Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yama 9, Mitahara, Moderate appetite

Re: Yama 9, Mitahara, Moderate appetite

Vannakkam Sahasranama: The sugar in Coke and other soft drinks is poison enough for me never to drink it, but the other poisons make it even worse. Maybe this knowledge will get a few people to stop drinking it. Indian soft drinks are much sweeter than western ones. Profit over people is somewhere below the muladhara, I'm just not sure where.

The upside is the increase in bottled water consumption all over. Back a few hundred years ago when I was young water in a bottle would be unheard of.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam: And then there's substitute sugar ... http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...ed-weight-gain

Seems we cannot win when it comes to food.

Aum Namasivaya

Yet there's nothing like the sheer energy one feels one eating a maha-prasada.

There's an older devotee friend of mine that whenever he sees sodas and these too-sweet, too-spicy foods he says: "This is Kali Yuga food! Only Kali Yuga for people to consume this!"

I crack up every time he says that.

Namast, all,

This is a topic of particular interest to me, as moderation in appetite has always been difficult. I have had a strong appetite since very young and often feel a sense of fear when a long time without food. A focus in my current sādhanā is mitahara indeed, to build trust and to understand that a delay between meals is not a cause for panic...

Yajvan, in post #22 you wrote: There are many words that come from the ved that do in fact speak for sanātana dharma in whole; I will be happy to give you several examples if you wish.

The minute you mention the ved, my ears perk up...
    Do you mean verses in general, or verses that specifically apply to this matter of moderation? I am interested either way, but would be especially curious if they related to the topic at hand. Would you be willing to provide those examples you mentioned earlier?

(Thank you also for referencing the Chāndogya Upaniṣad; it is a story I was not currently thinking about, but is certainly helpful to me at present.)

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namasté Indraneela

Quote Originally Posted by Indraneela View Post
    This is a topic of particular interest to me, as moderation in appetite has always been difficult. I have had a strong appetite since very young and often feel a sense of fear when a long time without food. A focus in my current sādhanā is mitahara indeed, to build trust and to understand that a delay between meals is not a cause for panic...

Yajvan, in post #22 you wrote: There are many words that come from the ved that do in fact speak for sanātana dharma in whole; I will be happy to give you several examples if you wish.
    Do you mean verses in general, or verses that specifically apply to this matter of moderation? I am interested either way, but would be especially curious if they related to the topic at hand. Would you be willing to provide those examples you mentioned earlier?
    Let me offer a few principles that are universal in nature no matter what views of sanātana dharma one wishes to pursue ,
    this wisdom is timeless and unbounded :

It is the following from the from the ṛg veda I.164.46, and ṛṣi dīrghatamas.

He informs us:
    indraṃ mitraṃ varuṇamaghnimāhuratho divyaḥ sa suparṇo gharutmān |
    ekaṃ sad viprā bahudhā vadantyaghniṃ yamaṃ mātariśvānamāhuḥ ||

The key words here are eka sad viprā bahudhā
    • ekaṃ = eka = one, single
    • sad = sat सत् = that which really is , entity or existence , essence , the true being or really existent; in vedānta this is the self-existent or Supreme, brahman
    • viprā = vipra विप्र- a ṛṣi, sage, a brahmin ( the knowers of Truth)
    • bahudhā बहुधा-variously; in many ways or parts or forms or directions , manifoldly
    • divyaḥ = divya दिव्य divine , heavenly , celestial , the divine beings; deva-s
    Hence this says, Truth (sad - existence , essence, brahman) is One ( eka ), the sages (vipra - ṛṣi-s) call it variously (bahudhā).

He mentions the 'divyaḥ' as indra, mitra, varuṇa, agni, etc. that these are some of the names the ṛṣi may use to describe
    the Supreme i.e. He is known by various (bahudhā) names and forms.

No matter what POV you have of sanātana dharma, your existence even to dis-agree or agree on this matter is based
    upon sat , existence itself ( some prefer to call sattā ). What part of sanātana dharma cannot exist without sat itself?

There are others, yet best to go slow on this matter.

praām
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 April 2011 at 04:53 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

Hence this says, Truth (sad - existence , essence, brahman) is One ( eka ), the sages (vipra - ṛṣi-s) call it variously (bahudhā).

He mentions the 'divyaḥ' as indra, mitra, varuṇa, agni, etc. that these are some of the names the ṛṣi may use to describe
    the Supreme i.e. He is known by various (bahudhā) names and forms.
    Now there are some views of Creation in sanātana dharma that do not recognize a God (as a creator). Even if this is one's view, the ṛg veda quote still holds true because it is grounded in existence. If one chooses not to recognize a Lord, fine. Yet how can one deny existence itself and still be able to speak in the hear and now ? That would be a contradiction , no?
    That is why ṛṣi dīrghatamas says the sages (vipra - ṛṣi-s) call it variously (bahudhā).

praām
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 April 2011 at 06:47 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

decreasing food intake without sacrificing nutrients increases longevity.
    Google and find out
    rk

Quote Originally Posted by rkpande View Post
    decreasing food intake without sacrificing nutrients increases longevity.
    Google and find out
    rk
    I think that's the opinion of Ayurveda as well.

Thread Information