Thread: Today I learnt something

Today I learnt something

There are certain situations that show who are the wolves and who are the jackals.

Re: Today I learnt something

Vannakkam Kumar Das:

There is something similar in the statement, "All men are teachers. Some teach you what to do. Others teach you what not to do."

But as far as the showing wolves, and jackals by behaviour, it is not always so clear. At least not for me. I recall in my school days where one group thought they were cool and the 'others' were uncool. Only later in life when I actually talked to one of the formerly 'uncools' did I learn that the cool group was thought of as uncool. So it kind of comes down to pointing fingers.

"You're the baby."
    "No you're the baby."
    "You're even worse than a baby." etc etc. which is what happens when emotions come into play, and people involved are unable to look in a mirror. I mean, how many divorces or friendship breakups have the individual stood up and said, "This was my fault,"? Pride is a tough pill to swallow. There is also attachment involved. Giving up a previously 'learned' concept can be difficult to do. "You can't teach an old dog new tricks."

I think so much depends on the preset conditioning in a state of mind before entering debate.

The other thing I believe that most of us forget on here is mood. Perhaps someone is travelling and overhears a nasty comment directed at Hindus, so then gets on here and goes overboard bashing Christianity. Or perhaps someone didn't get a good night's sleep. They come on, and the words don't flow like they usually do, they make some generalisation, or forget to say, "in my opinion" and then are taken to task for it. After all, we're all human. I think we need to consider that people here have moods, may have social disorders, difficulty communicating, or overzealous egos from basic insecurity. Because of mood, they can contradict themselves from day to day, but more likely month to month. In this way we can feel more compassion for our fellow poster.

But your statement reflects one of the first powers of yoga, the power of observation. I think it better to sit back and watch and try to learn something rather than engage in emotionally charged debate.

Aum Namasivaya

There are wolves, jackals but what do they eat? Deer?

So then let me be the deer that is smart enough to live in a nature reserve.:P

There was this women's forum I was a part of for a short time. They could not respect my decision to abstain from getting drunk and so one had come to me and told me of a secret plan they had to switch out my normal fruity virgin drinks with alcohol.

But one of them was very unstable, pretty miserable person all the way around. Nothing pleased her, and everyone...even her closest friends were subjected to it.

She came on one time and began berating everyone in the forum. But several ladies had finally had it and asked her to stop. She said...

"If you're my friend then you will put up with my instability and anger towards you... like it or not!"

I went in and said...if you were a true friend...and full well admitting to us you are aware of this behavior then you would stay away from us when you felt you would hurt us uneccessarily. True friends aware of a certain mood to attack innocents would never come here and say such a thing!

Now you can see this is two sided...one side she felt justified to abuse us all...for absolutely no reason. But on the other hand, we had a right to protect ourselves from the situation.

She came back to the thread and said, "I am a ******* and you all know it...and if you want to be my friend that means I am going to treat you this way!"

Then I said, "We are not friends if you treat me this way." So then I was not her friend. No big loss and I no longer suffered having to deal with her.

Removal of yourself from the sights of such a creature without harming them can be tricky, but if you can manage it...then by all means do so.

Vannakkam Naya:

Yes, it all depends on the degrees of the moods, doesn't it? Yours was an extreme example, and I would have done exactly the same. I was more referring to the minor mood switches, but I'm guessing you already know that. At least you were upfront and honest before 'divorcing' the relationship in a clear way. Show professionalism.

Aum Namasivaya

Yes you addressed the petty ones like we would have in forums where the contact was not so intimate and I was addressing those more intimate situations as when crazy women devise a plan to switch your drinks to alcohol and steal you away to an exotic club.

Our posts are like the beginnings of a handbook for interpersonal relationship!

Quote Originally Posted by Kumar_Das View Post
    There are certain situations that show who are the wolves and who are the jackals.
    Do you have a specific situation in mind that you'd like to share? If not, that's fine too!

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

Some say , there are no friends nor enemies, but conditions that attract or repel us. It is self-interest that determines friend or foe.

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by NayaSurya View Post
    Yes you addressed the petty ones like we would have in forums where the contact was not so intimate and I was addressing those more intimate situations as when crazy women devise a plan to switch your drinks to alcohol and steal you away to an exotic club.

Our posts are like the beginnings of a handbook for interpersonal relationship!
    Namaste Naya

Recently Jeffrey Archer was in India and he said that he wanted to be traffic minister of India so that he could set right the roads, rules, and traffic. He said that he had never seen such mad traffic anywhere.

Correct. In another thread, there was a question why India has no football representation. I have got the answer. Indians in metro cities play football, driving their cars, with players many times more than 22 and goal posts many times more than just 2. There are very few referees however.

And actually, life can also be like that -- a very rough football game with infinite number of players and infinite goal posts; with no referee at all. Some may change a glass water to alcohol or worse. And some player may just dribble past you. Some may tackle you from behind and make you fall on your face. But there is one commonality: all are moving furiously but not towards one goal post; different people aiming for different goal posts. Some may shift other peoples goal posts. Some may put a goal post where the ball is. And scientists thought that Brownian motion applies to particles only?

Just imagine the above.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 21 June 2010 at 05:17 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

That is a very good way to explain it.<3

Those clouded by the darkness of ignorance or mental illness may not even realize such a game exists...they spend their days knocking others off their mark before such a shot is made. Sometimes even without understanding they have.

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namast

Some say , there are no friends nor enemies, but conditions that attract or repel us. It is self-interest that determines friend or foe.

praṇām
    A very interesting concept indeed.

As limited beings as we are, we should refrain from trying to make everything related to us absolute.

We're fortunate to have Sanatana Dharma to unite so many into a single goal.

Thread Information