Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hindus welcome Unitarian Universalist interest in Hinduism - Webnewswire.com

Re: Hindus welcome Unitarian Universalist interest in Hinduism - Webnewswire.com

Vannakkam Storm:

Thank you for your honest answers. I hope you are doing okay with number 4 then, and don't personally have contradicting beliefs. No one wants to live a life of confusion because they don't know what they believe. I've seen it happen. Mostly souls who thought they'd lost or remolded a belief, but then when something stressful comes along, they morphed back to the original, and it was kind of like "Oh, oh, where am I?"

One example is the marriage vow. A person gets to thinking they are invincible in their faith to one other person for life. Then this other person comes along to test that, and it's "Well, maybe adultery isn't such a grave misdeed after all."

I had a relative who was all for cremation, until he was about to die, and changed his mind and spoke it verbally to a couple of people, even though he had a living will for cremation. His confusion put the family through unnecessary debate and more grief, even though it wasn't intended at all.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Hindus welcome Unitarian Universalist interest in Hinduism - Webnewswire.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam Storm:
    What does that mean?

Thank you for your honest answers.
    Any time. If you have any more questions, I welcome them.

If you're interested, I can also give my personal thoughts on the ones you already asked.

I hope you are doing okay with number 4 then, and don't personally have contradicting beliefs. No one wants to live a life of confusion because they don't know what they believe. I've seen it happen. Mostly souls who thought they'd lost or remolded a belief, but then when something stressful comes along, they morphed back to the original, and it was kind of like "Oh, oh, where am I?"
    I've seen it too, and it's sad. No worries, though.

One example is the marriage vow. A person gets to thinking they are invincible in their faith to one other person for life. Then this other person comes along to test that, and it's "Well, maybe adultery isn't such a grave misdeed after all."
    Indeed.

I'm a hardliner on adultery. If you're not cut out for monogamy, don't promise to be monogamous.

I had a relative who was all for cremation, until he was about to die, and changed his mind and spoke it verbally to a couple of people, even though he had a living will for cremation. His confusion put the family through unnecessary debate and more grief, even though it wasn't intended at all.
    That strikes me an odd thing to change your mind on. May I ask why he did?

Aum Namasivaya
    We do not fear the night, who have loved the stars so fondly.

Hello Storm:

Vannakkam is the Tamil version of Namaste, I use it because that's the tradition I follow. Tamil Saivism.

My uncle lived his long life as an avowed communist/atheist. In the weeks before death, he regressed back to his very early Christian programming I presume. Maybe he got scared of th idea there was nothing. I don't really know. I wasn't in the middle of the matter. I know in the end they buried his ashes as a compromise. But in no way are honourable Hindus out to encourage confusion. That is why we discourage conversion unless the person has very clear intents and really knows what they want.

Many Christians upset with their faith take on a Guru as sort of a living Christ-figure, not understanding that that is not what a true Guru is at all. Then they run into discipline as suggested by Yamas or Niyamas or by the Guru, and then they hop over to another guru who requires less discipline of them. Nobody likes to be dealt the card of 'hard work' of serious sadhana. QWell, indeed, some people do, I guess, fortunately. They become our new pillars.

Aum Namasivaya

Vannakkam Storm.

Just as a side story, my daughter attended a few UU meetings in her city but found it too much when they had a turkey Thanksgiving feast, as this didn't fit with her staunch vegetarianism, and she got disgusted. Some would say she was intolerant, I suppose, but each one has moral lines to draw.

Aum Namasivaya

We have many vegetarians and vegans, but we try to cater to everyone.

Growing up pagan we had tonnes of friends that were UU. I have been to a few UU churches and I honestly couldn't make heads or tales of it. One Church I attended was so heavily influenced by Christianity our friend jokes my church is for pagans with a guilty christian conscience. As they wanted and felt pagan yet their roots forbad them from taking too many steps from christ. Yet others I've attended were neo-pagan/ new-age in every sense of the titles.

I have also seen quite a few home alters as well. It's like a who's who of faith at a party. You see statues of the Virgin Mary next to Tara, and then kicking it in the smoking section is Siva chatting with Christ on the cross with the green man listening in and usually in the middle you have buddha trying to ignore the rest of the party. The alway prevalent smell of nagchampa wafering in the air and enough crystals and semi precious stones to open a small jewelry store.

I'm not knocking it, just a fascinating and sometimes odd mix almost to a point of paradox and conflicting view points rolled in one. I personally am not a fan of what appears to be a pick and choose faith. I feel you can't take all the good from all the religions to suits you. You have to take the good with the bad, this is what gives us faith. I'm afraid that the more Hinduism is absorbed into this doctrine it will loose what makes it what it is. If you want to incorporate hinduism into your life, become hindu, don't sit on the fence and take only a small part and dispose of the rest.

Tell me, Darji, do you find bashing other people's religion effective, or is it just for fun?

If I started making fun of Hindus for worshiping cows and statues (which is about as accurate as what you've posted), and saying you should just convert to my religion, would you listen?

Vannakkam Storm:

I didn't see much bashing. There were lots of "I'm not knocking it," and "it's interesting". Since when is saying, "It's not for me' bashing. From that point of view, I'm bashing it, and you're bashing Hinduism. Darji is just basing his comments on what he has seen, and you say yourself that each congregation in UU is very different. I've never even been to a UU meeting, nor will I be. From the little conversations I've had with you and the fact that my personal search was over 35 years ago, I see no need in exploring another faith. Perhaps I'm being a basher too.

Aum namasivaya

Like EM says, there's no bashing in there. I was merely expressing what I have seen and experienced and in the end gave my view, which I maintain.

"saying you should just convert to my religion"

I didn't say that, it is my view that we should not take a full and complete religion/ philosophy be it Hinduism (which is the topic at hand), Buddhism, Taoism, abrahamic faith or any other religion, and only take from it that which suits us and toss the rest into the bin. If you find the religion/ philosophy worthy enough to take from, is it not worthy enough to give your fully undivided attention, study and practice?

I have several wonderful friends who are UU that constantly tried to get me to come to their church saying it was not Christian. But the truth is going to a UU church is a mixed bag. Some are more liberal...some are not.

You just do not know what sort of church you will get until you get there. I looked at that website a long while ago when my friend suggested it and read the "scriptures section" Their curiculums for children are also used by the united church of Christ.

http://www.uua.org/religiouseducatio...le/index.shtml

Now, while I am not saying someone who reads the bible is wrong...I will say that my vision of UU was changed by the websites embracing of christianity and the bible.

http://www.uua.org/publications/pamp...s/151245.shtml

Honestly, there's nothing wrong with being Christian, but as a Hindu individual I found it absolutely not for me or my children.

UU accepts other paths, but it uses christian scriptures for it's foundation...among other abrahamic trads. It would be like the Jehova's witnesses opening up their doors and accepting everyone of every belief in...but in the sunday school classes they teach children from the watch tower booklets.

UU's that accept the bible as holy scripture are behaving as a Christian platform to bring in wayward individuals and shelter then under an umbrella of Christian beliefs....which would cause a conflict for anyone such as myself.

Our family does not accept the bible as truth anymore than it would the Quran. For my family, the truth and the light exist in SD.

It would be my hope that anyone who felt the same way would have an appropriate temple to visit instead of this sort of church. As with all things, going to the source is far better.

Thread Information