Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sahasranama

Sahasranama

Namaste,

Does anybody here recite the Sahasranama for any particular deity? I am thinking of incorporating the chanting of the Vishnu Sahasranama as part of my sadhana. I know that there is Shiva Sahasranama and Ganesha Sahasranama as well, so this is not confined to any one sect.

Does anybody here chant any of the the Sahasranamas or know of any resources with a complete list of names?

Jai Sri Krishna

Re: Sahasranama

Namaste,

I assumed that at least someone here could have helped me! Or is Sahasranama a rare practice that people don't really chant anymore?

For those of you that don't know, Sahasranama is the 1,000+ names for a specific deity.

Jai Sri Krishna

Vannakam Ramakrishna

It is a puja that a lot of people buy at the temples. There are links on here to lists as well. I found Ganesha's the other day after your first post. It took awhile though. Will try again. I used to do 108.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakam Ramakrishna

It is a puja that a lot of people buy at the temples. There are links on here to lists as well. I found Ganesha's the other day after your first post. It took awhile though. Will try again. I used to do 108.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste Eastern Mindji,

From what I read, I thought Sahasranama was just chanting the holy names. When you used to do 108, there was a puja you performed while chanting the holy names?

Thanks for the help

Jai Sri Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna View Post
    Namaste,

Does anybody here chant any of the the Sahasranamas or know of any resources with a complete list of names?

Jai Sri Krishna
    dear ramkrishna ji,

This is a wonderful website with adi shankara's commentary on all the 1000 names of vishnu sahashranama. I hope it will be beneficial to you.
    http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/sh...m-meanings.htm

I don't chant it, but I listen to it some times, it's very powerful. Vishnu sahashranama comes in anushashana parva of mahabharata, it is recited by bheeshm ji to yudhisthira, also afterwards in same parva, lord krishna recites shiva sahashranama.

You can find, it's chanting on internet.
    When the light has risen, there is no day, no night, neither existence nor non-existence; Siva alone is there. That is the eternal, the adorable light of Savitri, - and the ancient wisdom proceeded thence (Svetasvatara Upanishad IV-18). :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramakrishna View Post
    Namaste Eastern Mindji,

From what I read, I thought Sahasranama was just chanting the holy names. When you used to do 108, there was a puja you performed while chanting the holy names?

Thanks for the help

Jai Sri Krishna
    Vannakkam:

Yes it is within a longer puja, called atmartha puja in my lineage. You offer a flower each time you say a name. I have done it for Siva, and Ganesha, back in what seems like another lifetime now when I was pandaram here. Saying the names of God while offering flowers, I though was fairly standard. Here is the one I used. The name bit is closer to the end. http://www.himalayanacademy.com/audi.../ganesha_puja/

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by isavasya View Post
    dear ramkrishna ji,

This is a wonderful website with adi shankara's commentary on all the 1000 names of vishnu sahashranama. I hope it will be beneficial to you.
    http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/sh...m-meanings.htm

I don't chant it, but I listen to it some times, it's very powerful. Vishnu sahashranama comes in anushashana parva of mahabharata, it is recited by bheeshm ji to yudhisthira, also afterwards in same parva, lord krishna recites shiva sahashranama.

You can find, it's chanting on internet.
    Namaste isavasyaji,

Thank you very much! That is exactly what I was looking for and more. I'm sure this will be very beneficial to me as I incorporate it into my sadhana.

Thanks again.

Jai Sri Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Vannakkam:

Yes it is within a longer puja, called atmartha puja in my lineage. You offer a flower each time you say a name. I have done it for Siva, and Ganesha, back in what seems like another lifetime now when I was pandaram here. Saying the names of God while offering flowers, I though was fairly standard. Here is the one I used. The name bit is closer to the end. http://www.himalayanacademy.com/audi.../ganesha_puja/

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste Eastern Mindji,

Thanks a lot! Now I have Vishnu Sahasranama and Ganesha Sahasranama. I'm looking forward to chanting them and I'll also do the puja sometime.

A flower for each name? That's a lot of flowers! Maybe I'll use grains of rice instead

Jai Sri Krishna

My father has recently been teaching me how to recite the Vishnu Sahasranama. Unfortunately since I don't live at home it's a slow process. He's able to recite all 1008 names of Sri Vishnu without even glancing at the paper. I don't know that I'd ever be that well-practiced. Seriously, how do you guys do this?

Here's one of my older post on the Vishnu Sahasranama with some links:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...16&postcount=9

My favorite sahasranamas are Vishnu Sahasranama and Lalita Sahasranama. I don't chant them daily, but when I feel like it.

The precursor of all sahasranamas is the vedic Shatarudriya which lists 300 names of Rudra.

Thread Information