Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iskcon clarification

Re: Iskcon clarification

hi seth .

then perhaps ramakrishna mission would suit your purpose . but living the hindu way of life includes dressing , food , lifestyle etc . in ramakrishna mission stress is layed on spiritual practice and god realization than external details . so i guess you might have to personally let them know about your demands to enable them to help you out .

RKM spreads the message of vedanta , which is the central doctrine of hinduism often interpreted in the light of teachings of their founders . they do not proselytize .
    na kAshthe vidyate devo na shilAyam kadAchana
    bhAve hi vidyate devas-tasmAd-bhAvam samAcharet

Vegetarianism being tied to "higher spirituality" is only one particular strand of thought in Sanatan Dharma. The overall theme behind this is "tyag" or renunciation. So in this frame of mind where everyone should be striving towards "how much can I tyag" leaves people with a mindset almost similar to "original sin" in Abrahamic religions; wherein people find themselves developing guilty conscience over doing simple natural things.

Larger society has settled on renouncing meat in general or renouncing beef at least. I guess this is possible to be implemented across a broader spectrum. Still, the emphasis on tyag remains. The one who has renounced beef is above one who hasn't, one who has renounced meat altogether is above the meat-eater who refrains from beef and twice above the unhindered meat-eater. Above them is the one who has renounced sex, a roof over his head, maybe even two square meals a day, etc.

It starts getting to the point of absurdity if you ask me. The path of tyag is not for everyone, so why instill a guilty complex in society at large for not being tyagi enough? There is potential for moksha-prapti in bhog as well. Do not burden the mind of a householder with the idea that sex is only for procreation. Neither husband nor wife will ever truly reach the ideal of highest loving union. Do not burden the nation with the idea of renunciation of meat is a higher calling. India will continue to embarrass itself in the Olympics and other truly global sporting competitions like soccer.

Part of me feels that the percentage of Hindus that were not encumbered by tyagi mentality became much higher after interactions with Abrahamics.
    Last edited by redifflal; 17 October 2013 at 06:57 PM.

Smile Re: Iskcon clarification

Namaste ,

In hindu sanatana dharma , non-vegetrian diet is not allowed ! If you want to follow hindu dharma, you should follow the rules of sd strictly . There is no excuse for it ..

All other sects of hindu dharma also don't allow meat eating. However you should follow any other vedic sect other than iskcon, if you really want to know what is sanatana dharma and how to follow it . Because Iskcon doesn't have origin in veda.

Dhanyavad !

Quote Originally Posted by redifflal View Post
    Do not burden the nation with the idea of renunciation of meat is a higher calling. India will continue to embarrass itself in the Olympics and other truly global sporting competitions like soccer.
    Vannakkam: Not sure I understand this. Are you saying vegetarians can't be great athletes? If so, I'd like to dispute it, as there have been many great athletes who were vegetarians.
    http://www.mnn.com/food/healthy-eati...eat/joe-namath is just one link for proof.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

Not sure if the purpose of the above new posts was to "educate" the OP, or to just restart the debate for current members.

The OP and the members who replied earlier have been gone for 2-3 years after attaining enlightenment as a result of their discussions in this forum.

And vegetarianism has been discussed in several other threads since then.

Pranam.

PS, You can't put the cart before the horse. Increase in one's devotion would cause him/her to change his/her dietary habits. There is no point in forcing anything on oneself, it must come from within.
    http://hindudharmaforums.com/showpos...2&postcount=18

Vannakkam Believer et al: Indeed, there was a 3 year jump there, and the moderators could have deleted any posts based on the 'don't restart old threads' rule. But the new member who joined just now most likely hasn't read through all the previous stuff. That's why I jumped in. But I see your point too.

Aum Namasivaya

hari o
    ~~~~~~
    namasté

Quote Originally Posted by hinduism♥krishna View Post
    Namaste ,

In hindu sanatana dharma , non-vegetrian diet is not allowed ! If you want to follow hindu dharma, you should follow the rules of sd strictly . There is no excuse for it ..

All other sects of hindu dharma also don't allow meat eating.
    Someone should soon inform the aghori's of the ~rule~, no ?

iti śivaṁ
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Sri Matre Namaha,

with due respects to all the members on this thread and meaning no offense I can say that eating non vegetarian food is bad for health over a period of time but it is not entirely true that SD doesn't allow eating meat.

What is more important is eating Satvik food and avoiding tamasic food. All vegetarian food is not Satvik

Even from a dharma stand point, there is a reference and I picked it from Kamakoti Mandali website.

mantreNAsaMskR^itaM mAMsaM nAdyAdvipraH kalau yuge |
    yajne to prAkR^itaM mAmsamashnIyAdvidhichoditam

But giving up meat even in such cases is described as extraordinarily meritorious..

na mAmsabhakShaNe doSho na madye na cha maithune |
    pravR^ittireShA bhUtAnAM nivR^ittistu mahAphalA || [manuH]

Back in India, veg/non veg is an individual choice these days and it is hard to find who are purely vegetarians like those who do not eat mushrooms and the like.

Regards,
    Rameeshh
    Last edited by kriyarameeshh; 21 October 2013 at 05:11 AM.
    Sivoham

That, which is the cause for the entire Cosmos to be as it is, is Mahamaya the divine player.

Rameeshh

Thread Information