me.

This has manifested by an abusive marriage...when I should have waited...but I was in the hurry to find the truth.

This has caused detours in this life, ones that God did not create, but my own bull headed, passionate and short of patience personality caused.

Blessed Siva has always steered me back to center...though it has taken years for such things.

In being impatient I have caused delays...so the lesson is hard won.

Where I have given patience to the young and old...I had not afforded it to my own being.

Patience is the lesson of this lifetime.

Thank each of you, for helping me learn this by observation.

One day, may I drum up this thread, with my declaration that I have finally attained this as you have EM.

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post

One day, may I drum up this thread, with my declaration that I have finally attained this as you have EM.
    Vannakkam: God forbid I have not attained anything. Where in heck would you get that impression? I do think I'm slightly better at it that I used to be, but still there are days. When you're tired, and burned out, and somebody says something stupid, well.... lol.

Like this morning ... I worked hard for about two weeks building a deer fence so the whole temple property was surrounded by fence so the deer wouldn't be able to come in and eat the vegetables and the lilies. They have a whole city of ravines, and it rained a lot this spring. However, there is one entrance still ... the front gate off the street ... the board and i decided to make a sign, so I made a sign.. Please Close Gate Each Night .. but now it's festival time, and guess what.. when I go over there early in the morning, the gate is wide open. No deer yet, but if they ever do arrive, it'll be trouble. They'll most likely go bouncing into the ravine and get stuck in the deer fence. Then I'm gonna buy myself a gun, I say, and I'm gonna sit out there all night in the bushes tio see who the ______ is that leaves the damn gate open... the gun will be for him, not for the deer. Yes siree! Patience, my behind!

PS: You should google satellite it to have a look at this nice property. 128 Running Creek Road

Aum Namasivaya

I did, the Temple is magnificent! Very beautiful wilderness surounding it too.

I can see a fence and hedges along the left side against the parking lot and the left side of the temple (i suppose that's the western side?)

You know, if you buy a gallon of coyote pee, I know it's gross...but deer will absolutely not cross near to it.

I sprayed coyote pee on my property last year, about half an acre (because the other half of our property is forest).

Even now, they have not crossed into my yard. Infact it keeps them away from even my neighbors.

It costs about 20$ with shipping. Just be warned...stay down wind from it while spraying.

Whatever you do, down wind!!

Thread Information